You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

I can genuinely see them struggling again this season.

It will depend on how bad Bournemouth, Fulham and Nottingham Forest are on whether they are in a real relegation scrap or not, but for my money they will be down below half way again and possibly be in the relegation picture again.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Unfortunately there's always three teams that are shitter.

Yep the only thing this time is that they have a clear lack of goals in their team and have sold their only real threat unless DCL decides he wants to be a footballer again and not a fashion model. They will struggle but as you say there’s always 3 worse teams.

Fulham have a desperate record when they have come up in recent years - i'd be surprised if that changes.

Bournemouth are soft as shite as well.

I actually think Nottingham Forest may do best out of the 3 as the City Ground is a bastard of a place to go.

8 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

If Cooper continues to make a fist of it at Forest, perhaps he could come into the equation when it’s nearing Klopp’s departure? 

I think he seems a sound bloke and a decent manager but his eyes make the greek scouser look like he's never had a hangover in his life. 

21 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

If Cooper continues to make a fist of it at Forest, perhaps he could come into the equation when it’s nearing Klopp’s departure? 

If you want to win things, you’ve got to appoint a manager who has won things. There’s only ever been one Premier League-winning manager who hadn’t already won a top flight title somewhere as a manager - working behind the scenes with us, and getting Forest promoted, will not be enough. 

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Fulham have a desperate record when they have come up in recent years - i'd be surprised if that changes.

Bournemouth are soft as shite as well.

I actually think Nottingham Forest may do best out of the 3 as the City Ground is a bastard of a place to go.

Forest have made some decent signings. I'd fancy them to finish above the Shite.

Slight amusement this afternoon. In my local (Hertfordshire), walked in and the lad behind the bar says did you see that Everton fan. Me, no.

Anyway said bluenose appears in the bar wearing one of their away kits. Some daft white thing. He spots me with an LFC shirt on, keeps glaring but said nothing. I was waiting for some comment. 

Anyway, just said to the lad (Chelsea fan but 100% sound) behind the bar, can't we have him pickled and put in a jar?

We do need a village sign here.

3 hours ago, Ron B said:

If you want to win things, you’ve got to appoint a manager who has won things. There’s only ever been one Premier League-winning manager who hadn’t already won a top flight title somewhere as a manager - working behind the scenes with us, and getting Forest promoted, will not be enough. 

I see what you’re saying Ron, but some think Gerrard will be a likely contender and he’s not currently won anything either. To get a manager that’s won something we’d likely either be having to employ someone from one of the top four in England, or who’s been successful in one of the major leagues in Europe, but if they’re already employed by another big team then what would be the chance of that happening?
I was thinking more that Jurgen might be recommending the next manager (not that it worked at United with Ferguson and Moyes) and it might be possible he’d go for a highly rated younger coach that’d keep the momentum going rather than someone who might change things wholesale.

Gerrard in my view won't be anywhere near the level required to be a manager of a club of our standing, stature and ambition when Klopp goes.

Well not unless there is a very dramatic upturn in what he does.

He has zero experience of managing in the european cup and no significant success in european competition full stop.

He would need to take Aston Villa into europe, then prove himself at a club like Arsenal or Tottenham or at a good sized club in a top european league who are european cup regulars before he would even be in frame for us IMO.

Club legend - absofuckinglutely.

Great player - of fucking course, one of our greatest.

But for me he has a long way to go and a lot to do to be our manager.

Maybe he could be 'fast tracked' if he was here now and was learning from Klopp and learning about the way club operates now - but he isn't....I'd take Lijnders ahead of him for that reason as it stands.

9 minutes ago, an tha said:

Gerrard in my view won't be anywhere near the level required to be a manager of a club of our standing, stature and ambition when Klopp goes.

He has zero experience of managing in the european cup and no significant success in european competition full stop.

He would need to take Aston Villa into europe, then prove himself at a club like Arsenal or Tottenham or at a good sized club in a top european league who are european cup regulars before he would even be in frame for us IMO.

Maybe he could be 'fast tracked' if he was here now and was learning from Klopp and learning about the way club operates now - but he isn't....I'd take Lijnders ahead of him for that reason as it stands.

It's a big season for him at Villa but he's definitely got the potential to be a successful manager here. I don't think there can be much doubt that he'll manage here, I'd like to see him manage abroad maybe in Germany. There's no need to rush him into the job. 

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It's a big season for him at Villa but he's definitely got the potential to be a successful manager here. I don't think there can be much doubt that he'll manage here, I'd like to see him manage abroad maybe in Germany. There's no need to rush him into the job. 

I can't see him being the man for when klopp goes.

