You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

NelCarra

That Vet series with the enormous blonde Viking bird?

Probably not the one you're thinking of, but she was in it. It was an abomination called 'vets to the rescue' which was essentially an antiques roadshow format with (supposedly) ailing pets instead of old tat. I made no secret of how badly I thought it was run when speaking to the luvvies who seemed to populate the organisation at every level.

I wouldn't have described her as enormous; her eyes were quite a long way apart though.

Oh, and not a single hair on it, according to my mate.

My Nan and Grandad were the first English/German couple to get married after WWII.

Me Nan was attacked and spat at on the street for the first few years despite the fact she was an farm-girl living in Austria when the war started and hated the Nazi's,

My Grandad was on the frontline and claims he killed hundreds of German's, said he had to do alot of fighting for my nan when he got back.

My Nan and Grandad were the first English/German couple to get married after WWII.

Me Nan was attacked and spat at on the street for the first few years despite the fact she was an farm-girl living in Austria when the war started and hated the Nazi's,

My Grandad was on the frontline and claims he killed hundreds of German's, said he had to do alot of fighting for my nan when he got back.

wow - that is a claim to fame. He must've fancied the pants off her to put himself and her through that. Good on them.

This was one of the less reported yet still sad aspects of the 2 world wars. Life must have been hell for anyone with a remotely Teutonic sounding name. They, their families, their homes and businesses were all regarded as fair game by the mob.

Probably not the one you're thinking of, but she was in it. It was an abomination called 'vets to the rescue' which was essentially an antiques roadshow format with (supposedly) ailing pets instead of old tat. I made no secret of how badly I thought it was run when speaking to the luvvies who seemed to populate the organisation at every level.

I wouldn't have described her as enormous; her eyes were quite a long way apart though.

Oh, and not a single hair on it, according to my mate.

I was thinking of the series where they were training to be vets but I do know the one you were on about.

When I said enormous mate I didn't mean fat, she's very tall and just big.

Trude opened 'Viking Vets' in Bristol when she qualified.

My brother reckons he's been there and said the same thing, wasn't sure if I believed him, maybe he did...

• 2 weeks later...
5000M he's doing, 12 laps apparently, avoiding Mo Farrah more like. 2 weeks running in Birmingham to qualify for the Olympics.

Just hearing that he has qualified for the Olympics, highlights on BBC2 at 5.

Reflected glory this one but my dad was caned at Quarry Bank school in the 50's for punching John Lennon who had booted their ball over a wall during a playtime game of footie. Lennon scorned anyone who played sport and he reported my dad to the headmaster, but still got caned himself.

Reflected glory this one but my dad was caned at Quarry Bank school in the 50's for punching John Lennon who had booted their ball over a wall during a playtime game of footie. Lennon scorned anyone who played sport and he reported my dad to the headmaster, but still got caned himself.

Suberb. Someone please rep.

My old man has punched Keith Chegwin.

I also witnessed him punching Mark Bright in a Saturday league match in Stoke (they used to play in the same semi-pro division), Bright had fouled him and wrecked the old man's knee ligaments in the process, my old man got up, sparked him out, then had to be stretchered off whilst the ref was sending him off.

It became apparent that there was a scout watching my Dad from Crewe, who surprisingly lost interest shortly after.