You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leap Of Faith

Colonol

There has been a lot of negativity on this forum of late and this has created a nasty atmosphere.

I am slightly excited and optimistic about the future direction of the club. I believe that we have intelligent owners that are going to introduce a new way of bringing this club forward.

I believe we will go into next season without the massive weight of expectation and be seen as underdogs and left to just get on with getting this club back to where it belongs.

I think the manager's name may not inspire most but that that role won't be as important in the overall structure. The manager may end up being Martinez or Rodgers but with names such as LVG, Clarke, Segura, Borrell and hopefully Paco around them the structure will bring us forward and a stable base will be formed for the future.

Anyone else opimistic or will this thread end up doomed? :wallbutt:

Guest Numero Veinticinco

A lot depends on who we get to run the football side of things. I think a total clearout and modernisation is long overdue, but we need to get the right people in to make it work.

Good post. And yes I am excited about the future. You have to understand the mentality of the majority of people fear change, hence why this forum is the way it is. But I am looking forward to this new structure, new people and hopefully a new outlook from others. This is a results business and it won't come over night but I love seeing change being delivered on this scale.

FSG are no mugs and are certainly not fucking about, as you have seen.

I am fully behind them and I hope they take this club forward.

i'm sitting on the fence. it's all an unknown quantity. so far, i don't like the way fsg have gone about their business. the 'concept' may work well, as long as we have competant people. success wont be achieved overnight. will the fans and management/ownersip tolerate another medoocre season, possobly w/o cl qualification??

time will tell!

I wouldn't say i'm excited but i think change of some sort is necessary, and i'm willing to believe our owners have sought proper advice on the matter.

To me that's not head in the sand mentality but simply giving the benefit of the doubt. I accept faith is a hard thing to come by, but it's depressing to see how quickly our fansbase turns these days. Maybe it was always like that, but some seem almost eager to believe the worst case scenario picked up from half-truths and press conjecture.

I think the main problem is that we don't have very many good players, and not enough money to rectify that.

So, we could put a gene-spliced, laboratory-raised SuperManager in charge, cloned from DNA of Paisley, Shankly, Stein, Mourinho and Michels, and even he wouldn't be able to turn Jordan Henderson or Stuart Downing into a top quality player

I think the main problem is that we don't have very many good players, and not enough money to rectify that.

So, we could put a gene-spliced, laboratory-raised SuperManager in charge, cloned from DNA of Paisley, Shankly, Stein, Mourinho and Michels, and even he wouldn't be able to turn Jordan Henderson or Stuart Downing into a top quality player

Top quality, no, but past form indicates that we could at least expect significantly more from both, something they've both displayed under various managers, none of whom are A list.

Half a dozen assists plus a couple of goals from Downing, and a few assists from Henderson, would have made a difference. As would one decent penalty taker, and i don't see either as being wholly unrealistic.

I am quite optimistic about the future, we need a change and we need to approach things differently, I refuse to believe the league will always be fought out between United and the Billionairs pissing contest.

But it all depends on who we bring in. £30m is enough money to drastically improve the squad, and together with anything brought in should allow us to challenge for the top four.

I am quite optimistic about the future, we need a change and we need to approach things differently, I refuse to believe the league will always be fought out between United and the Billionairs pissing contest.

But it all depends on who we bring in. £30m is enough money to drastically improve the squad, and together with anything brought in should allow us to challenge for the top four.

I certainly agree with this. We'd don't need to throw £100m at it just to get top four. Newcastle challenged for the top four, and they basically just spent the Carroll money. We need to clear all of the shit in the squad, even if it means taking a significant loss, and then we need to spend all available funds properly.

My fears are that the scouting network needs drastic improvement, as seen by the last few windows of transfers. Both in their shitness, and lack of imagination. Hopefully this is addressed.

Another fear is that we'll hang on to players because we know we'd make a big loss if we sold them. For e.g, Downing cost £20m, but is probably worth about £8m. Thats what I assume someone like Sunderland/Stoke would pay for him. Maybe they'd stretch to £10m. Take the hit and move on. The sooner we get Champions League football the better, and writing off a few million quid here and there on shit players will have obviously been worth it long term.

We certainly do need major changes.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Yes it is and yes it will.

Only going by the press reports.

Which if incorrect, means I am wrong with my point above.

Some have said we've got as much as 60m or more. Some have said AVB is going to be our manager, some said Klopp... I don't think anybody really knows.

Kenny didnt seem to think he was being kept back with fees, so not sure where it has come from.

Some have said we've got as much as 60m or more. Some have said AVB is going to be our manager, some said Klopp... I don't think anybody really knows.

Kenny didnt seem to think he was being kept back with fees, so not sure where it has come from.

Hopefully Dave Whelan will let us know asap!

I agree with most of your OP Colonel.

