You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shrek effectively hands in transfer request

TheDrowningMan

Wayne Rooney declares his intention to walk out on Manchester United | Football | The Guardian

Wayne Rooney has thrown Manchester United's season into a state of turmoil after informing the club he has no plans to sign another contract and intends to find new employers. Rooney's decision is based on serious differences with Sir Alex Ferguson, the Guardian understands, and will be a devastating blow to the supporters who have come to regard him as a talismanic figure in this troubled era under Malcolm Glazer's ownership.

United may have no option now but to sell the England striker, possibly in the January transfer window, rather than risk his transfer valuation dramatically lowering now that he is only 20 months away from becoming a free agent.

Rooney has always said he has no desire to play abroad and would like to remain in Manchester for the rest of his career, but his mindset has changed and his availability will inevitably attract interest from major forces such as Real Madrid and Barcelona. Manchester City may feel they have an outside chance of capitalising on what has gone wrong for him at Old Trafford, although their chances are undermined by the fact they already have a huge task ahead of them bringing down their wages to prevent Uefa banning them from European competitions under financial fair-play rules.

The full details are not yet clear but the underlying fact is that Rooney now feels that his working relationship with Ferguson has suffered potentially irreparable damage in the fall-out from tabloid allegations about the striker's private life, coinciding with a dramatic loss of form and a growing sense that the most successful manager in the business has taken a hard-line approach with his player.

I'm not smiling like Roy, but hey...it's been a shit day football-wise so there's a little bit of amusement...

Edited by TheDrowningMan
Addition of text

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help wondering if this friction has been engineered with the express intention of doing a sale to get some money in.

I don't believe Shrek is in on it, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Slur is doing exactly what the Glazers have asked him to do.

troubled era under Malcolm Glazer's ownership

That's delivered thus far:

2005/06 Carling Cup

2006/07 Premier League

2007/08 Premier League, Champions League

2008/09 Premier League, Carling Cup, World Club Cup

2009/10 Carling Cup

and a smattering of Community Shields if you count those.

Not exactly a troubled era that. And I'm NOT condoning the LBO tactics as my recent blog attests.

Shame, he's the most overrated player in the history of the universe.

Aye.

He's a gobshite too he really is, he owes Ferguson IMO because he's shielded him through thick and thin.

Not a single quote. I'd expect more from the Guardian.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ferguson has given the okay to leak the story so he can lay the ground work for getting rid with minimal fan backlash. He did a similar thing with Ronaldo. I remember reading about how he'd acted the dick at a Munich anniversary press conference, even though the story was six months old. The press had sat on the story but then released it when it was 'okay to hate' as Ferguson was looking to ship him out.

Guest TesticleOReilly
Aye.

He's a gobshite too he really is, he owes Ferguson IMO because he's shielded him through thick and thin.

No different to any of their other gobshite players. Ferdinand gets busted for missing a drug test, then holds United to ransom over his next contract after they stand by him for 9 months and paying his salary while they did so.