You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

Moores and Hicks and Gillett. Especially the latter of the years listed under Hicks and Gillett. I think we've had more than enough money to compete. I really do.

I already said disregard the anomaly of Hicks/Gillett ownership, so why bring them into it?

Under Moores we were obviously more successful than we are now, so he was a better owner for us.   The trophy count speaks for itself. 

• Upvote 1

I already said disregard the anomaly of Hicks/Gillett ownership, so why bring them into it?

Under Moores we were obviously more successful than we are now, so he was a better owner for us.   The trophy count speaks for itself.

I bring them up because it's the second half of that group listed. I think Moores is the reason we are in the position we are instead of carrying on as we were in the 70s and 80s. I think it has taken us decades to recover from him and his mismanagement of the club. He dropped the ball, tripped up over it, and when it came to selling the family silver he decided to sell it to frauds for an extra few quid in his pocket.

To each his own, though. I think Rafa and Houllier were the reason for our trophies, against the bad ownership, not Moores.

"In the days when David Moores and Rick Parry were in charge, it was really, really good. They were people who really understood football. They could really understand the fans and the manager and the players.

"Unfortunately, that board didn't have the money to compete against the top sides and he (Moores) had to sell.

"In terms of the way they were running the club, it was like a family, very close. I was quite confident. Then everything changed, they changed directors and owners and ran it more as a business rather than a football club.

"The team was improving but other teams came in with so much money and it was impossible."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11062333/rafael-benitez-believes-the-premier-leagues-riches-makes-it-hard-for-liverpool-to-win-titles

I bring them up because it's the second half of that group listed. I think Moores is the reason we are in the position we are instead of carrying on as we were in the 70s and 80s. I think it has taken us decades to recover from him and his mismanagement of the club. He dropped the ball, tripped up over it, and when it came to selling the family silver he decided to sell it to frauds for an extra few quid in his pocket.

To each his own, though. I think Rafa and Houllier were the reason for our trophies, against the bad ownership, not Moores.

Moores and Parry fucked up the sale, no doubt.  But we were definitely more competitive back then than we are now, unfortunately.

Moores and Parry fucked up the sale, no doubt.  But we were definitely more competitive back then than we are now, unfortunately.

We came out of an amazing period of success and started to unravel in direct correlation to his stewardship. It's gone, there's little point arguing about it. But he started the slide that is being slowed right now in my view. Dreadful dropping of the ball. Ah well, I think that's about as far into that as I want to get.

He gave his all for the club he loved and turned up at games, sure he wasn't a great businessman but friggin hell... I'm sure he utterly regrets some of his decisions where as John Henry wouldn't give one fuck.

There's absolutely no doubt that he loves the club, is a great guy, turned up, and is regretful, nor that he cares more than John Henry. I mean, that has zero to do with anything I said and I agree with it all, but it doesn't change things.

Moores and Parry fucked up the sale, no doubt. But we were definitely more competitive back then than we are now, unfortunately.

He gave his all for the club he loved and turned up at games, sure he wasn't a great businessman but friggin hell... I'm sure he utterly regrets some of his decisions where as John Henry wouldn't give one fuck.

I reckon that £89m probably softened the blow.

Sounds a bit like deflection blaming all the previous owners for our untapped potential.

In an era of unprecedented tv money,financial rewards with the huge growth of football globally. You can't absolve FSG from their failures.

Well they haven't failed off the pitch. The greedy cunts will be very satisfied with the investment return.

• Upvote 1

Sounds a bit like deflection blaming all the previous owners for our untapped potential.

In an era of unprecedented tv money,financial rewards with the huge growth of football globally. You can't absolve FSG from their failures.

£700m spent but it's all traced back to Moores.  

Well he recognised he could only take the club so far and that it needed £££ as the market had skyrocketed! He could of stayed and fleeced the fuck out of the club with no investment... But he wanted us to be competitive, do these want us to be competitive for trophies or just to tick over making £££... Customers not fans remember....

And yes I'm sure the extra ££ cash he got was nice, I don't remember anyone at the time thinking how bad H & G would be....

He chose Gillett, who didn't have enough money so got somebody in last minute, were last minute bidders after deals were agreed, and chose them above somebody who would have...

Ah.. yeah, fuck it. It's a long time gone.

Well they haven't failed off the pitch. The greedy cunts will be very satisfied with the investment return.

Have you read the accounts? To my understanding, they aren’t taking any kind of dividend and we’re actually operating on a slight loss. There’s a loan that we’re repaying, but I can’t see anything untoward in that. If I’m missing something, please enlighten me.

Woolster? I’m sending out the bat signal. Are the owners taking the piss out of us and siphoning money out of the club to line their own pockets? I suspect that would be rather big news if it were true.

