You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

They would NEVER asset strip us...

FrenchEyeGlass

Hell, he didn't even cost the £17m all the papers are quoting...

£5m up front wasn't it?

Don't we still owe Roma some money for him. I'd guess half of the Alonso money went missing. Only way to know is much the deal with Roma was worth. I know if you owe a club money its still money that has to be paid but fact is it hasnt been paid and if its performance related we might not ever have to pay it now since Aquilanis off on loan.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be smarter waiting till Wednesday morning before saying that a player who has forced us to sell him is asset striping. If the money isn't reinvested then you'd have a point.

Oh and the Alonso money did go back in the team. Just cause Aquilani contributed fuck all doesn't mean he cost that.

He didn't cost £30m.

Arbeloa wasn't sold for the £18m that Johnson was bought for either

Have you forgotten all the other players we sold that summer and year preceding it?

We had a negative net spend. Hence, we did not replace Alonso. We paid the Aquilani number in installments - why do you think that is? Because the Alonso money was going to pay off the debts.

Eitherway, I am talking about the here and now - how can you not see that letting go of two of your strongest midfielders for fuck all, and not replacing them (who the fuck are we going to get with 15m, even IF they spend it all) is asset stripping.

None of my examples are daft Simon.

They sold all of those players and haven't replaced them, or replaced them adequately.

Selling them in the first place is not the qualm - non of it has been reinvested, or at least not nearly enough of it.

It has do some research everything except the Alonso deal kind of adds up. It hasnt been invested wisely because of the manager We spent 20 mill on johnson dont forget. Where did that come from? I think its obvious we wont get 100% of fee's. But not many clubs do tbh. I do belive hopw ever that if the loan was called in and they couldnt get another deal sorted every playter would be transfer listed straight away. It would be up to the players to show there true colours and refuse to move.

Sorry, but this is a bit blinkered and in some places contardictory in my view.

Benayoun for 6m was low, but he was a periferal player replaced by Cole on a free who is a certain starter.

Alonso was desperate to get out after falling foul of Benitez who tried but failed to sell him for 15m then managed to get over the odds from Real. Unfortunately we then paid well over the odds for his replacement, Aquilani who, as you say has talent but will never be a regular due to his injury record. At the time he went on loan we had 7 central midfielders which, for a club short of cash doesn't make sense.

Masch wants to go, won't sign another contract so 20m or so is fair enough, especially if a replacement such as Defour or Diarra comes in.

Riera? Not good enough. Keane? wasn't wanted in the first place and again, periferal at best.

As for Agger, Babel and Lucas, then I'm sure Agger is not best pleased at playing out of position so he might decide to look elsewhere, and there'll not be many tears shed on this forum if the latter two are sold off.

We don't have any money and we don't have Champions League, but we still have good players. If Roy can mould the current group of players into a functioning team, which hasn't happened for some while, then we might get somewhere.

It has do some research everything except the Alonso deal kind of adds up. It hasnt been invested wisely because of the manager We spent 20 mill on johnson dont forget. Where did that come from? I think its obvious we wont get 100% of fee's. But not many clubs do tbh. I do belive hopw ever that if the loan was called in and they couldnt get another deal sorted every playter would be transfer listed straight away. It would be up to the players to show there true colours and refuse to move.

I have looked at it. They've basically just sold £45m of our midfield and replaced it with two free signings and £5m Poulsen. We have a £1m Ngog starting our matches.

We bought Glen for a lot less than £20m. Portsmouth owed us £10m from Crouchy. I bet my bottom buck that there was no way in hell we were buying a wingback of his calibre otherwise.

I have looked at it. They've basically just sold £45m of our midfield and replaced it with two free signings and £5m Poulsen. We have a £1m Ngog starting our matches.

We bought Glen for a lot less than £20m. Portsmouth owed us £10m from Crouchy. I bet my bottom buck that there was no way in hell we were buying a wingback of his calibre otherwise.

You see that is just wrong

So, who paid for Crouch? The fairy godmother?

Sorry, but this is a bit blinkered and in some places contardictory in my view.

Benayoun for 6m was low, but he was a periferal player replaced by Cole on a free who is a certain starter.

Alonso was desperate to get out after falling foul of Benitez who tried but failed to sell him for 15m then managed to get over the odds from Real. Unfortunately we then paid well over the odds for his replacement, Aquilani who, as you say has talent but will never be a regular due to his injury record. At the time he went on loan we had 7 central midfielders which, for a club short of cash doesn't make sense.

Masch wants to go, won't sign another contract so 20m or so is fair enough, especially if a replacement such as Defour or Diarra comes in.

Riera? Not good enough. Keane? wasn't wanted in the first place and again, periferal at best.

As for Agger, Babel and Lucas, then I'm sure Agger is not best pleased at playing out of position so he might decide to look elsewhere, and there'll not be many tears shed on this forum if the latter two are sold off.

We don't have any money and we don't have Champions League, but we still have good players. If Roy can mould the current group of players into a functioning team, which hasn't happened for some while, then we might get somewhere.

I think your missing my point. Im not saying said players are/were good enough. Some of them were, some of them were most definately not.

But there hasn't been a genuine emphasis on replacing these players adequately (or, god forbid, improving on them).

If you think we let Yossi go to bring in Joe Cole then your mistaken. I said when we signed him that it would pull the wool over many eyes. Joe is a good player who has been on/off injured for two years. There was no way his wages would have been sanctioned if the yanks didnt know that a) it would get the fans off their back, b) it would make sense commercially as he's a big name and c) it will fool the media into pretending we've made a big signing.

I agree partly i belive the owners would sell anyone if they have to or want to to pay bills exc.

But your examples are all daft.

