You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Minor achievements you're proud of?

Section_31

• 8 years later...

I think this kind of lateral thinking is a dying art among blokes today, what with more disposable income and a more 'sod it, ill buy a new one' mentality.

My grandparents house was like a temple to DIY and crafty shit when i was a kid.

I'd walk in and my uncle would be working a scam with saveaway bus passes, this involved a stanley knife, super glue, and a very steady hand, And my Grandad would be pottering around building his own torch or something out of a car battery and an old railway lamp, he could fix just about anything with a glue gun and a soldering iron.

Put it this way, if i was ever shipwrecked, i'd be well and trully fu*cked.

So would your uncle unless the island had a bus route, though.

Sparking a guy much bigger than me out cold who'd bullied me from the age of 7 when I was 14 one day at school in the classroom before class. The fucker caught me in the nuts and I snapped and chinned him and down he went. The other lads had to carry him to his desk and prop him up during class so the teacher wouldn't notice. Real George McFly moment. He never went near me again after that.

• Upvote 2

Getting an A in Latin GCSE. It was the only subject I struggled with. However it turns out that if you actually revise for exams, you can do a lot better than you thought.

Rep for that, I binned it in the third year.  Saw the writing on the wall and it wasn't in Latin.

One of my English A Level teachers was a complete twat and also a piss-poor teacher.  He spent the entire last year of the 6th form telling me I was going to fail and not in the way a teacher will sometimes do in a misguided attempt to motivate a pupil into thinking 'I'll show him', he genuinely meant it.

Anyway, we didn't study the full selection of set books and plays that year, instead cuntface made his choice and only focused on that with the intention that we would pick the question on that in the exam - I can't even remember what the play was to be honest but it was abject shite.  Unbeknown to him, I'd just fucked it off completely and read Waiting for Godot instead which was also in the selection. Got it imediately, it's still probably my favourite play; anyway long story short I got a B.

Smugfaced cunt tried to play the 'oh I see I motivated you then' card when I picked up my results, around his quite obvious astonishment. The look on his face when I toold him part of the reason for it was that I'd completely ignored him for a year and studied something myself is one of the warmest memories of my schooldays.

So if you're reading this Mr Rigby, suck my fucking dick.

• Upvote 3

Getting my water safety proficiency badge when I was about 11 was a proud day.

Realising gradually over the years that the tutor only said it didn't matter that I couldn't get the rubber brick off the bottom of the 6 foot end in my pyjamas as he wanted the £3 for the patch hasn't tainted the achievement in the slightest in my eyes.

• Upvote 1

Last year I was driving fast down Aigburth Road at about midnight and a copper was on the other side of the barrier. He lit his lights up and sped up to do a u turn and come after me, no doubt sensing a golden opportunity to give me some yuletide breathalysing action, so I slipped down a side street and turned my engine and lights off. Erik Estrada sped past me none the wiser and I turned my lights on and went on my merry way. I owed it all to the film 'Drive'.

* fist pumps

• Upvote 5

Last year I was driving fast down Aigburth Road at about midnight and a copper was on the other side of the barrier. He lit his lights up and sped up to do a u turn and come after me, no doubt sensing a golden opportunity to give me some yuletide breathalysing action, so I slipped down a side street and turned my engine and lights off. Erik Estrada sped past me none the wiser and I turned my lights on and went on my merry way. I owed it all to the film 'Drive'.

* fist pumps

On a similar vein.

I was driving down the Exe valley road between Tiverton and Exeter.

I got stuck behind a tractor and a few cars coming out of Tiverton. It was holding my weekend up as it was Friday and I had much drinking and slagging around to do.

Approaching Bickleigh Mill (3 to 4 miles behind the tractor at this point) on the south side of the bridge there is a slip road leading to the village and a slip road back to the main road.

Quick as a flash, I turned off, sped up, give the old Peugeot 405 the biftas and accelerated like mental. Flew across a load speed bumps, looked right could see I was making good ground, swerved back into the main road ahead of all the cars and in front of the tractor!

My passenger, Rich had to bow down to the proficiency of the driving but also the unnecessary danger I had subjected us to all for an earlier 5 minute pub visitation.

I should imagine Pidge knows this little cut through, but this was 2003 when the speed humps had significantly increased the danger of years gone by.

Also have gone the turning the lights off through country crossroads, especially outside of Silverton. Wallop, no slowing down, unless you're unlucky some other cunt has done the same.

Last year I was driving fast down Aigburth Road at about midnight and a copper was on the other side of the barrier. He lit his lights up and sped up to do a u turn and come after me, no doubt sensing a golden opportunity to give me some yuletide breathalysing action, so I slipped down a side street and turned my engine and lights off. Erik Estrada sped past me none the wiser and I turned my lights on and went on my merry way. I owed it all to the film 'Drive'.

* fist pumps

I did that after a road rage incident. Me and my mate were on the way back to mine in separate cars, he was ahead of me and I pulled out at a junction and a bloke who I pulled out on (it wasn't dangerous but nor was it the smartest thing either) took exception. He tailgated me right to my house so I carried on, not wanting him know where I lived, and he followed me for three miles, I took all sorts of different side streets, went as fast as was possible in urban areas and he tailgated me all the way. I finally got rid of him after an anticipation manoeuvre at a roundabout where I could see an oncoming car on the opposite side, slowed down so that I would get through but he would have to stop or crash. I then sped up off a hill, round a corner, pulled into an empty car park next to a mechanics, engine off, lights off, ducked down and watched him speed past. Straight away I was whipping back down the street in the opposite direction, away from danger. Felt like Nic Cage in Gone in 60 Seconds.

Got in to mine and my mate was totally bemused and amused that I'd taken 20 minutes to go half a mile at 11pm because I'd been chased by an angry driver. This must have been well over 13 years ago.

I did that after a road rage incident. Me and my mate were on the way back to mine in separate cars, he was ahead of me and I pulled out at a junction and a bloke who I pulled out on (it wasn't dangerous but nor was it the smartest thing either) took exception. He tailgated me right to my house so I carried on, not wanting him know where I lived, and he followed me for three miles, I took all sorts of different side streets, went as fast as was possible in urban areas and he tailgated me all the way. I finally got rid of him after an anticipation manoeuvre at a roundabout where I could see an oncoming car on the opposite side, slowed down so that I would get through but he would have to stop or crash. I then sped up off a hill, round a corner, pulled into an empty car park next to a mechanics, engine off, lights off, ducked down and watched him speed past. Straight away I was whipping back down the street in the opposite direction, away from danger. Felt like Nic Cage in Gone in 60 Seconds.

Got in to mine and my mate was totally bemused and amused that I'd taken 20 minutes to go half a mile at 11pm because I'd been chased by an angry driver. This must have been well over 13 years ago.

I was really hoping this one was going to end with 'when he came round the corner I jumped out and twatted him with the jack'.

Bloody hell, that would have freaked the life out of me.

I have often had the sensation of being followed on my way back home after a late shift. I have to turn off a main road to get to our street and have often thought about what I would do if the driver behind followed me off the main road. Fortunately it has never happened. I've clearly watched far too much nonsense