You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benteke

kirkbyred1

Good player, but doesn't fit our setup.

One thing that would help was if we had one single player in the team capable of putting at least a normal, average quality cross in. Be it from set pieces or open play, not one of them seem to be able to do it.

Actually two things. He might want to actually move a little bit.

Good player, but doesn't fit our setup.

One thing that would help was if we had one single player in the team capable of putting at least a normal, average quality cross in. Be it from set pieces or open play, not one of them seem to be able to do it.

Saying that. When do you ever see him running onto a cross? He tends to stand and just jump straight up. He's an idiot imo, can't even seen to realize he should be attacking a cross as opposed to just jumping up from underneath. If you know what i mean.
  • Upvote 1

Saying that. When do you ever see him running onto a cross? He tends to stand and just jump straight up. He's an idiot imo, can't even seen to realize he should be attacking a cross as opposed to just jumping up from underneath. If you know what i mean.

My thoughts exactly. Bit poor for a player who supposedly thrives on crosses!

My thoughts exactly. Bit poor for a player who supposedly thrives on crosses!

Whenever I watch him he's always with a defender. He never seems to find space. The sign of a moron.

I have absolutely no faith in him doing anything for us because I just don't think he's very good.

Firmino, although admittedly is playing pretty shit at the minute. I do think he can turn it around, he has a brain. Unlike benteke.

• Upvote 2

I still can't work out why the fuck Rodgers was so desperate to sign him. One of his first (of few) good moves was to move Carroll on. After a year of abject failure with Balotelli, with the manager failing to fit him into a suitable role and the player unable to suddenly become Suarez, he goes and spoofs twice as much on a player offering only the same attributes. The truth is that in a sane world we wouldn't have signed him, because Rodgers should have been given a one way ticket out of town after the Stoke debacle. It must be as frustrating for the player as for us but unless we play like fucking Villa or Stoke, he's never going to fit in with our squad

• Upvote 4

Can someone find that post from back when with all the gifs and youtubes telling us how he was the complete striker again. Runs behind defences, scores all types of goals etc.

The post from the Villa "fan" who just conveniently decided to post how awesome he'd fit into our system to put all our fears at ease?

Fact is, Benteke is an above average target man who'd look great in a team like the mancs or any Pulis side, but not ours.

He'll score for us occasionally, but not nearly the amount of goals needed, nor in relation to the amount of money we spent on him.

Benteke is a good player, he's not worth what we paid and we didn't need him - but he's not shite, considering Rodgers signings usually had all three qualities, two out of three ain't bad. 

He'd be boss in a more direct team with a goal poacher playing off him, say Leicester or something. 

I think Benteke has been given a rough ride, probably too rough, by many on here. The big issue is the fee, which was not his fault. The other issue has been Sturridge and Ings, again, not his fault.

For me, the problems are much more pronounced in the attacking midfielder department.

When teams face us, they act like we are one of the big boys of Europe. Despite us not winning the league in 25 years, they park 10 men behind the ball and we have to deal with that in almost every game. In order to do that, you need top-level attacking players. If you look at the top level players across the top teams in Europe, the ones tasked with helping out the strikers and providing assists and goals from midfield, then our rosta of players in that position looks very poor compared with most others. This is why we have a big problem.

Liverpool: Firmino, Coutinho, Lallana, Ibe

United: Mata, Herrera, Valencia, Young (just as bad as us)

City: Sterling, Nasri, Navas, De Bruyne, Silva

Arsenal: Ozil, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cazorla, Sanchez

Chelsea: Oscar, Hazard, Pedro, Willian

Spurs: Lamela, NJie, Alli, Chadli, Eriksen

That said, you could say that the only teams without big problems are Arsenal, if you look at the league table. City are 4 points off Arsenal, and 6 points off Leicester.

Our top assist-maker at present is Coutinho, with 3. That's the same amount of assists as the likes of Villa midfielder Veretout, Leicester's Danny Drinkwater, Everton full back Seamus Coleman, Matt Ritchie of Bournemouth, and Sunderland shithouse Yann MVilla.

Our top two assist makers, Countinho and Milner, have 6.

Leicester's top two, Albrighton and Mahrez, have 13.

Arsenal's top two, Ozil and Cazorla, have 18.

Everton's top two, Deulofeu and Barkley, have 13.

Spurs' top two, Eriksen and Lamela, have 9.

City's top two, Silva and De Bruyne, have 12. Even Toure has another 5.

You can point the finger all you want at Benteke, but the problem lies further back.

• Upvote 3

I think Benteke has been given a rough ride, probably too rough, by many on here. The big issue is the fee, which was not his fault. The other issue has been Sturridge and Ings, again, not his fault.

For me, the problems are much more pronounced in the attacking midfielder department.

When teams face us, they act like we are one of the big boys of Europe. Despite us not winning the league in 25 years, they park 10 men behind the ball and we have to deal with that in almost every game. In order to do that, you need top-level attacking players. If you look at the top level players across the top teams in Europe, the ones tasked with helping out the strikers and providing assists and goals from midfield, then our rosta of players in that position looks very poor compared with most others. This is why we have a big problem.

That said, you could say that the only teams without big problems are Arsenal, if you look at the league table. City are 4 points off Arsenal, and 6 points off Leicester.

Our top assist-maker at present is Coutinho, with 3. That's the same amount of assists as the likes of Villa midfielder Veretout, Leicester's Danny Drinkwater, Everton full back Seamus Coleman, Matt Ritchie of Bournemouth, and Sunderland shithouse Yann MVilla.

You can point the finger all you want at Benteke, but the problem lies further back.

You're right about two things; people have given him a hard time and he had no control over the size of the fee. Other than that, he's been wank.

He's supposedly a player who thrives on crosses. Ive never seen a player so bad at anticipating a cross or judging the flight of a cross. Id say that's a massive impediment for any player who thrives on crosses.

He needs to up his game and look arsed else he should be shipped out back to the fucking villa.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, but a lot of that is nonsense. Assists? Bantekes job is get on the end of chances created and score. The fact that he's incapable of doing so indicates that he's not doing his job, and that's why our players behind him have shit assist stats.