You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top Bosses?

s(k)aturation

Don't know if anyone's noticed, but there's been a bit of chat here and there about the position of Liverpool Manager recently.

And it got me thinking... Shankly, the "founder", Paisley, unparallelled record, Kenny, 3 Championships and guided us through the tragedy of Hillsborough and its horrible aftermath, Houllier, that unforgettable treble and securing European Cup football again, Rafa, the miracles of Instanbul/Cardiff. And there have been others, less decorated.

So, who were the best in your opinion? You can only pick your top three. And IN ORDER, like a man-of-the-match. I'll start...

1.Paisley

2.Shankly

3.Dalglish

Measured by uniqueness of achievement;

1.Fagan

2.Houllier

3.Paisley

Measured by affection:

1. Shankly

2. Dalglish

3. Paisley

Shankly’s status as the father of our modern success is unchallenged.

Dalglish’s unique contribution as a player and manager and pastor to Hillsborough is in a league of its own.

Paisley supporters will justifiably claim that his three EC’s trump Fagan and Houllier’s senior and junior trebles. But fewer managers have done the treble than have won three ECs and six domestic titles.

How long will it be before any Liverpool manager challenges either list?

Paisley supporters will justifiably claim that his three EC’s trump Fagan and Houllier’s senior and junior trebles. But fewer managers have done the treble than have won three ECs and six domestic titles.

Eh? No other manager has won 3 european cups.

One of only three managers ever to win a treble in the history of the English game.

I thoroughly enjoyed the 2000-01 season, but let's be honest, the League Cup, UEFA Cup and even the FA Cup were much devalued by then.

Houllier's inclusion in a list of the top 3 Liverpool mangers is absurd.

Bill Shankly grabbed the club by the scruff of its neck and hauled it out of the doldrums, winning the 2nd division, before making us great. 3 league titles, 2 FA Cups and 1 UEFA Cup. Not to mention being cheated out of contesting the 1965 European Cup Final.

Kenny Dalgish won 3 leagues and 2 FA Cups (when it was still very much sought after) including a League and FA Cup double.

Rafa Benitez won the Champions League in his first season.

I thoroughly enjoyed the 2000-01 season, but let's be honest, the League Cup, UEFA Cup and even the FA Cup were much devalued by then.

Houllier's inclusion in a list of the top 3 Liverpool mangers is absurd.

Bill Shankly grabbed the club by the scruff of its neck and hauled it out of the doldrums, winning the 2nd division, before making us great. 3 league titles, 2 FA Cups and 1 UEFA Cup. Not to mention being cheated out of contesting the 1965 European Cup Final.

Kenny Dalgish won 3 leagues and 2 FA Cups (when it was still very much sought after) including a League and FA Cup double.

Rafa Benitez won the Champions League in his first season.

Any list of “the greatest” is subjective.

Houllier would not be in my list of the greatest Liverpool managers, I gave you that- but he has earned his place amongst the top three of those who have achieved the rarest records.

If winning a treble is so easy- why have only three mangers of English clubs ever done it?

The contributions of Shankly and Dalglish are beyond dispute, and I agree with your assessment.

But Houliier achieved what only three other managers have achieved in the history of our game. It will be a feat more generously appreciated in the future, than it is by some now.

I appreciate the 2000-01 season and thoroughly enjoyed being a part of those cup runs and attending the finals. However, to claim that treble was a greater achievement than Rafa winning the Champions League, in his first season, would be absurd. This "rarest records" thing is pointless. It's plain daft.