You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ryan Babel

liverpoolsno9

I'd like to know if Babel's attitude and desire isn't what it should be then why the fuck did we sign him. What are our scouts actually doing? For a £11m outlay i'd leave no stone unturned about the player. Football is not just about ability, moreso its about application.

The scouts have not done great job on attacking players, period. The one great signing we got everybody in the world knew about.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The scouts have not done great job on attacking players, period. The one great signing we got everybody in the world knew about.

To be honest, everyone knew about Torres' talent and his solid mentality but he wasn't producing anything consistantly for Atletico because they expected him to basically run through their opposition and score ala Maradona.

Torres was almost a bit of a joke... However, you were right that everyone saw World class skill in the kid.

He didn't pull it all together until he got here.

If Torres was producing for them, what he is for us... We would have never got him, because Atleti would have been in the CL every year, and had a much better squad.

What he did to Ramos, none of our other "wingers" can do, he also scored the last CL game at the Bridge.... and scored the winner against United. Its not fair to say he is out of his depth at all.

the chelsea away game this season where he came off the bench I thought babel was excellent so babel has shown he can put in performances against good sides.

imho too much is expected from someone who starts very few games, I'm of the opinion its much more difficult to score or assist from the bench than when you start. fairclough is the highest scoring sub in our history with 18 goals, well babel has 10 goals from the bench.

I think the babel ship has sailed but personally I think the comments levelled at him are a tad harsh because you aren't going to improve from the bench and whether babel has deserved starts or not he hasn't been given them. several times this season babel has put in good performances and been rewarded with another spell on the bench in the very next game (for example real madrid). how on this green earth is any young player supposed to build on that? by contrast rieira has put in a string of (at best) average performances but has started more games than not. in regards to babel we are simply reaping what we've sewn.

the chelsea away game this season where he came off the bench I thought babel was excellent so babel has shown he can put in performances against good sides.

imho too much is expected from someone who starts very few games, I'm of the opinion its much more difficult to score or assist from the bench than when you start. fairclough is the highest scoring sub in our history with 18 goals, well babel has 10 goals from the bench.

I think the babel ship has sailed but personally I think the comments levelled at him are a tad harsh because you aren't going to improve from the bench and whether babel has deserved starts or not he hasn't been given them. several times this season babel has put in good performances and been rewarded with another spell on the bench in the very next game (for example real madrid). how on this green earth is any young player supposed to build on that? by contrast rieira has put in a string of (at best) average performances but has started more games than not. in regards to babel we are simply reaping what we've sewn.

I've got to be honest, even when Riera isn't playing well... you can rely on him to do certain things.

You really can't rely on Babel to do... well... anything. You stick Babel's pace on Riera and we've got a £20m player there.

Guest the boy

Babel is absolutely hit and miss, but for a game like Tuesday night's that may be just what you need. You don't know which Ryan Babel you're going to get; the one which revolutionised the Arsenal quarter final last season, which has scored against both United and Chelsea, as well as classy goals in Marseille and against Derby, or a Babel which wonders aimlessly around the pitch running himself into cul de sacs and being mobbed for the ball.

I've been a staunch supporter of Babel throughout his time at the club; besides Gerrard and Torres he's our only player who is capable of a regular magical moment. But he's obviously not cut out for us, though I have no doubt he can perform elsewhere.

I've got to be honest, even when Riera isn't playing well... you can rely on him to do certain things.

You really can't rely on Babel to do... well... anything. You stick Babel's pace on Riera and we've got a £20m player there.

relie on things like what, keeping possession? against manu he was aweful and was giving the ball away for fun. if that's what we're after (keeping possesson with no end product) then we may as well put a defender on the flank.

simple fact is in the league at home teams have escaped with points which may well cost us the league, how many goals or even assists has rieira contributed to our home games this season? you can almost guarantee had babel started the amount of games rieira has he (babel) would have more goals, their goal/assists starts are comparable NOW ffs.

Babel left the stadium about an hour before kick off, he was led by a steward from the tunnel, to the anfield road end, behind the advertising boards and led towards the far corner where the tv box is, he was suited up and had his little man bag over his shoulder. I thought at first he was maybe injured and was going to do some punditry for tv. Didn't look happy or arsed to be fair.

Guest TK-421
He has started 21 games in his 2 year Liverpool career..... your "loads of starts" thing is clearly a wrong assumption.

In all competitions he has started a lot more, 13 in all comps this season plus 23 sub appearances. Last season was 30 appearances overall, I would assume a fair proportion of those were starts because he was a more regular starter last season.

He has had enough playing time to have made more of an impact, the fact that he hasn't is down to him and not Rafa.

There was a game that summed him up for me this season. I think it was the home game agasint Stoke. We were struggling to break them down and everyone was shouting for Babel to get brought on. He was at about the 60-65 mins mark to a big cheer for the fans. He then trotted about for 10 mins getting nowhere near the ball. When he did move into a bit of space and got it played to him he stood on the ball, fell flat on his face and their right ran off on the counter. Everyone was just shaking their heads an d laughing.

He's had plenty of opportunities. It'd be mental to suggest he's done enough to merit regular starts so it's up him to impress when he comes on and he never even looks arsed. He did OK in the 2nd half agasint Real (he was shit in the 1st half) and did brilliantly for the 3rd goal but after that Ramos just sacked off defending and was constantly miles out of position.

He just not that good and even if he was he hasn't got the application to make the most of his talent. We should get rid now.

He's also got a head shaped like a pebble which wouldn't annoy me if he was good but he's not, so it does.

no he hasn't. we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

you can level at him he hasn't tried hard enough or that he comes across as lazy but I'm not having it he has had enough starts because he hasn't.

WHen he first came over he was getting played a lot but he was turd so he was played less. That's how it works at football clubs. He has then been given plenty of opportunites play his way back into the side when he's come off the bench but has hardly ever done anything to warrant a place in the side.

WHen he first came over he was getting played a lot but he was turd so he was played less. That's how it works at football clubs. He has then been given plenty of opportunites play his way back into the side when he's come off the bench but has hardly ever done anything to warrant a place in the side.

babel got into double figures last season so if that's 'turd' then we should get more turd wingers.

babel got into double figures last season so if that's 'turd' then we should get more turd wingers.

He cant control the ball, mis hits the majority of his shots, shits out of any kind of contact and always looks like he's just going through the motions so he can get the game over with. I know this cos i've watched it happen.

With him being young you'd think he may improve on some of these things but he blatently cant be arsed with it all so whay waste our time on him when we can cut our losses and get someone in who wants to be there?

Plus, he suffers from the same problem as Diouf in that he's clearly a tit and so the fans are always gonna be less patient with him.

Arachnid-Neil, you have eight legs, pull the other one. Babel is shite, stop spinning webs, man.

I definately think he will be sold and he has poor season which has followed on the heels of a promising season (rather a 'turd' season as someone earlier suggested) it just saddens me he couldn't build on good performances he has put in this season (manu/OM/RM). he has talent but not the temperment. I'm playing devil's advocate more than anything else I'm more than aware his future almost certainly lies elsewhere.

He cant control the ball, mis hits the majority of his shots, shits out of any kind of contact and always looks like he's just going through the motions so he can get the game over with. I know this cos i've watched it happen.

With him being young you'd think he may improve on some of these things but he blatently cant be arsed with it all so whay waste our time on him when we can cut our losses and get someone in who wants to be there?

Plus, he suffers from the same problem as Diouf in that he's clearly a tit and so the fans are always gonna be less patient with him.

how has he been a tit?