You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Victor Valdes

WhiskeyJar

And you can name a keeper who definitely would have saved more of them? Because if you do, you're in a minority. Nearly everyone I know who saw that shoot out said all the pens were top drawer.

A few went through his hands. No chance Neuer or Courtois let in 15 of the 16.

The thing about Valdes is that while his best games are miles better than Mignolet's, he is prone to the odd howler.  Well, all keepers are, but Valdes more so than most, at least among those at the top.  That means you can find youtube videos of Valdes dropping crosses and flubbing easy shots, perhaps a few more than other keepers, but he's so good the rest of the time that it ends up being a huge net positive.

I could see him stopping 6 or 7 shots that Mignolet wouldn't (probably half of them by being quicker off his line and not allowing the shot in the first place) but then dropping a cross into an opponent's lap at some point.  The net result is still 5 or 6 fewer goals conceded, which is massive.  Add to that the fact that his distribution would be miles better than Simon's and he'd be a really good signing in my opinion.

It might just be me, but I find it a bit odd when people refer to a professional goalkeeper as a “good shot stopper”.  Surely that’s the most basic of attributes that he’d notice on the 1st day he went into a goalmouth and realised he was capable?  Is there a ‘keeper in any of the top 2-3 divisions who isn’t a very good shot stopper?  I’d have thought situational awareness, command of his box, distribution, etc, would be the things worth discussing?

• Upvote 1

It might just be me, but I find it a bit odd when people refer to a professional goalkeeper as a “good shot stopper”.  Surely that’s the most basic of attributes that he’d notice on the 1st day he went into a goalmouth and realised he was capable?  Is there a ‘keeper in any of the top 2-3 divisions who isn’t a very good shot stopper?  I’d have thought situational awareness, command of his box, distribution, etc, would be the things worth discussing?

I think the thing is that they can all 'stop shots' (ha)  but some will be better than others, and thus be described as 'good'. It tends to be the likes of James and Mignolet who make impossible saves sometimes who lack in the other aspects.

It's like fast outfield players or technically amazing players, either skill is enough to be useful, if someone combines the two they are a rare fucker indeed.