You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

I've never managed to get into Star Trek, i recall getting dragged to the flicks as a small child and having to sit through the first film with the bald woman in it. Think i fell asleep, it was grim. Put me off ever since.   

That's by far the worst film. Get some Wrath of Khan down you. The Next Generation and DS9 from seasons 3 onwards are superb, the other series are all shite. 

• Upvote 1

The original was so bad it is watchable in the same way Cell Block H was in its early days for the same reasons. The films were,again,watchable if there was nothing else on. I think its pinnacle was The Last Generation and after that it was just teenage sci-fi nerd garbage.

One of the many reasons the Next Generation era was better is because it was before the days of CGI, they couldn't afford to film a lot of huge battles so relied on dialogue and good writing.

The best ever episode (the Best of Both Worlds) just uses a look and a shake of the head to give you a sense of forboding for the next scene. (in this scene the image of the two ships attacking the Borg cube has been added later, it wasn't in the original, all the fighting took place off screen)

Compare that with this shite:

• Upvote 1

The original is still the best. The rest appeals only to 14 year old boys and strange men in anoraks who play online games against 14 year old boys.

Its the best because its hilariously funny and very,very dated. The Next Generation was the best all round series though.

I am not a fan of this kind of stuff so I'm just giving an opinion as a bit of a non sci fi watcher.

I'm at work so can't post you tube clips.  There was another brilliant episode where they entered an alternate reality which resulted in Tasha Yar still being alive in this present. 

The episode where Worf kept skipping between realities was also another high point.  Brilliant TV

I'm at work so can't post you tube clips. There was another brilliant episode where they entered an alternate reality which resulted in Tasha Yar still being alive in this present.

The episode where Worf kept skipping between realities was also another high point. Brilliant TV

Yep, Yesterday's Enterprise that first one. It was a tour de force in how to tell a story with subtlety.

For example, if you look on the screen readouts there's​ lots of red graphics, usually it was just oranges and yellows, it was a subtle design touch that tells you subconsciously something is different, dangerous, but without having to shout it.

There's clearly no love between Riker and Picard in that universe either as they raise voices at each other a few times but again, it goes unstated. If it was Voyager he'd have had a big scar down his face and a plasma cannon welded onto his arm.

Yep, Yesterday's Enterprise that first one. It was a tour de force in how to tell a story with subtlety.

For example, if you look on the screen readouts there's​ lots of red graphics, usually it was just oranges and yellows, it was a subtle design touch that tells you subconsciously something is different, dangerous, but without having to shout it.

There's clearly no love between Riker and Picard in that universe either as they raise voices at each other a few times but again, it goes unstated. If it was Voyager he'd have had a big scar down his face and a plasma cannon welded onto his arm.

Yeah excellently put mate. 

I'm at work so can't post you tube clips. There was another brilliant episode where they entered an alternate reality which resulted in Tasha Yar still being alive in this present.

The episode where Worf kept skipping between realities was also another high point. Brilliant TV

The time travel / alternate timeline episodes were always excellent. All Good Things, Future Imperfect, Tapestry and Firstborn are all classics.

Nothing beats City on the Edge of Forever from the original series though.

Incredible acting and writing, coupled with a thought-provoking moral battle. As has been said, it wasn't just sci-fi, it was pure Shakespeare at times.  

That's a superb episode is Chain of Command, the interaction between David Warner (brilliant character actor who has played a human in Star Trek V and Klingon Chancellor Gorkon in The Undiscovered Country) and Stewart is as good as anything you'll see on the big screen

• Upvote 1

That's a superb episode is Chain of Command, the interaction between David Warner (brilliant character actor who has played a human in Star Trek V and Klingon Chancellor Gorkon in The Undiscovered Country) and Stewart is as good as anything you'll see on the big screen

Aye that was a great episode. 

Deffo. Stewart said he was shitting himself a bit working with him as he was one of the big wigs at the RSC when he was coming through. 

One thing I think that comes across is how much all the actors all love each other, they're an unusually strong bunch of friends, some of them live on the same street as each other and have been best men at each other's weddings. Seems to be no egos there at all. 

When he went home after being fucked up by the Borg was a great episode too. 

• Upvote 2

• 9 months later...

Has anyone seen the new Star Trek Discovery on Netflix with Jason Isaacs and that bird from Walking Dead? It's absolutely fucking unreal, and I haven't liked a Trek series or film since DS9 finished in 99. Highly recommended, you don't need to have watched Star Trek before either.

• Upvote 1