You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Minor achievements you're proud of?

Section_31

I dropped the remote control in a ministrone cuppa-soup last night, the family feared it was beyond repair.

However, i deployed the hair dryer and cunningly blew hot air in between the buttons.

Brown liquid began to literally 'bleed' from the holes, there was shit loads in there, and i had to keep up the pressure even though i was burning my fingers, felt like Tom Cruise in top gun, pulling 5 g's and close to passing out with the pressure, but i got there, the soup was driven from the remote and it works like brand new.

Out of the box thinking at its very best..

Anyone achieved anything of this magnitude lately? Perhaps a small feat of DIY when your not that way inclined?

• Upvote 1

I have turned off the hot water tap in the bathroom as it constantly leaks. If you follow the tap you'll find a little screw that you turn.

I have told this to my flatmate on numerous occassions and even left a little screw driver by the side so you can turn it back on. (the fixing job is in the pipeline) YET STILL HE GETS UP IN THE MORNING WALKS INTO THE BATHROOM, TURNS THE TAP ON TO NO AVAIL, WALKS OUT, DOWNSTAIRS, BOILS THE KETTLE AND BRINGS IT UPSTAIRS.

The mind boggles.

Guest TK-421

I replaced a fuse trip-wire when the lights went out in my flat not long ago. I located it and changed it all by myself. I felt like a real man.

I dropped the remote control in a ministrone cuppa-soup last night, the family feared it was beyond repair.

However, i deployed the hair dryer and cunningly blew hot air in between the buttons.

Brown liquid began to literally 'bleed' from the holes, there was shit loads in there, and i had to keep up the pressure even though i was burning my fingers, felt like Tom Cruise in top gun, pulling 5 g's and close to passing out with the pressure, but i got there, the soup was driven from the remote and it works like brand new.

Out of the box thinking at its very best..

Anyone achieved anything of this magnitude lately? Perhaps a small feat of DIY when your not that way inclined?

That made me laugh WAY more than it should have.

I have had several heroic efforts worthy of note recently.

I have set my new BT Fusion thing up all on my own, even though it involved something called "installation" and more than three wires. To do this I even took the risk of fucking it up and not being able to get online at all. I was successful although as a man I am ashamed to admit that I read the instructions.

I sold my car without just giving it to a bloke I know and going "Give me 80% of what you get". I'm normally not forthcoming at tasks involving effort and inconvenience but this passed off without hardly the merest hitch*

*I did have a panic attack on the morning of the sale when I could find my log book nowhere. I searched high, I searched low then found it in the draw. What the fuck it was doing in there I'll never know.

I made my bed yesterday and never fell off it once during the process.

I think this kind of lateral thinking is a dying art among blokes today, what with more disposable income and a more 'sod it, ill buy a new one' mentality.

My grandparents house was like a temple to DIY and crafty shit when i was a kid.

I'd walk in and my uncle would be working a scam with saveaway bus passes, this involved a stanley knife, super glue, and a very steady hand, And my Grandad would be pottering around building his own torch or something out of a car battery and an old railway lamp, he could fix just about anything with a glue gun and a soldering iron.

Put it this way, if i was ever shipwrecked, i'd be well and trully fu*cked.

Guest TK-421
When my brother broke his arm he taught himself to wank left handed, he never shuts up about it now.

That's standard practice for me. The right hand is busy on the old mouse pointing and clicking.

During the construction of our new kitchen it was discovered that we needed a new double socket imbedded into the wall behind the dishwasher by the next day.

I had to turn off the power and put it in and plaster around it... by candlelight!

ace.

Mate thats an OUTSTANDING achievement! Hats off!

The cheapskate builder that built our house put single sockets in just about everywhere in the house. How much bloody use is that. I changed loads of them to double sockets (in daylight) and most of them work. I also changed the lightswitches to dimmer switches in two rooms, and if you turn the telly up loud enough you can barely hear the buzzing noise. I've swapped numerous light fittings over all round the house from the ceiling rose to some shite she made us buy, and then later on back to ceiling roses again when the mind was changed.

Cooked a Sunday joint once. All by myself.

The candle-lit antics of Arkenterprise just edge you out there as far as the electrics are concerned mate - but cooking the Sunday joint was a pretty bold move, where the guts of all concerned left intact afterwards?

IMO, if a woman wants to lose weight she should forget Atkins, Weight Watchers, Richard Symmons - and instead have a chicken dinner cooked by me, all nice and pink. She'd shit that weight off in a day and no mistake, in fact i sense a business opportunity there, celebrity shit club.

I need a hero amongst you kids - how do you change a light fitting that doesn't appear t have an earth wire in a safe manner and so it stays safe? Is there an attachment I can buy?

Oh and I wank southpaw despite being an orthodox in most other areas, however i can be classed as spambidextrous

I need a hero amongst you kids - how do you change a light fitting that doesn't appear t have an earth wire in a safe manner and so it stays safe?
Do you have/need an earth wire in a light fitting? I've just took my bathroom one apart and there wasn't one in there... should this worry me? I was just gonna fit the new fitting without

Do you have/need an earth wire in a light fitting? I've just took my bathroom one apart and there wasn't one in there... should this worry me? I was just gonna fit the new fitting without

Probably not too dangerous, just for the fitting we bought is metal and has adjustable metal bulb sockets so you can move where the light is pointing. Touching that without an earth wire could be bad

I go out on weekends and using laser equipment, bulldozers, JCBs and loads of hammers and stuff I rip out kilometres of railway infrastructure and replace it with brand spanking new stuff.

I still haven't rigged up online gaming upstairs with my PS2 as the whole idea scares me.

As annoying US tards say: Go figure?