You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hodgson on Torres

Kopite Pete

I would let Torres and the Mascherano go, pair of them are acting like spoilt brats, Mascherano after his ' i am learning italian ' can do one plucked from west ham reserves has sulked since last year, great ballwinner thats about it couldn't hit a barn door or pick a decent forward pass. See ya gypo. The silence from Torres is deafening, he will decide after his holiday he has 4 years left on his contract, think of the fans who have adored you for the last couple of years and let us know what you are doing. Modern day footballers make me sick the way they treat us .

Rant over

I think you're jumping way too far ahead there, Masch yes, but Torres has maintained his dignity throughout. The silence isn't deafening, not after the scarf picture. He's talking to Roy and Cecil as well, which shows he does genuinely care about the club and where it's going.

Mascherano is the complete opposite.

I agree that Torres should think of the fans, but he has to prioritise himself, after all his career is short, and with his fitness record it's probably going to be shorter. I'm not judging him, just saying the club shouldn't wait around for him. He's not as indispensable to us as many on here think (Not that I'm advocating any sale of Torres)

Guest ShoePiss
Sure, it's still true though? I'm not insulting his ability, but his appearance record in the last 2 years has been around 60%? And his season ended at the beginning of April. When I say appearance around 60%, how many of those have been substitute appearances at the end of games as he returns from injury? How many has he been unfit and trying to regain fitness in? How many games has he started in the last 2 seasons?

When you say doesn't sound like the club is waiting around, well it puts transfer plans in a very difficult situation, because if Roy doesn't know what the player is doing, he doesn't know how much money he'll have, where will we have to sign players.

But if as many suspect, he wants to make the owners sweat, that makes no sense? Tom and George aren't going to instantly open up their pockets just because Torres says so.

I bet he'd not know whether Torres stays or goes!

Yeah I agree he has had a lot of injuries and we really need him to be playing more. My feeling is I'd rather have Torres on the books playing 60% of the games than a 10m replacement (with the rest paying debt) playing 100% of the games.

I think you're jumping way too far ahead there, Masch yes, but Torres has maintained his dignity throughout. The silence isn't deafening, not after the scarf picture. He's talking to Roy and Cecil as well, which shows he does genuinely care about the club and where it's going.

Mascherano is the complete opposite.

I agree that Torres should think of the fans, but he has to prioritise himself, after all his career is short, and with his fitness record it's probably going to be shorter. I'm not judging him, just saying the club shouldn't wait around for him. He's not as indispensable to us as many on here think (Not that I'm advocating any sale of Torres)

i would be gutted if Torres went but he could easily stop all the rumours, here is a player who is still in discussion with purslow. Does he seriously think that we could go out and buy players of the calibre of villa, mata, silva etc. The club is in a mess either stay or go but don't leave the fans in the lurch. I would respect him more if he said he wanted to go, he has had 4 weeks with his spanish mates probably telling him to move but now we have to wait until after his holiday. Keep your bags packed nando thanks for the memories.

It didn't take pepe long long to tell us his feelings after rafa left.

i would be gutted if Torres went but he could easily stop all the rumours, here is a player who is still in discussion with purslow. Does he seriously think that we could go out and buy players of the calibre of villa, mata, silva etc. The club is in a mess either stay or go but don't leave the fans in the lurch. I would respect him more if he said he wanted to go, he has had 4 weeks with his spanish mates probably telling him to move but now we have to wait until after his holiday. Keep your bags packed nando thanks for the memories.

It didn't take pepe long long to tell us his feelings after rafa left.

That's my problem, he knows we can't sign those kinds of players he demanded. So either, he then leaves, or he lowers his ambition, which isn't likely. Which is what gives me an inkling he may be off.

That's my problem, he knows we can't sign those kinds of players he demanded. So either, he then leaves, or he lowers his ambition, which isn't likely. Which is what gives me an inkling he may be off.

I think he could be off as well mate, only thing we have going for us is barca and their financial troubles, chelsea possible lack of interest Would he go to city £200,000+ might make him decide.

I think he could be off as well mate, only thing we have going for us is barca and their financial troubles, chelsea possible lack of interest Would he go to city £200,000+ might make him decide.

Don't believe Chelsea have gone off him, typical transfer tactics. That isn't over yet.

City I'm not so sure about, I mean, they're in a better position than us and can buy all those players he wants. I guess that's a test of Torres' character himself. I don't think it will happen, but wouldn't be shocked if it did.

Unfortunately, until we hear from Roy or Torres himself, it's wait and see. But I'm liking the transfer policy so far of shipping out the deadwood. If that money can be used on players like Banega, Joe Cole and so on.

Pointless article. Purslow talking with Torres, well, I'll be damned, never heard that before...

Exactly.

We know as much/as little as we did a week ago even after this, so how it confirms that Torres is defo off is beyond me.