I'm actually excited to see how things are going to pan out. They've took a ballsy decision in sacking Kenny, a decision they didn't have to make. To me, the removal of Kenny shows that they will not tolerate failure in the league and a finish so far behind the front runners. I don't see this idea that they're coming in to fuck us over and they'll be quite happy sat in mid table.

Let's just wait and see. The club needed a shake up and that's what they're doing. They're ripping it out and starting again so let's give them a chance and see how it goes.

I'm not particularly inspired by Martinez or Rodgers but you have to judge their performances on their resources and the size of their clubs. Just because theyve staved off relegation doesn't mean they're aiming for that here. How do we know that with better players at their disposal they won't be able to translate their methods and deliver success? Im not saying they will, but the point is we don't know and shouldn't write people off before they're given a chance. Klopp and Benitez both fought relegation before getting their big chance and delivering success at the highest level. Pep had no managerial experience whatsoever, and before him Rijkaard, who's managerial career was in the lower reaches of the league before getting his chance and Barca and going on to lift the Champions League. Dortmund, Barca and Valencia obviously saw qualities in these men that they felt could be better utilised at a higher level, maybe those advising us see that in Martinez or Rodgers. I don't know, but let's just wait and see. Comparisons with Hodgson are ridiculous. He was an old negative manager who when given chances at big clubs had fucked them up every time. We are looking at young fresh managers with a reputation for playing attacking expansive high pressing football.

I'm not saying its all going to be rosy, far from it. But let's just give it a chance and give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. I'm sick of feeling negative and deflated with this football club, so I've decided in going to look at it with an open mind and see what this fresh approach can bring.

I don't doubt that FSG want to make us winners, but the obvious worry is that this is still a learning curve for them at a time of near-crisis for us.

Of equal concern to appointments for me is the level of financial backing that the new man will get.

We'll see some hysterical reactions to whoever is appointed manager, but they'll ultimately be judged on results.

I'm quite optimistic really, I think it's too early to pass judgement on the owners. But with Lucas coming back, not losing Suarez for a third of the season, downing surely can't be as shit again, Henderson will be better. Carroll will surely start looking like a player. We wont miss a stupid amount of pens again, nor hit the post 40 times. Add to this a couple of astute signings & I don't think we will be as bad as some are making out.

I wasn't inspired by Hodgson's appointment but I was optimistic (not for long, like). I see no reason to be angry / depressed / downbeat about where we are now as it's a clean slate by the looks of it. It might all go tits up but until it does I'm staying upbeat and optimistic about the future.

Good post. And yes I am excited about the future. You have to understand the mentality of the majority of people fear change, hence why this forum is the way it is. But I am looking forward to this new structure, new people and hopefully a new outlook from others. This is a results business and it won't come over night but I love seeing change being delivered on this scale.

What makes you say that? They've done fuck all right since coming to Liverpool.

What makes you say that? They've done fuck all right since coming to Liverpool.

Well they answered the fans' call for Kenny by giving him to us.

We were a mess when they got here, we're still a mess but I don't think failure to reach top 4 is FSG's fault. What they're doing right now is their chance to prove if they're up for the task imo, not what's gone on so far.

Well they answered the fans' call for Kenny by giving him to us.

We were a mess when they got here, we're still a mess but I don't think failure to reach top 4 is FSG's fault. What they're doing right now is their chance to prove if they're up for the task imo, not what's gone on so far.

What about their handling of Suarez affair? Sacking DoF and not appointing anyoen for ages, sacking a manager and having no one lined up for it?

The stadium?

Nope.

They haven't fucked about on the stadium issue at all.

The stadium isn't a transfer pot!

It is a £400m project that will seriously inhibit the spending power of the club in the short term, and can seriously damage the club if mishandled. It has to pay for itself, and it has to enable the club to grow also and not hinder future transfer funds.

What about their handling of Suarez affair? Sacking DoF and not appointing anyoen for ages, sacking a manager and having no one lined up for it?

The stadium?

The Suarez affair was a joke and was handled disgracefully.

They've sacked Commoli, and are now looking to restructure the set up. That tells us they're not happy with his performance and not happy with the structure as a whole. I have no problem with that, we all asked questions about last summers dealings and his position as a whole and they've acted decisively. It made no sense to rush someone in at the end of last season. They may well have their man/men already.

With Kenny's sacking, can you imagine the storm that would have been kicked up if it emerged the club were interviewing for Kenny's replacement behind his back in the final weeks of the season? There would have rightly been murder. He was sacked less than 2 weeks ago which isn't a long time. They acted decisively as soon as the season ended and didnt let things drag on. It's not yet the time to panic.

I'm frustrated about the stadium but we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. It's a massive decision which will determine our whole future. They haven't made any outrageous promises so we have to trust that all options are still being explored, and the right financing is available. They at least have a track record with Fenway Park's refurbishment so they have been here before in this situation.