You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trip to Merseyside

claussor

I've been a long time lurker on this forum and thoroughly enjoy the banter around here. However, now is the time to experience it live, so me and some of my friends want to visit Liverpool and watch a home game and perhaps one or two other PL fixtures if they can be squeezed in. One of my friends is a bluenose and would like to see Everton as well (I have no problem with that as I have sympathy for them too).

I thought asking you guys here at TLW would be a clever thing to do, as many of you are locals or out of towners who visits Merseyside often. So here are some questions some of you may be able to answers:

1: Hotels - which ones are recommended? Luxury is not needed. We are here to enjoy the area, not the hotel.

2: If we were to see another game or too in the same week, or weekend, which areas would be the easiest to travel to? E.g. Liverpool at home, perhaps Blackburn away or something?

3: Do you recommend car, bus or train?

4: Regarding tickets, I'd prefer tickets to the Centenary Stand or Main Stand, how is the best way of obtaining them?

5: Anything else I should know?

1. Depends on your price range. If you don't mind travelling there are a good few on the outskirts within 20 Minutes drive of the city centre and Anfield.

2. Wigan on train, Blackpool and Blackburn in the car. If you're feeling adventurous go to Tranmere across the water, much closer, but much more weird. Depends when you come and if we're playing Blackburn away when you come down. When are you thinking of coming down?

3. Take your car, everywhere but Anfield on a matchday

4. Keep your eye on here, failing that just wait till they go on sale at the ticket office

5. Not really, there is a reasonable chance of you getting tickets for one of the lesser teams at home. They are hard to come by and are the luck of the draw. Don't be surprised to come to the city without a ticket, and then get one on the day.

Thanks Antyawa - it needs to be said I'm from Denmark, so by car - I mean renting one.

Thats also why it's important I have the tickets before we are on the plane. I don't want to be the scapegoat when we are outside Anfield with no tickets and YNWA is roaring :-)

1- Just use expedia or something but be aware many hotels have policies of not booking Dutch cunts who smell of bacon. Last time i stayed at the Holiday Inn in city centre, pretty cheap but i get a discount and is close to some good pubs.

2- daytrip to london and you can get cheap tickets if you book ahead on Virgin; before that fucking Icelandic volcano blew its top I was going to Craven Cottage. Loftus Road is another ground that intrigues me but might be hard to get a ticket. Never been to Tranmere but I've deduced on here that you could get dry by bummed Ned Beatty-style at HT. Train ride to London is 5 cans Heineken (I don't do distance or time, just the amount of cans I can consume and still safely mind the gap). As well, you might see a fighting drunk kick Alex Feguson in the nuts at Euston.

3- Train. I struggled with a car because everyone was driving drunk on the wrong side of the road. And roundaboots fuck me up; never know who I am supposed to be yielding to. In Canada, we only yield to Asian drivers and moose.

4- Whatever you do don't send a letter postmarked in the L code. Write a letter spelling out your hopes and dreams. Say you've forced to watch Aarhus.

5- Keep your grubby mitts off Hans Island and why the fuck are you letting Greenland drill for oil?

1: Hotels - which ones are recommended? Luxury is not needed. We are here to enjoy the area, not the hotel.

Do a search and you will find a few good ones to choose from, knowing the location might be a problem if you are not familiar with the city, but Lord Nelson is cheap, excellent location and the staff is friendly, if you are looking for a bed and a shower it will do the trick. If you are many people travelling it might be an idea to look into renting a flat for the weekend.

2: If we were to see another game or too in the same week, or weekend, which areas would be the easiest to travel to? E.g. Liverpool at home, perhaps Blackburn away or something?

Why watch another game, have a look around the city and get to know the area, I`ve been over loads of times but I learn to know new things almost every time I`m over when it comes to pubs, clubs, restaurant etc

Go to one game and if some of the group wants to go to another one then let them, who cares about Blackburn, Bolton, Wigan, Evertoon either of the mancs anyway?

3: Do you recommend car, bus or train?

Train and taxi, if you are driving someone have to be sober and who would want to be in such a state during the trip.

Now I`m not familiar with airports in Denmark and their destinations, but you want to fly to either directly to Liverpool or Manchester or London all options are decent ones and I would compare time used with costs for all options but some extra time in the city should be worth some money I guess, especially for someone who travel for the first time.

4: Regarding tickets, I'd prefer tickets to the Centenary Stand or Main Stand, how is the best way of obtaining them?

Beggars cant be choosers, a package might be a good option for first time travellers as long as you cant get tickets on general sale, it also depends how big your group is, big group - more difficult to get tickets.

5: Anything else I should know?

A jester hat is obligatory at your first game.