You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

3 minutes ago, Jockey said:

I like the way they console themselves with the fact that Moyes left for United, Koeman 'left' for Barcelona, Brown Shoes 'left' for Belgium and now Carlo has left for Madrid. 

My girlfriend has left me and I am back to wanking myself silly on a Friday night - but she left me for a much better looking lad than me, with more money and better prospects - so actually, when you think about it - I am winning. 

Well they have very little to celebrate, so it’s understandable.

Sorry to hear about your gf

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, Poster said:

Well they have very little to celebrate, so it’s understandable.

Sorry to hear about your gf

That's fine - I'm seeing if my ex-will come back, she was boring and unattractive but she was good with money and loyal. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Everybody has a job that they are embarrassed about and purposely keep of their CV.

For Ancelotti, that’s Everton. 

“No! I didn’t manage at Everton...er...I was in prison. “

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Stickman said:

Carlo hasn't even been gone 24 hours and yet it always comes back to....

Does anyone else commemorate the date of the UEFA decision? I'm guessing that even the other teams who missed out acknowledge that that wasn't the real tragedy or "misjustice" of Heysel. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Anubis said:

The Ancelotti thread on GOT is a sight to behold over the past 24hrs. From man of integrity and elder statesman of the game, to conniving snake who brought shit football. It’s a glorious lesson in having the balloon of self-delusion pricked by the pin of reality. They’re now desperately hanging their hat on a line in the Mail suggesting Real, Barca and Juve will be banned from Europe for a season by UEFA.

The unfuniest bunch of posters you can ever read. Full on fuckin weirdos.

He should have just hung on til Christmas after buying Isco, Samuel Umtiti and Diego Costa, losing a load of home games then put up the obligatory Christmas tree after saying how good a side Liverpool were.

Would have had his contract paid up. Then could take over at Real Madrid when they sack their manager.

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

The Mosh was going to pull the trigger? Yeah, ok Dom...

Nice of them to have a picture of Carlo with the European Cup right next to “Ancelotti’s record at Everton”....I wonder if they’re still claiming it ? 

Ah, now we know why Ancelotti jumped ship. Catcher had come to a fork in the road and was unlikely to continue to support him. nobody can recover from that.

catcherintherye

Player Valuation: £70m
James will probably want to go, but then I wasn't really convinced he was going to stay anyway. Allan might be a bit miffed but I can't see him kicking up a fuss, and from what I've seen of him we are very much his level at this point in his career, he ain't slumming it here. Doucoure would have walked over broken glass to come here the season before we signed him, and again, he is absolutely not getting a better gig than this so would have no reason to go. I repeatedly said I didn't want Ancelotti to be sacked but I won't lie I feel like this is a massive bullet dodged and the opportunity to get back on track. Whether we'll make the right appointment to do that is anyone's guess, but I had no faith whatsoever that we were going anywhere under Ancelotti. He wasn't a good fit at all, and I think the best we could have hoped for was a similar season next year where we just clung on to Europe instead of falling away. There was no chance of lasting success going about things the way he did.

Yes I share a lot of those views. I have been very defensive of Ancelotti, partly because I think the points he's got are better than the league position but partly because in general I think we turn on managers a bit quickly and I am in favour of giving people time. But the doubts certainly started to creep in for me.

I kind of felt we had got to a bit of a fork in the road. One way was the way Ancelotti wanted to go, the other was the way the club probably needs to go if it wants to move in a sustainable direction. I don't think there was anyone in the club who was able/prepared to stand up to Ancelotti and say no, and the concern was that we may have gone further down a rabbit hole.

There is a chance of a re-set now, and the positive is it's not a re-set in mid season with us in or around the relegation zone which leads to a short termism. We finished 30 points above 18th (twice as high) last season so to me there is no excuse for a pragmatic choice of coach. I understand the criticism of Brands, but this has to be his moment to stamp his authority on the club as to what we want to do moving forward. Selecting a coach that fits that brief becomes important.

I think overall we are all a bit guilty of a bit of an old fashioned outlook, that getting the biggest name manager is how you turn a club around. What you really need is a good process, a process that makes sense for where you sit and the to be consistent and patient with it.

The alternative was Ancelotti was going to be to gamble again. Gamble on 2 or 3 players who will offer nothing in terms of "sell on" in the hope we could gate crash the top 4.