You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

And besides, you cant eat decking. There'll be homegrown coriander in the salsa tonight

How very dare you. I'm a fucking chef. Look at my avatar.

I have a herb garden round the side, and once the pile of decking is out of the way we embark on the kitchen garden (next project).

How very dare you. I'm a fucking chef. Look at my avatar.

I have a herb garden round the side, and once the pile of decking is out of the way we embark on the kitchen garden (next project).

Noooo. Hadnt I just been lauding your decking plan? I love decking. I love your decking. I was simply wanting to boost the dented egos of those unfavourably comparing their horticultural endeavours to your outdoor building project. Its all good to me.

PS Off to Chelsea Flower Show next week. Cant wait

Guest Pistonbroke

Thats what I did with mine. Beats the shit out of buying a pot of it from the supermarket.

Very true, plus it costs a lot for a decent pesto and you end up chucking half of it away as once opened you have to use it sharpish. 

I've got one of them too, although the ideas to conversion rate can be a challenging at times

She'll probably say different, but I reckon my conversion rate is damn good. The deck is the biggest project I have taken on and I have to be honest, it is pretty daunting.

Looking good there stringy. I am jealous of you having spring. It's on the way, but won't be in full tilt until end of May.

And did you notice his basil growing outdoors? Tell me you bought that in a pot and didnt grow it from seed, Stringers. And what plans for your raised beds?

And did you notice his basil growing outdoors? Tell me you bought that in a pot and didnt grow it from seed, Stringers. And what plans for your raised beds?

My basil is growing very well indoors currently, as is my coriander and mint. Mrs RiS has a whole bunch of squash plants in the lounge waiting to go outside too.

My basil is growing very well indoors currently, as is my coriander and mint. Mrs RiS has a whole bunch of squash plants in the lounge waiting to go outside too.

A few greenhouse shots beckon, I think

So ifthey'rerowing herbs, should I buy them from seed or just buy a pot from Sainsbury's?

Get seeds. You'll feel like less of a fraud.

The pots of herbs they sell in supermarkets say they're not not meant as growing plants but for immediate use. I dont know how they're grown but they dont tend to last very long when you get them home even if you do water them

My gardening career is about two months older than yours.

For my basil plants I whacked a few of those water retaining crystals in with the soil, water the plants once every two or three days (depending on the weather), and just try and get them to have plenty of sunshine. Today I've finally decided to give them a bit of plant food.

I've only had to do a tiny bit of weeding, but I've also cropped the leaves a bit to allow new, bigger, stems to grow, and to prevent the leaves getting a bit to bunched up.

Excellent.

I'm currently doing a spot of gardening for my mother. Any tips on enrichening soil, weeding and the like? Is buying mulch a necessity or preferred?

Be gentle.

Are we talking a few pots or half an acre, looking after the garden while she's away for a week or indefinitely?

• Upvote 1

Thanks RiS. Mostly from seed, in propagators. Those pots are near the house, so it's easy to pick while cooking. I have a big herb bed at the bottom of the garden near the raised beds. Beds will have green beans, peas, chillies, strawbs, sweetcorns and leeks. All going in this weekend. All that's there atm is a lonely banana plant.

Excellent.

I'm currently doing a spot of gardening for my mother. Any tips on enrichening soil, weeding and the like? Is buying mulch a necessity or preferred?

Be gentle.

The only supermarket herb we have had any real success with was mint, which grows like buggery. Perfect if you like a mojito in the summer or some pimms. 

Best thing for us over here where the climate is a bit harsher is to always start indoors with small pots. We have had good results from all herbs we have planted. Get a couple of seeding trays that have a plastic cover. They are well cheap and great for getting stuff going. Then move it outside once they have established. I don't go madly in for finding out what plants need what sort of soil. We use manure from the local farmer on most things and it all seems to thrive.

Another one that grows really well is lettuce. Chives too. Just use decent soil to start with and keep watering them.

• Upvote 1

Are we talking a few pots or half an acre, looking after the garden while she's away for a week or indefinitely?

Indefinitely I'd say. A few pots sounds about right.

The only supermarket herb we have had any real success with was mint, which grows like buggery. Perfect if you like a mojito in the summer or some pimms. 

Best thing for us over here where the climate is a bit harsher is to always start indoors with small pots. We have had good results from all herbs we have planted. Get a couple of seeding trays that have a plastic cover. They are well cheap and great for getting stuff going. Then move it outside once they have established. I don't go madly in for finding out what plants need what sort of soil. We use manure from the local farmer on most things and it all seems to thrive.

Another one that grows really well is lettuce. Chives too. Just use decent soil to start with and keep watering them.

So would you say I'm best sowing seeds in pots first, then moving them to the garden once they've matured a little? There aren't farms in abundance around here. Is there anywhere I could purchase shite from?

I was thinking about doing the seeding tray things with my basil and mint.