Whether he proves himself as potentially good enough in the years to come after that only time will tell.

7 hours ago, an tha said:

I can genuinely see them struggling again this season.

It will depend on how bad Bournemouth, Fulham and Nottingham Forest are on whether they are in a real relegation scrap or not, but for my money they will be down below half way again and possibly be in the relegation picture again.

Can they be the first team to win the league and get relegated in the same season?

They’ve been close before, after winning it in September and nearly getting relegated in May so it definately can be done.

38 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Can they be the first team to win the league and get relegated in the same season?

They’ve been close before, after winning it in September and nearly getting relegated in May so it definately can be done.

Would be a real highlight to add to their list of firsts alongside incredible achievements like:

• First club to have a church attached to its stadium
  • First club to sell tickets via text message

12 hours ago, coachpotato said:

I see what you’re saying Ron, but some think Gerrard will be a likely contender and he’s not currently won anything either. To get a manager that’s won something we’d likely either be having to employ someone from one of the top four in England, or who’s been successful in one of the major leagues in Europe, but if they’re already employed by another big team then what would be the chance of that happening?
I was thinking more that Jurgen might be recommending the next manager (not that it worked at United with Ferguson and Moyes) and it might be possible he’d go for a highly rated younger coach that’d keep the momentum going rather than someone who might change things wholesale.

Not won anything... Well except in his first job and he's only been in his 2nd job for half a season. Ok, Scotland isn't here, but he can only win what was in front of him. The team he built made it to the EL final this season. That's not taking anything away from rangers current coach, but you have to acknowledge Gerrard did a pretty good job up there. 

12 hours ago, an tha said:

I always thought villa was a stupid job to take. I don't know what success looks like there - especially if his aim is to get here. I thought he would have looked to get a job somewhere that's a step up from Scotland but gives him a chance of some CL experience. Perhaps his lack of languages held him back in that regard. 

I'm not sure about ljinders. Klopp certainly loves him as a coach. But he's had management experience and it lasted 2 minutes before heading back here. Some fellas are made to be number 2. I like the idea of getting someone in who is happy to use the structure klopp has built, so only the head job changes, but the backroom team stays together. 

29 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Not won anything... Well except in his first job and he's only been in his 2nd job for half a season. Ok, Scotland isn't here, but he can only win what was in front of him. The team he built made it to the EL final this season. That's not taking anything away from rangers current coach, but you have to acknowledge Gerrard did a pretty good job up there. 

I always thought villa was a stupid job to take. I don't know what success looks like there - especially if his aim is to get here. I thought he would have looked to get a job somewhere that's a step up from Scotland but gives him a chance of some CL experience. Perhaps his lack of languages held him back in that regard. 

I'm not sure about ljinders. Klopp certainly loves him as a coach. But he's had management experience and it lasted 2 minutes before heading back here. Some fellas are made to be number 2. I like the idea of getting someone in who is happy to use the structure klopp has built, so only the head job changes, but the backroom team stays together. 

I dont see the fuss with Ljinders as a manager. He's a superb coach in Klopp's set up but not as a manager at our level. Gerrard will be a success overall,but I think the Liverpool job will and should be a little bit away from him for a few years yet. The problem with the Villa role is 'How do you define success there?'

10 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I dont see the fuss with Ljinders as a manager. He's a superb coach in Klopp's set up but not as a manager at our level. Gerrard will be a success overall,but I think the Liverpool job will and should be a little bit away from him for a few years yet. The problem with the Villa role is 'How do you define success there?'

I don't know if Gerrard will be a good coach, but he made a good start at rangers I think - and rangers fans would too if he was still there. 

The bit in bold is what I was saying in my post. If he stabilised villa, kept them in the top half, a couple of good cup runs and was still in his job in 3 years would represent good work i think. But does it get him any closer to the job here? I don't think so. Maybe he's good with that, thinks he can do 3 years at villa and will find another step up somewhere else. But I'd have thought he has one eye on when klopp's contract ends - has he been a manager for 4 years now? So by then it would be 8? He needs to go and take another job before then imo unless he somehow gets villa into the CL or wins the EL. 

13 hours ago, coachpotato said:

I think the difference is that Klopp would do the right thing and try to get the right man in, as he sees it. I don't think that whisky-nosed twat had any intention other than ensuring that no-one overshadowed him, or took any gloss away from him, in the then near future. He's probably regretting that a little now. mind.

• Upvote 1

There were a good few people who didn‘t think Sir Bob should succeed Shanks at the time; Bob himself says he was one of them. Agree about Stevie G not being ready for a long time yet; open minded about Linders but appointing from within worked well for us till the King went. 

• Upvote 2