You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bascombe latest effort

PaulMcC

Guest Numero Veinticinco
NN read the bit before and the context it was in. I know you're not stupid (your work in the Moat thread made me piss) but I was referencing something someone else said to me.

Yeah, I know mate. I just selected the specific portion of it that I was referring too.

One way I can see it is that they are both aimed at the same target audience so they would try and beat each others views. I don't know if that is true or not but it would support what was said to me.

They are aimed at exactly the same people. NOTW would now be called the Sunday Sun if the title wasn't already taken by a paper in the North East. They're archived together and in the same place. They cross promote. I can't believe people (not you) fall for this bullshit that they're not the same paper.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Maybe we should all come to a conclusion; they are the same but they rival each other.

How can they rival each other when they're not sold on the same days, mate?

Gets on me nerves on here the blatant support of Bascombe / Purslow, 2 people who couldn't give a shit about Liverpool, what especially does me head in is when the people defending them are from round here, can understand from fucn wirralites etc.

Like I said I don't care about either paper but I thought it was interesting what was said.

Maybe we should all come to a conclusion; they are the same but they rival each other.

No disrespect, but I don't think you've thought this through!

What is YOUR opinion, Lew?

The cynic in me believes that Purslow is putting this out there as the deal to Spurs is already done and is to prove to the fans that we are splashing the cash (wages in this instance). When Cole actually signs for Spurs he will come out and say there was nothing we could do and that as a board they supported the manager.

Good post

No disrespect, but I don't think you've thought this through!

What is YOUR opinion, Lew?

That was sarcastic that bit!

My opinion is that they are two newspapers who pander to an audience less intelligent than average. I despise the way they are run and their moral actions. My opinion on the papers is that they are not the same but I can see why others would see that. In the original post to what caused this debate, I said this was not my view but the view of someone whom I have talked to. I find this Bascombe debate tiresome. I've spoke to the man, he seemed okay. I have no reason to hate him but to those who do, I ask you this question; why, if you hate the man, do you constantly read what he writes?

I know that if I hate someone I would avoid them, so why does this apply in reverse to Chris?

That was sarcastic that bit!

My opinion is that they are two newspapers who pander to an audience less intelligent than average. I despise the way they are run and their moral actions. My opinion on the papers is that they are not the same but I can see why others would see that. In the original post to what caused this debate, I said this was not my view but the view of someone whom I have talked to. I find this Bascombe debate tiresome. I've spoke to the man, he seemed okay. I have no reason to hate him but to those who do, I ask you this question; why, if you hate the man, do you constantly read what he writes?

I know that if I hate someone I would avoid them, so why does this apply in reverse to Chris?

He may be a nice fellow, but that's not what's on trial here.

It's what he does.

People don't avoid it as you say because they read his musings and disagree strongly with him because he's writing about and affecting the club they love.

Other people who know the man (or who have talked to him, as you have) say he's alright, so he can't be acting in a self-serving way (because, I don't know, he talks the talk and buys a round or something).

My view on the man is non-existent because I have never met him. But this is irrelevant in judging his actions as a journalist on which I do have an opinion.

The cynic in me believes that Purslow is putting this out there as the deal to Spurs is already done and is to prove to the fans that we are splashing the cash (wages in this instance). When Cole actually signs for Spurs he will come out and say there was nothing we could do and that as a board they supported the manager.

Also why are Gerrard and Torres being told they need to decide their futures, they decided long ago when they signed lengthy contracts and Hodgson the non-manager has already said Gerrard is not for sale

Sounds to me like the club are either pushing them out and want to negotiate their sale, or Bascombe has nothing else to write this week so comes out with bullshit. take your pick

Well, look, for example, at the John Terry 'affair': one paper signed him up on a very expensive contract when he was England captain, and then, just a week later, the other paper launches its attack on him, leaving the first paper absolutely apoplectic with rage. Editorially they're completely separate, and relations between the two have rarely been as bad as present.

• 2 months later...

While we are offering praise to Broughton, Purslow, Ayre, Spirit of Shankly, Save LFC, Kop Faithful etc, I would like to offer special praise to Chris Bascombe and Dave Maddock for their input. They have been a valuable source of information to Kop Faithful and have helped keep the plight of LFC in the public domain.

While we are offering praise to Broughton, Purslow, Ayre, Spirit of Shankly, Save LFC, Kop Faithful etc, I would like to offer special praise to Chris Bascombe and Dave Maddock for their input. They have been a valuable source of information to Kop Faithful and have helped keep the plight of LFC in the public domain.

Hear hear! It is their job, but if we compare them with the likes of parasitic self-interested journos and website entrepreneurs who just want to milk our problems with made-up stories (e.g. Koptalk), these guys have the rare quality of integrity.

Hear, hear Stevie. These fellas behind the scenes have been worth their weight in gold.

Agree with this, both may not have been everybodys cup of tea and I myself at times in the past haven't agreed with some things they write but both have done more than any other journalist this year and with this campaign,and have helped us at Kop faithful from the begining, and despite all the shit was thrown at them by our own fans they kept up the fight, thanks lads

Paul Merson has been diverted from watching two raindrops trailing down the window, and has put money on this thread turning pear-shaped quicker than the Rafa quote thread will.

Place your bets!

Looks like the thanks SOS thread has beaten them both.