You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Messi, Ronaldo & La Liga

Salou

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Liverpool fan, I'd stay here for as long as I'm wanted, or as long as it takes to win trophies.

But If you were and Argentine who simply respects Liverpool but isn't a childhood fan you'd leave right. I'd probably leave if I wasn't a childhood fan.

Utterly brilliant. The best team & best player i've probably seen in my lifetime. Only Zidane & our team in 88/89 come remotely close (milan same time might also argue that)

Can i add as much as i hate Ronaldo, i inwardy admit that he is also a phenominal footballer. His arrogance & selfishness imo means he has less fans/admirers than Messi.

Ajax 95 was better

La Liga's getting to be a joke with Real and Barca dominance and it's not going to change any time soon.

The major problem is that the TV rights are sold on an individual basis, rather than the collective agreement we have here. So while Real can get £80-100M per season for TV rights, someone like Hercules will struggle to get much at all.

The gulf is just ridiculous.

Guest PurpleNose

Barcelona and Real Madrid are the two best teams in the world. Which seems to cloud things when comparing leagues.

Do people really think Villarreal, Sevilla, Valencia, Atletico etc are poor teams?

Guest PurpleNose
I'd confidently put a bet on the top 6 Spanish teams beating the top 6 teams in the Premier League. Even the lesser teams like Getafe, Athletic and Esanyol are fairly decent teams.

You look through the squads of the mid table sides in Spain and think, "I'd have him at Liverpool, and him, and him etc". Not sure I could say the same about many mid table Premier League clubs.

I'm aware of the irony of us currently being a midtable club, but I think thats a reflection of our manager rather than our squad.

Five of the last fourteen UEFA Cup finalists have been from Spain. Its not concrete evidence, due to some sides not taking the the competition as seriously as they should, but I think its still a decent reflection of the depth of La Liga.

The gap between 2nd and 3rd is large not because there are 18 shit teams, but because there are two exceptional teams.

You look through the squads of the mid table sides in Spain and think, "I'd have him at Liverpool, and him, and him etc". Not sure I could say the same about many mid table Premier League clubs.

I'm aware of the irony of us currently being a midtable club, but I think thats a reflection of our manager rather than our squad.

Five of the last fourteen UEFA Cup finalists have been from Spain. Its not concrete evidence, due to some sides not taking the the competition as seriously as they should, but I think its still a decent reflection of the depth of La Liga.

The gap between 2nd and 3rd is large not because there are 18 shit teams, but because there are two exceptional teams.

I completely agree with you. Take a team like Villareal, they spend less than say Sunderland, but are a better team.

I suppose getting first team football but i guess with Yaya its the money. He won't be winning many trophies with city though.

question. your a brilliant young left back, & have been Lverpools stand out player this season. Barca approach you in January to become their first choice left back. Would you take it or turn it down continue at Liverpool??

Konchesky would be daft to turn them down

Spot on.

My mate was telling me the other day that it is a 'glorified SPL' which is nonsense.

You look at all the squads and most of the players would walk into teams in England. They are technically gifted which makes it a bonus. Give me Osasuna, Hercules and Sporting de Gijon over Stoke, Blackburn and West Ham any day of the week.

Barcelona are 5-0 up after 36 minutes away to Almeria. Guardiola almost looks embarrassed apparently the opposition manager is a close friend whose job is on the line and will most probably be sacked after the game.

Messi has scored his 100th La Liga goal.

Would people say Pique is the best defender in the world right now?

He'd be the one centre half you'd absolutely love to sign anyway. At that right age, not an cunt etc

I can't see him leaving Barca until his prime is past anyway...

Not sure. It's hard to judge a CB playing for a team that does so little actual defending. Throw him into our team and you'd be looking, obviously, at a much different player.