You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy M

Which option is closest to your thinking on Roy?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. Which option is closest to your thinking on Roy?

• I like Roy and I would like to see him given time to succeed.
    • Not my first choice, but he's here and I'd like to see him given time before I make a judgement.
    • He may/may not have been the right choice, but from what I've seen I've got no faith in him.
    • I don't want him here, and I want him sacked before any more damage is done.

Fuck me! Alarm bells are ringing, indeed, about a fucking mentalist that judges a manager after a few games.

(1) - Hardly his fault.

(2) - Hardly his fault

(3) - I'm sorry... has Skrtel been shit? Is Babel anything OTHER than shit? Is Dani even ready to start in the Prem?

(4) - You mean that guy... who doesn't fit into our system... doesn't like to tackle(or be tackled)... and looks slow in possession? Aquilani is NEVER a second striker. He CAN play in the hole, however...

You need to calm down. Seriously.

How was playing 442 at City not the managers fault? He could've just put Poulsen in for Mascherano. Poulsen was on the bench so the excuse he wasn't fit doesn't really work.

Can't believe that genuine fans of our club have decided that a manager is or isn't good enough after four league games.

FOUR FUCKING LEAGUE GAMES!

Criticism is fine, in fact there are several things to criticise, but anything above that is just embarassing.

Even if you didnt rate him before he came here you still at least have to give him the opportunity to field and play his own team. He lost one of the most important members of the squad and despite his hands being tied financially, managed to improve the squad in some key areas. Konchesky looked decent on Sunday and will hopefully go on to make the LB position his own. Meireles, while only on for 10 minutes, shoed some nice touches and some good awareness.

IMO Roy will look to drop one of Poulsen or Lucas, drop Gerrard back and play with Meireles off Torres. Of course he could also leave in Poulsen and Lucas and play a forward 4 of Cole, Meireles, Gerrard behind Torres. I that siutation I think I could deal with the square balls of L&P.

Anyway, I digress, I think we need to see what Roy's ideas are before we judge him, even if you may have already decided on your answer. He is not going to change his opinions on football over night, but in time he will see and come to terms with the expectations of Liverpool fans. A draw away against Brum, even if it is a hard place to go, is not a good enough result. Furthermore, the performance was even worse and Roy did nothing to change that until it was too late. The next 5 to 6 games shoudld give us a decent impression of they style of football we will play and the players he will use to create that style.

I am new to posting but this thread is a disgrace! I am not happy with how the season has started but we have to give the manager time, it's the way we have always behaved as fans, get behind the manager! The owners are the problem and always have been! Don't start changing what we as Liverpool fans have been renowned for over the years just because you did not rate the manager when he was appointed

It isn't just the four games, though. It's his whole career. He's spent a large amount of it in relative obscurity, and has never won a major trophy.

Showing a lack of faith isn't a sign of pessimism: it's common sense. Are there many top level managers in the modern game who hit their mid-sixties without ever achieving an accolade at the highest level?

To expect him to suddenly switch it up and become a world class manager is, frankly, unfair. If Fulham hadn't had a good UEFA cup run last term he wouldn't have been in the running. That's what it is. He isn't an unproven, up-and-coming young manager with a great record at a lower level; he's been around for years and has never earnt himself a stint at a top club (well, until now).

Some components of management style can be learnt, but it should be obvious to anybody that to be a consistently good manager, particularly at the top level, you need talent. There isn't a great deal on Roy's C.V to suggest he has the acumen to bring success to a club that competes for major honours.

I'm up for giving him a go, but I'm sceptical about his appointment - that is all. That isn't based on any inherent dislike of him or fidelity to his predecessor, it's based on observations of the world's great managers in the modern game. Whether they had what it takes to be a great manager was apparent in almost all cases at a far earlier stage in their careers.

Ok, we're not going to get a 'great' manager in the state we're in - I don't disagree with that. But until we have sorted our club out there is no point in pretending we're going to be in amongst the accolades come the end of the season, or that Hodgson necessarily seems like the right appointment.

