You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Well?  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

Legend for me. He exemplifies The Liverpool Way (i.e. the spirit of the club, not the bitchy forum) with his work rate, his tenacity, his triumphs in the face of adversity and his all round loveliness. Sure, other players have won more, but they have had better teams around them and Dirk was bought as a striker, not as a right mid where he has played most of his career with us. Take a look at the behind the scenes video of our victory against the filth earlier this season. Every single member of staff, the police etc, come up to speak to Dirk first and have massive grins on their faces when doing so. I know that means fuck all when it comes to judging legend status or not, but it just shows you what an integral and much loved part of LFC Dirk has become, his Hillsborough memorial reading just underlined how much a part of the furniture he has become. I say keep him, if he is happy to be getting less games then a better squad player you could not ask for. I physically love our Dirk, I do. Hate the stick he gets from some.

If you ask the players and managers they'd probably say yes. He'll be missed on and off the pitch by he club when he leaves. Modern day legend, and in the top 5 players at the club over the past 5-10 years. Nice for him to sign off his career at Liverpool (if it is) with a cup winning goal.

I like him (how can you not?) but no legend. A good player who worked hard, and pushed the talent he had to the maximum. Not many have been pushing for him to be involved more this season which says it all.

If we weren't so successful before the modern era he probably would be. Not a legend for me but a class player who we've been lucky to have. Best attitude of any player for the last 10 years. Every player should have an attitude like him.

Is Carra a liverpool legend? Is Benitez a Liverpool legend?

Nah not a legend but he brought a lot to the table. You have to love the fella but legends are very hard to come by.

Agree with this and as I've said before,my criteria for legendary status is maybe too harsh for everybody else's judgement.

Based on my experience I would only cast Liddell,Shankly,Paisley and Dalglish on my legends list as I'd expect them to be undisputed on the whole.

Dirk falls into the great servant and top professional category to me at least.

Cult hero damns him with faint praise, as though he were some sort of peripheral figure who really is not a good footballer. So not a cult hero. But what about legend?

Dirk has been a good player for us. He came as a striker having scored a lot in the Dutch league but the demands of the team meant that he had to play on the right side more often than not. He never complained and always put in a shift. He is hard working and throughout his Liverpool career has weighed in with a number goals, many of them important ones. At this time he appears to be slightly on the wane, and it might be a good time to wave goodbye, for both parties. He can still do a job for someone, but at this stage of his career not us, unless he wants to be increasingly peripheral - and as an honest, competitive pro, he will likely want to play elsewhere. Dirk has always come across as a classy, genuine bloke. He seems a top man, and there are many good reasons why fans love him.

As for legend status, not for me, sorry. I think the term 'legend' needs to be conferred on a special elite who operated on a higher plane to Dirk. Dalglish, Hansen, Callaghan and all the other names that so easily roll off the tongue. They are our legends. Ideally the term 'legend' should be used for players who won big prizes with us (League or European Cup) though there are exceptions to this for certain players, like your Robbie Fowler's, who made an incredible impact in their own way while not being part of great sides who won the biggest prizes.

If we never had bought him we probably would have won more during that period.

What a shithouse statement to make.

Dirk will be remembered (by those that aren't cunts) as a 3rd tier legend with the likes of Sami, Xabi and Didi, always to be welcomed back with open arms.

If we never had bought him we probably would have won more during that period.

You really are a fucking prick sometimes. This being one of those times. He's achieved more in the game than you ever will, or were ever capable of achieving.

Cult hero damns him with faint praise, as though he were some sort of peripheral figure who really is not a good footballer. So not a cult hero. But what about legend?

Dirk has been a good player for us. He came as a striker having scored a lot in the Dutch league but the demands of the team meant that he had to play on the right side more often than not. He never complained and always put in a shift. He is hard working and throughout his Liverpool career has weighed in with a number goals, many of them important ones. At this time he appears to be slightly on the wane, and it might be a good time to wave goodbye, for both parties. He can still do a job for someone, but at this stage of his career not us, unless he wants to be increasingly peripheral - and as an honest, competitive pro, he will likely want to play elsewhere. Dirk has always come across as a classy, genuine bloke. He seems a top man, and there are many good reasons why fans love him.

As for legend status, not for me, sorry. I think the term 'legend' needs to be conferred on a special elite who operated on a higher plane to Dirk. Dalglish, Hansen, Callaghan and all the other names that so easily roll off the tongue. They are our legends. Ideally the term 'legend' should be used for players who won big prizes with us (League or European Cup) though there are exceptions to this for certain players, like your Robbie Fowler's, who made an incredible impact in their own way while not being part of great sides who won the biggest prizes.

I think Kuyt would agree with you.

...taken from 2009

"When I was a kid I adored AC Milan,’ says Kuyt with a beaming smile. ‘They were winning everything with some great Dutch players. Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard. But I always knew I was never going to be like one of the greats. Look at a player like Van Persie. He’s maybe not as good as Cruyff but he’s a typical Dutch player. He has the skill and the talent. But that’s not me...."

Daily Mail