You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

You've always had it in for him. And you still do, hence arguing winning the UEFA Cup does not constitute success (until someone pointed out to you that they'd already gone out of the CL by the time he was appointed, at which point you looked a bit daft).

At the start of a season, if you asked one of the top 4 clubs if winning the EL would be success it would be open to debate. Some would say yes, some would say no. I would said 'no' but that's just me, it's a subjective point.

That applies to whoever the manager is. We even had people saying the same on here this season when we got knocked out.

It's a debatable point.

Someone pointed out the context of that season and I reassessed my original point.

How horrible of me to take into account a good point and reassess. Shocking behaviour.

The irony of someone who was on a one man mission to portray Rafa as a fuckwitted buffoon telling people how they should respect Rodgers more. Absolutely staggering lack of self-awareness and humility. I'd be in hiding if I were you, Brownie.

You sound like a girl now. And you're just making shit up.

Please point out where I ever said that about Benitez. You won't be able to. That's all in your head.

The irony of someone who was on a one man mission to portray Rafa as a fuckwitted buffoon telling people how they should respect Rodgers more.  Absolutely staggering lack of self-awareness and humility.  I'd be in hiding if I were you, Brownie.

Reprising the squealing teenager routine again, Martin?  It's a cracker.  For what it's worth, Brownie is ten times the supporter you are.  He actually, you know, supports for a start.  That alone should be enough for you to start showing a little humility and stop stomping your little foot when someone holds an opinion that upsets your precious self.    

Despite not caring for Benitez one bit, I disagree with Brownie on the UEFA cup thing - I think it was an achievement anyone would celebrate, and I've posted to that effect, but your disproportionate tantrum is hilarious and is exactly the sort of behaviour you might expect from a 12 year old after too many sweets.  

Calm yourself down before you wet yourself.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, I imagined the whole thing where you acted like a brat for approximately three years until he finally fucked off.

Hey, who knows maybe Roy and Joey Cole will surprise a few people eh? How's that working out for you? Just attack, we're Liverpool.

I wasn't acting like a brat, I was giving my opinion on the things I liked and the things I didn't like.

It was the same with Hodgson (I gave him a chance but he was shite and I said so).

Same with Benitez, who used to get loads of stick on here in the early years and I defended him. I then had issues with him, as we are all entitled to, and I was honest with my views.

.If we'd won it this year of course i'd have been happy for some silverware but at the back of my mind i'd have still had the shite CL campaign in there.

I'm trying to stay out of the Rafa stuff because as much as I love the guy it's a complete non-starter, but this dropping out of the CL campaign needs addressing. 

He took over with, I think, only a single group game left. Chelsea needed to win and by a certain goal difference, but also had to rely on another team losing. They did win, by more than the required margin, but the other team also won/drew so the effort was fruitless. Nothing he could have done about that. It was in the hands of others.

As for not enjoying it, I suppose you'd have to ask Chelsea fans, but I recall watching a good swathe of them celebrating in the stadium.

I accept it wouldn't have been the aim at the start of the season, but that was beyond Rafa's control.

I think the point is getting lost somewhat but TK421 raises a valid point that is getting overlooked.

Very few of us can admonish fellow fans, especially if they have a history according to TK421 that one threatened to quit the game if the manager stayed.

That does seem very rich for Brownie to then sneer at other fans for offering views on the present manager.

• Downvote 1

I'm trying to stay out of the Rafa stuff because as much as I love the guy it's a complete non-starter, but this dropping out of the CL campaign needs addressing.

He took over with, I think, only a single group game left. Chelsea needed to win and by a certain goal difference, but also had to rely on another team losing. They did win, by more than the required margin, but the other team also won/drew so the effort was fruitless. Nothing he could have done about that. It was in the hands of others.

As for not enjoying it, I suppose you'd have to ask Chelsea fans, but I recall watching a good swathe of them celebrating in the stadium.

I accept it wouldn't have been the aim at the start of the season, but that was beyond Rafa's control.

Spot on. It's just a blatant rewriting of history to do down the man's (Benitez's) actual achievements by the same person arguing that Rodgers success in getting 2nd is being downplayed. One is an actual trophy (3rd most prestigious that can be won) the other is a footnote in history that led to nothing but embarrassment for the club.

That's a fair point mate, someone else made it and i've said that it definitely makes it a successful achievement on that basis.

• Upvote 1

Spot on. It's just a blatant rewriting of history to do down the man's (Benitez's) actual achievements by the same person arguing that Rodgers success in getting 2nd is being downplayed. One is an actual trophy (3rd most prestigious that can be won) the other is a footnote in history that led to nothing but embarrassment for the club.

Come on mate that last bit is overly harsh, surely?

I remember starting a thread praising Rafa at the end of 08/09 and saying that he deserved a new contract.

2nd place isn't a trophy but at the same time it's not something to be completely ignored or down-played.

You said the trophy had been tarnished after the point was made to you.

Yeah, as a general point, i.e. nothing to do with who is in charge.

If we'd sacked Rodgers after the CL campaign this season and then won the EL, the new manager would rightly be praised but in general i'd have the CL failure in the back of my mind (nothing to do with the new guy).

Come on mate that last bit is overly harsh, surely?

I remember starting a thread praising Rafa at the end of 08/09 and saying that he deserved a new contract.

2nd place isn't a trophy but at the same time it's not something to be completely ignored or down-played.

What good did 2nd do Benitez? Fuck all - it was merely a stick to beat him with. It's a psychological knock that harms you unless it is followed up with progress. Similar to silver in the Olympics - finishing second is the worst place to finish in a race. Like Benitez, Rodgers reaps the same rewards but he has much fewer mitigating factors in his favour because he is a much poorer manager with nothing like the pedigree which is beyond dispute.

I think the point is getting lost somewhat but TK421 raises a valid point that is getting overlooked.

Very few of us can admonish fellow fans, especially if they have a history according to TK421 that one threatened to quit the game if the manager stayed.

That does seem very rich for Brownie to then sneer at other fans for offering views on the present manager.

That's just completely and utterly not true.

Yeah, as a general point, i.e. nothing to do with who is in charge.

If we'd sacked Rodgers after the CL campaign this season and then won the EL, the new manager would rightly be praised but in general i'd have the CL failure in the back of my mind (nothing to do with the new guy).

That view would be unusual I'd say and rather negative - not fair-minded or balanced.

What good did 2nd do Benitez? Fuck all - it was merely a stick to beat him with. It's a psychological knock that harms you unless it is followed up with progress. Similar to silver in the Olympics - finishing second is the worst place to finish in a race. Like Benitez, Rodgers reaps the same rewards but he has much fewer mitigating factors in his favour because he is a much poorer manager with nothing like the pedigree which is beyond dispute.

If you follow it up with a really poor season then of course you'll be in trouble, as Benitez was and as Rodgers is now.

That view would be unusual I'd say and rather negative - not fair-minded or balanced.

You wouldn't be pissed off that we'd fucked up the CL campaign? Fair enough but I would.

Especially after the previous season. It would feel a bit like 'after the Lord Mayors show' and all that.

Of course it's fucking better than the alternative, i.e. what we have now!