• Upvote 1

I've never rated Hodgson, was dead against his appointment. And I hate the shit he's served up so far. But ffs, he's been here 5 minutes, had a difficult set if opening fixtures. give the man some time. If we're still midtable and playing like shit come January, then I might start calling for his head.

I am new to posting but this thread is a disgrace! I am not happy with how the season has started but we have to give the manager time, it's the way we have always behaved as fans, get behind the manager! The owners are the problem and always have been! Don't start changing what we as Liverpool fans have been renowned for over the years just because you did not rate the manager when he was appointed

Spot on.

Can't believe that genuine fans of our club have decided that a manager is or isn't good enough after four league games.

FOUR FUCKING LEAGUE GAMES!

Criticism is fine, in fact there are several things to criticise, but anything above that is just embarassing.

It took me none. I'll echo KE's sentiments, he should never have been appointed.

It took me none. I'll echo KE's sentiments, he should never have been appointed.

I didn't want him to get the job either, but he's got it, and he deserves (just like any manager we'd have appointed) to be given ample time to prove himself. These knee-jerk reactions are the sort of things we'd laugh at small-time clubs for.

I'll judge him at the end of the season.

Fsss, threads like these make me angry. The whole team have spoken out saying they need more time. We're so different from a team like Arsenal or Blackburn that hasn't had huge changes to our squads or half our team in the world cup. And we've got a new manager which will take time for him to know how we line-up best.

We can't start complaining until December, just give them all a break.

It isn't just the four games, though. It's his whole career. He's spent a large amount of it in relative obscurity, and has never won a major trophy.

Showing a lack of faith isn't a sign of pessimism: it's common sense. Are there many top level managers in the modern game who hit their mid-sixties without ever achieving an accolade at the highest level?

To expect him to suddenly switch it up and become a world class manager is, frankly, unfair. If Fulham hadn't had a good UEFA cup run last term he wouldn't have been in the running. That's what it is. He isn't an unproven, up-and-coming young manager with a great record at a lower level; he's been around for years and has never earnt himself a stint at a top club (well, until now).

Some components of management style can be learnt, but it should be obvious to anybody that to be a consistently good manager, particularly at the top level, you need talent. There isn't a great deal on Roy's C.V to suggest he has the acumen to bring success to a club that competes for major honours.

I'm up for giving him a go, but I'm sceptical about his appointment - that is all. That isn't based on any inherent dislike of him or fidelity to his predecessor, it's based on observations of the world's great managers in the modern game. Whether they had what it takes to be a great manager was apparent in almost all cases at a far earlier stage in their careers.

Ok, we're not going to get a 'great' manager in the state we're in - I don't disagree with that. But until we have sorted our club out there is no point in pretending we're going to be in amongst the accolades come the end of the season, or that Hodgson necessarily seems like the right appointment.

A good summation of events in my view.

I don't agree with everything in the OP but there are a fair few issues raised in it which really concern me too.

I didn't agree with his appointment, but his conduct and words in pre season gave me some encouragement to think that maybe he is what we need and will do a good job for us. I can't say that I'm happy at all with the season so far, in fact I'm pretty worried. Th,e doubts which I had originally have resurfaced. The football has been crap, the tactics have been wrong, the team is too defensive without currently having a good enough defense to compensate, and the subs, or lack of, have been concerning.

I do recognise that the circumstances he has been working under have been far from ideal, much like his predecessor. There are a couple of promising players due to come in to contention and that can only be a good thing. There have been a few international breaks, plus the world cup lads delay in returning, so it's fair to say that he hasn't exactly had a shit load of opportunity to work with the full squad. That should come now, and with it hopefully an upturn in results but also quality of football played. There's also the ever growing cancer in the boardroom that has undoubtedly affected the team over the past 2 years. I still have my longterm doubts about his capabilities, but I certainly won't be writing him off yet. The time to judge is in May, not now.