Not trying to ‘deflect blame’ or ‘defend’ them. Just think we need some basis in reality when we have these conversations.

• Upvote 1

Their impact upon the club is what they should be judged on. Scott, being serious for a second, there's lots of factors influencing where the club finishes. I put the 2005 Europe Cup win down to Rafa and his team, I don't think it was down to David Moores. Saying 'FSG' are responsible when we finish seventh, and responsible for if we win, is silly. If we win, it'll be down to Klopp. FSG need to be judged on the things they are in control of. They are there to make sure that the club is in a health position (it is, there's no denying that. It's a clear verifiable fact), they're there to ensure money is available for the manager (we've had 700m worth of new players, regardless of how it was funded), and they are there to run the club. The last thing, I think there's some issues with. The ticketing, some of the senior leadership, etc, these have been questionable or just bad at times. I've no issue slagging these people off, but putting the blame for everything, all the time, no matter their involvement or lack of it, is just stupid. It's indicative of somebody without the ability for rational thinking, and it bugs me. I don't give a fuck about FSG, they mean nothing to me. I would like John Henry to actually be more involved, he's a clever guy. But as long as the money is there for our manager to spend, and it appears to be, then I'm not going to start losing my shit about it. But no, league position is not a reliable way of judging ownership. Had the footballing management done what Klopp is now instead of buying a raft of shit players, I've no doubt we would have won more and finished higher; that wouldn't have made FSG any better. Judge them on fair measures, if they fall short of those then I've no issue with the boot being shoved into their arse.

I get what your saying and agree to a point. Blaming or crediting them for a result in any one particular season can sometimes get overblown. However owners don't operate in a vacuum either. For example getting rid of a manager leading a team to relegation is decisive intervention by an owner that does have an impact on 1 particular season's results. In FSG's case I think our continued underperforming re Spurs over all 7 years of their tenure does put them in a bad light in terms of results on the pitch. I don't think they should escape a share of responsibility for that.

We are in a good spot currently. I put most of that down to one man and his coaching staff. If said man leaves I do not trust that FSG can sustain current 'success'. Them bringing financial stability back to the club is a good thing, but has been hugely aided by TV deals propping up all Premier League clubs relative to European counterparts. We shall see, but I am skeptical.

• Upvote 3

So your saying the current squad is good enough then?

No, I'm saying the way we went about improving it before didn't work, so if there's another way to do it, then let's give it a go.  Smart spending is better than profligate spending when you don't have as much as others.

This manager isn't Brendan where the only way to solve a problem was to buy your way out of it, he coaches too.  Give it a chance, he's taking a longer term view, he has a long-term contract and that obviously is his planning horizon.  Not every problem needs to be solved in the here and now.

• Upvote 2

Not new stuff but this highlights what goes on in the background to deflect from their hedgefund background and sell a feel-good story. This from the communications company they employed. 

FenwaySports Group – Liverpool FC The Challenge To help ensure NESV’s takeover of Liverpool FC was seen by local, national and international media and stakeholders as positive for the Club. Position NESV as an organisation that can be trusted, is credible and has a compelling vision for the Club’s future. 

The Outcome NESV succesfully took over ownership of Liverpool FC on 15 October 2010 after a highly intense negotiation and heavily scrutinised legal battle with the previous owners. 

The subsequent newspaper headlines concerning NESV’s purchase of LFC, particularly given the significant initial scepticism towards one set of US owners being replaced by another, indicate the success of the campaign and NESV-VERO effort.

VERO’s Role Develop and implement an integrated communications campaign covering the takeover period, the deal announcement and the immediate weeks after Develop key messages and speaking points Provide strategic counsel to senior NESV executives Brief key media, print and broadcast, on a regular basis Draft press statements in cooperation with NESV executives and legal team Presentation training for bid leadership, athletes and ambassadors Advise NESV executives on media and stakeholder activity in the immediate period following the successful takeover Provide ‘breaking news’ media reports and monitoring throughout

http://www.verocom.co.uk/case-study/fenway-sports-group-liverpool-fc/

There is no point debating with people who will 100% carte blanche never question the manager's decisions. The same people who take everything he says in public as gospel, like he hasn't got a track record of chatting rubbish (for a good purpose, to uphold harmony within the squad).

It makes me wonder why those people are even on here. 

People are genuinely sat here trying to convince themselves and others that Klopp is "more than happy" to have sold his best fucking player in the middle of a season in which he is battling on three fronts, and not bringing anybody in to replace him. 

You're fucking bonkers if you're taking what he's said in the press conference as gospel (this is the same guy who said there weren't five better defenders than the three we started the season with).

He's talking shit to avoid any sense of panic, for our current squad and for people we're trying to negotiate with. We need to strengthen the fucking squad - he knows it, I know it, and deep down, everybody on this fucking site knows it.