You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

top 5 westerns of all time

chrisbonnie

Fucking westerns. I had to sit through a lecture at uni only on Friday on Westerns. I tend to like them but the daft bint lecturer spent about half an hour trying to convince us that Brokeback Mountain is a fucking western. When the majority of the class disagreed we were told we were discriminating cos its got queers in it.

Once upon a time in the west, truly epic cinematography, THE Western.

Then choose any 4 from the following,

3:10 To Yuma.

Unforgiven.

The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Shane.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly.

The Wild Bunch.

Pale Rider.

High Plains Drifter.

Jeremiah Johnson.

Will doff my cap to jeremiah johnson - a fucking top notch performance from Redford

For some reason I don't like old westerns but I really like new ones.

such as

Tombstone

3:10 to Yuma (remake)

Appaloosa (just saw this the other day and really liked it Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen)

Deadwood (not a movie but still a great piece of western media)

The Quick and the Dead (not the greatest movie but who doesn't love a quick draw tournament)

The Proposition (Australian Western but a great film)

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (slow moving but great)

Just to clarify I don't think these are the top Westerns of all time just some that I have enjoyed.

For some reason I don't like old westerns but I really like new ones.

such as

Tombstone

3:10 to Yuma (remake)

Appaloosa (just saw this the other day and really liked it Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen)

Deadwood (not a movie but still a great piece of western media)

The Quick and the Dead (not the greatest movie but who doesn't love a quick draw tournament)

The Proposition (Australian Western but a great film)

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (slow moving but great)

Just to clarify I don't think these are the top Westerns of all time just some that I have enjoyed.

it was just a little slow moving for my liking, some great scenes though, Appaloosa was pretty good, but again,i think it needed possibly one or two more added extras to be classed as great

deadwood, thatsa good shout, i might rent a series of that, i heard thats brilliant

cheers lads, i think a Clintathon is in order

Many of the obvious favourites are already mentioned, so I'll just throw in a controversial one myself. I really enjoyed Young Guns. The cast was brilliant, Emilio Estevez, Kiefer Sutherland, Charlie Sheen, Lou Diamond Phillips, ++. Highly entertaining movie, action, humour, and dare I say, excellent soundtrack. Not the hard man movie of the legend that is Clint, but still a very good Billie the Kid - movie.

Many of the obvious favourites are already mentioned, so I'll just throw in a controversial one myself. I really enjoyed Young Guns. The cast was brilliant, Emilio Estevez, Kiefer Sutherland, Charlie Sheen, Lou Diamond Phillips, ++. Highly entertaining movie, action, humour, and dare I say, excellent soundtrack. Not the hard man movie of the legend that is Clint, but still a very good Billie the Kid - movie.

I really liked Young Guns but the first and only time I saw it was when I was a kid and sometimes films aren't as good as you remember them so I don;t know how it stands up today.

I really liked Young Guns but the first and only time I saw it was when I was a kid and sometimes films aren't as good as you remember them so I don;t know how it stands up today.

Yeah that's my fear aswell, i haven't watched it in at least 10 years. That goes for most of the candidates mentioned here though so I have to trust my memory.

deadwood, thatsa good shout, i might rent a series of that, i heard thats brilliant

Ive got deadwood season 2 from lovefilm at the moment also...Its good, but youd never watch it again. Its a bit ponderous and is essentially more like reading a novel than watching a tv prog.

Some great ones on here. My dad is a Westerns addict from the Saturday morning matinee days of his TV-less youth and he schooled me in their brilliance from pretty much the word go.

One I haven't seen on this thread is El Dorado. It's basically a remake of Rio Bravo (or vice versa - I forget which) and is fucking great. It would translate brilliantly to a contemporary setting (as would many Westerns, actually - I'd love to see an inner city-set Magnificent Seven).