Benni Told he would never play for lfc again by Rafa. Replaced by J Cole

Masch Was refusing to play Good riddance if you ask me. He will be replaced.

Aquilani weird one but with his injuries exc probs bestgetting rid clearing the wage bill. And if he finds fitness and form im sure we will keep. Loan

Alonso blame Rafa Alonso knew he was going way before anyone else did. I dont know much about this one. This was money we didnt see i belive Aqua was his replacement.

Riera Inconsistant and a bad attitude. Not the end of the window yet.

The treatment of Keane was sick and out of order forced out by Rafa. Dont spurs still owe us for him?

I think there will be 4 more signing and still Insua to go.

Im gonna take a wild guess and say 1, Konchesky 2, Noble 3, Van Wolfswinkel or Crouch 4 Toivenen

Wow this summer really is the 'Biggy' we was promised aye? A lot of people in this thread seem to be making excuses for the fact we've became a selling club over the last few seasons its fucking gobsmacking!

Well considering the signing fee for J cole was near 6 million that Benni replaced and accounted for. Just one example. Yes players without contracts are free in the transfer sense but theres still Signing fees. Didnt Voronin get like 3 mill when he signed?

Also considering Chelsea and others were after Glen we probs gave him a nice signing fee. Jova would of cost a good bit too consider top Italian clubs wanted him. The free transfer market is still a hefty part on finances.

How can it be ASSET STRIPPING if the player WANTS to leave ?

Fucking nonsense.

They are not forcing anybody out of the door, youre right.

But by not reinvesting the money from sales they are effectively asset stripping us.

But youre probably right. The yanks wouldn't fuck us over like that.

Explain to me how Aquilani 18m, Mascherano 20m and Yossi at 6m, with 5m poulsen is wrong?

If the figures i put are wrong, you are being incredibly pedantic. you know my point.

Aquilani is on loan with a view to a £15m transfer. Benayoun & Mascherano have left for around £26m. The transfer window hasn't shut yet. Actually one of those transfers hasn't even passed his medical yet.

You're jumping the gun

Explain to me how Aquilani 18m, Mascherano 20m and Yossi at 6m, with 5m poulsen is wrong?

If the figures i put are wrong, you are being incredibly pedantic. you know my point.

It adds up to £44m.

I don't think they're asset stripping though. Players are being shifted out that won't play for us anymore or are surplus to requirements.

None have been replaced because quite frankly no decent player would want to play for the shower of shit we've become.

The fairy godmother is waiting for the loan to be called in so they can buy it from the bank at cost.

People just seeing what they want to see. Robbie Keane would have surely got a pay rise when he joined us. Say 60k a week at Spurs to 80k here. We sell him in 6 months, he didn't ask to leave so we would have had to cough up some type of payment for that for a start, he wouldn't go back to Spurs on the wages he was on prior to joining us so it wouldn't surprise me if we are still paying a portion of his wages. Degen and Voro ditto. The high turnover of players here over the past few years and when signing on fees are taken into account and wages then do people just expect this money to appear out of thin air? Dossena and Riera were sold at massive losses not long after they joined as well. We have paid probably 15m of the Aquilani money now. Two 20m pound signings in two years and none of them are at the club anymore.

It isn't as though clubs give us the full whack in transfers anyway when they sign one of our players in the same way we don't. If Roy spends the Mascherano money in the next few days or in January then it kind of blows all this ''asset stripping'' out of the water doesn't it?

We have to cut our cloth like any club. Especially after the disgusting season we had last year. I guess Purslow and Broughton are to blame for that as well?

Edited by Juan Galonso

Aquilani is on loan with a view to a £15m transfer. Benayoun & Mascherano have left for around £26m. The transfer window hasn't shut yet. Actually one of those transfers hasn't even passed his medical yet.

You're jumping the gun

I will donate 10£ to HJC if Aquilani is not sold next year.

Your other points are redundant. Masch not passing his medical does not mean we have not agreed to sell him. The transfer window not being shut does not mean that we have actively tried to replace players we have sold thus far, or we are likely to.

If I am jumping the gun, I am happy to wait until the window is shut until I make a judgement. If we buy two players worth 35£, then fair enough. Does that sound realistic?

realistic my ball-sack.

It isn't as though clubs give us the full whack in transfers anyway when they sign one of our players in the same way we don't. If Roy spends the Mascherano money in the next few days or in January then it kind of blows all this ''asset stripping'' out of the water doesn't it?

How the fuck does it? We've agreed to let Aquilani go on loan with an option for them to buy (so we've basically agreed to the sale of Aquilani)

Spending the mascherano money in January (when we may have refinanced and would have recieved a shit load of cash from the TV deals) means fuck all also.

We should be spending £20m+ NET every summer. However, our NET is negative at the moment. and it has been for a very long time.

I agree partly i belive the owners would sell anyone if they have to or want to to pay bills exc.

But your examples are all daft.

Benni Told he would never play for lfc again by Rafa. Replaced by J Cole

Masch Was refusing to play Good riddance if you ask me. He will be replaced.

Aquilani weird one but with his injuries exc probs bestgetting rid clearing the wage bill. And if he finds fitness and form im sure we will keep. Loan

Alonso blame Rafa Alonso knew he was going way before anyone else did. I dont know much about this one. This was money we didnt see i belive Aqua was his replacement.

Riera Inconsistant and a bad attitude. Not the end of the window yet.

The treatment of Keane was sick and out of order forced out by Rafa. Dont spurs still owe us for him?

I think there will be 4 more signing and still Insua to go.

Im gonna take a wild guess and say 1, Konchesky 2, Noble 3, Van Wolfswinkel or Crouch 4 Toivenen

Not having that about Keane........he was his own worst enemy especially after his "who me" antics in the derby.Boyhood team my arse