You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

War Film Recommendations

Section_31

Not just fighting films but anything connected to WWII.

I've just ordered The Sun (Japanese version of Downfall), Sophie Scholl - the last days, and Max (John Cussack film about a young Hitler and his art teacher)

Anyway, I've seen Private Ryan, Downfall, The Thin Red Line and Enemy At the Gates.

But is there any more I should check out?

Anyone seen that 'flags of our fathers' 'letters from Iwo Jima' box-set? Any good? What about the likes of 'Windtalkers' etc?

I'm thinking releatively modern ones too - John Wayne and all his 'all american hero' bollocks can fuck off.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mean any war films and not just WWII then aces High set in WWI is good, as is The Blue Max, both about pilots. I think Kelly's Heroes is excellent too.

If you like reading books check out Sven Hassels book about a group of German soldiers in WWII, they're gory at times and hilarious at times, brilliant read as well. I read one about a German soldier at the Russian Front, but i can't remember the name of it now, and i also read one about Japanese Kamikaze pilots which was fucking brutal.

If you mean any war films and not just WWII then aces High set in WWI is good, as is The Blue Max, both about pilots. I think Kelly's Heroes is excellent too.

If you like reading books check out Sven Hassels book about a group of German soldiers in WWII, they're gory at times and hilarious at times, brilliant read as well. I read one about a German soldier at the Russian Front, but i can't remember the name of it now, and i also read one about Japanese Kamikaze pilots which was fucking brutal.

Cheers chief, to be honest I'm a WWII nut and looking for anything along those lines that I haven't yet scoped.

Letters from Iwo Jima sounds good as well, not many good Pacific war films around, not modern ones anyway.

"Come and See" by Elem Klimov, the film is set in Soviet Belarus during the Second World War, the story follows a young lad called Florya, a newly enlisted and innocent partisan, as he staggers dazed and petrified through the horror of the struggle. The scene at the end of the film with the SS was one of the most thought provoking things i have seen for ages, i could imagine it being just like that.

Cheers chief, to be honest I'm a WWII nut and looking for anything along those lines that I haven't yet scoped.

Letters from Iwo Jima sounds good as well, not many good Pacific war films around, not modern ones anyway.

Tora, Tora, Tora, is on ITV 4 at the moment, a much better account of the attack on Pearl Harbour than that load of shite From Here To Eternity, or Pearl Harbour the film.

Enemy at the Gates is brilliant too about the fight between two snipers. there are quite a few decent war films about, The Longest Day about the D-Day landings is quite good, and A Bridge Too Far is good, although it's factually incorrect as there were no Yanks involved in Operation Market Garden (the code name for the attack).

"Come and See" by Elem Klimov, the film is set in Soviet Belarus during the Second World War, the story follows a young lad called Florya, a newly enlisted and innocent partisan, as he staggers dazed and petrified through the horror of the struggle. The scene at the end of the film with the SS was one of the most thought provoking things i have seen for ages, i could imagine it being just like that.

That sounds interesting mate, I'll deffo keep my eyes open for that!

Not just fighting films but anything connected to WWII.

I've just ordered The Sun (Japanese version of Downfall), Sophie Scholl - the last days, and Max (John Cussack film about a young Hitler and his art teacher)

Anyway, I've seen Private Ryan, Downfall, The Thin Red Line and Enemy At the Gates.

But is there any more I should check out?

Anyone seen that 'flags of our fathers' 'letters from Iwo Jima' box-set? Any good? What about the likes of 'Windtalkers' etc?

I'm thinking releatively modern ones too - John Wayne and all his 'all american hero' bollocks can fuck off.

Patton

A Bridge Too Far

dambusters

Battle of Britain

Saving Private Ryan

Longest Day

Guns of Naverone

Band of Brothers

Desert Fox

Tobruk

eagles dare

Das Boot

Eagle has landed

Desert Rats

Days Of Glory

French subtited film about the Algerian soldiers who thought in the French army in WW2. They were expected to die for France (The Motherland) yet were treated like shit. They didn't get the same privileges (like food, leave) as the normal French soldiers. It's an excellent film, really moving. would recommend it to anyone.

Stanlingrad. Was watching The Password is Courage the other day, not an action packed film but a lighthearted one about S'arnt Major Charles Coward and his attempts to escape pow camps aswell as humiliate germans at every opertunity.

The Hill is also another good film.