He (Hodgson) said: “The feedback I’m getting is positive but I can’t put words into other people’s mouths. “Christian is the one who has spoken with Fernando and his agent.

“I do find it slightly amusing that we are talking about the future of player who still has years left on his contract but I understand the situation.

“I have only spoken to him once but I am hoping to end up speaking to him every day on the training pitch. Hopefully he will follow what Steven did and reaffirm his commitment to the club.”

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Kaiserslautern-1-0-Liverpool-Roy-Hodgson-confident-Fernando-Torres-will-stay-and-Milan-Jovanovic-makes-debut-as-Kop-kids-slump-The-Sunday-Mirror-pre-season-match-report-article

Funny how the manager's comment about the 4 year contract didn't seem worth mentioning to the lads at Sky, isn't it?

ROY HODGSON admits he is powerless to keep Fernando Torres at Liverpool.

And the new Anfield manager's shock confession will open the door for Chelsea to launch an official bid for Spain's £60million-rated World Cup winner.

"Unfortunately, I cannot do much more," admitted Hodgson. "His beef is with the club and not me."

The 26-year-old striker believes he has been let down by broken promises regarding investment in new players, a factor that was key in him signing a new deal last year.

Hodgson added: "Fernando's situation has nothing to do with me, he made that perfectly clear over the phone during the World Cup and when I met him face-to-face.

"He knows what I would like to do with the club. He knows how much I value him.

"But his issues are with what has gone on in the past rather than the future. If he has problems with the club for things in the past, it is difficult for me to dismiss that."

Hodgson had been celebrating a double success after signing England star Joe Cole and convincing Kop skipper Steven Gerrard to stay at Anfield.

But his admission after Saturday night's 1-0 friendly defeat against Kaiserslautern in Germany is seen as the biggest indicator yet that Torres is still considering leaving Liverpool.

Anfield managing director Christian Purslow has had several talks with Torres, including a meeting in Majorca last week. Liverpool insist they are close to securing new financial backing.

The club's American co-owner Tom Hicks is understood to have been in London last week for a series of meetings with potential investors.

Torres demanded new signings in March and stressed: "What is important is the club makes a big effort and brings great players that are above the quality of the squad.

"We need four or five of the highest level to compete. Without strengthening, what's the point of fighting again next season just to be in the top four."

To compound Hodgson's problems, 26-year -old Argentinian midfielder Javier Mascherano will return to Liverpool this week and demand a transfer to Inter Milan.

Chelsea are favourites to land Torres, but it will take a bid of around £60m to bring Liverpool to the negotiating table.

"People forget he is a Liverpool player," added Hodgson. "One year ago he signed a four-year contract. I hope he will commit himself by honouring his contract."

ROY HODGSON admits he is powerless to keep Fernando Torres at Liverpool. | News Of The World

Torres will make Purslow pay for his actions. Last year, in order to convince Torres to sign a long-term contract, Purslow assured him that LFC would follow the Man Utd and Arsenal model of sticking through thick and thin with a single manager. He said Rafa was central to LFC's long-term plan. He also said all of this publicly. The first team would be improved by acquisitions of leading players and the Academy would be put under Rafa's control to start producing a long-term supply of graduates a la Barcelona.

This commitment was of the essence when Torres signed his contract. It was a coup for Purslow because he could tell potential investors that he had created stability with the manager and with the biggest "asset" the club had - El Nino.

We all know how cynically he broke his word.

Torres, better than any of us, can now make him pay. He can claim that Purslow has effectively made nonsense of his promises of just a year ago and that he misled him. He can remind him that he came to LFC because Rafa persuaded him and under Rafa he flourished like never before in his career.

If Torres should want to stay for lack of a better offer, he can use the same argument to seek written assurances of the same kind Rafa sought about new players and funds, improve the terms he can exit next year without approval, and increase his salary and image rights.

I hope he screws Purslow into the ground.

Edited by diego

Nando is seeking assurances from Purslow about the hierarchy and finances at the club. You can't blame him for doing that.

I fully expect him to stay for another season. If we have another shite season, he'll be off in the summer.

Maybe, but after two days and still no "I'm staying" so he obviously is still no closer staying.

Sell Torres for 50m plus Mascherano for 15m plus Etoo and buy a Defour or the French kid with the 15m and then you've got 50m for Gillett and HIcks to have a good time with and not too much damage to the team.

If you really think that Inter will offer us Eto'o and £15 for Masch you should grab a brick and repeatedly smash it round your head until you forget everything you know about football.

Can't be arsed reading the entire thread, but if Torres wants to fuck off then so be it. Get as much as possible for him then let him sit on Chelsea's/Man City's/Barcelona's bench for 60% of the season.

If he wants to play for us then come out and say it. I'm sick of shit like this.

He wouldn't sit on any of their benches.