You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

School reunions - are they a good idea ?

I went to one a few years back, organised on FB.

Only way I could bring myself to attend was by getting wasted on drink and drugs beforehand. 

I may have had a good time, it might have been dreadful. 

No good can come of them. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Within seconds of me joining, actual seconds, the last person I had a proper fight with messaged me 40 years later to say no hard feelings so that was a result of sorts.

Don’t be fooled. He’s going to fuck you up. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

I think it depends on whether or not you enjoyed school and made some good mates.

I never went to my 20 or 25 year one. I knew a few great people, I had 2 cousins in my year which was helpful.

However I despised secondary school, 5 years of abject fucking misery mostly being mentally bullied by some absolute goobers, some of whom I know for a fact have done time.

So for me, fuck that for a game of soldiers.

However, if you enjoyed school in any way shape or form, go for it.

• Upvote 1

I got invited to one a while back but swerved it.

Three of my best mates are mates I’ve had since senior school.  The reunion was a junior school one. I had a look at the people going and I decided that there was a reason why I hadn’t stayed friends with the vast majority of these people. Pot-heads, one girl had done time for GBH for stabbing someone, a girl who was rumoured to be a local prossie and people who I’d deleted from social media for being bad racists. 

I’m going to lurk on the WhatsApp group for a while before committing to anything. My experience of groups of middle aged blokes getting together is that there is going to be a lot of conversations about houses prices, cars, power tools and routes to the venue. Not much fun. 

I went to one about 8 years ago,  there’s talk of a 30 year party this year.

I didn’t really enjoy it,

A shame really as about half my year used to meet up on Christmas Eve in a local boozer till we were about 23/24 and then it drifted. Those that did go to the Xmas Eve meet up were pretty sound, and the non dickheads. They all seemed to have dropped off the radar pretty much, assuming due to families, careers or living far away.

Half the people that did attend the reunion I went to I didn’t want to see or I didn’t or barely remembered. 

I’d go again if I got the sense that the right people are going, but seems very unlikely, as they’re not on social media or live as far away as me. So it will be the ones who never moved away or moved on to other more interesting things.

30 years though. Glory Days, yeah they’ll pass you by glory days… 

The older i get the more dreadful they sound. I loved school and would have loved to meet everyone again 5/10 years after leaving.

Now though, the thought if it depresses me. I dont want my march to old age laid out in front of me, seeing the once fresh faced 5th year who got bullied for looking 12, now some grizzled forty something. I also dont want to see any teenage sweethearts, now squeezing into clothes they bought when they were 10 years younger, with heavy bags under there eyes from the 3 kids that keep them up all night.

School years were full of promise. I dont want to reunite to find out we all just became our parents and none of us became the successes we thought we were destined to be. Life is grim enough.

• Upvote 2

I didn't keep in touch with any of my schoolmates when I left bar one who I saw very occasionally after we left.

I last saw him about 15 years ago when I bumped into him but I found out he'd died of cancer during the lockdown only recently.

A good lad Denis was, RIP mate.

I remember notices in newsagents windows, doctors surgeries and the local free paper about 25 - 30 years ago advertising a class of 79 reunion, but school was a bad experience for me from the age of 7 right up to when I left and I had no intention of revisiting a place I fucking loathed.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Hello

I’ve joined a school reunion WhatsApp group after 40 years. Should be interesting - one of my class mates went to prison for murder in his teens whilst another is now the chairman of a premier league football club. 

Definitely go.

Show us the pics afterwards where you are hog-tied with an apple stuffed in yer mouth and your old eton chums sticking varius implements up yer balloon knot.

Then go for a nice meal after.

4 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

I think it depends on whether or not you enjoyed school and made some good mates.

I never went to my 20 or 25 year one. I knew a few great people, I had 2 cousins in my year which was helpful.

However I despised secondary school, 5 years of abject fucking misery mostly being mentally bullied by some absolute goobers, some of whom I know for a fact have done time.

So for me, fuck that for a game of soldiers.

However, if you enjoyed school in any way shape or form, go for it.

Yep. My Mrs liked school so has always fancied a reunion, I never did so have never wanted to. 

I went to a Christian school and they all fucking married each other and their kids go to the same school. Fucked up.

26 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yep. My Mrs liked school so has always fancied a reunion, I never did so have never wanted to. 

I went to a Christian school and they all fucking married each other and their kids go to the same school. Fucked up.

Sad thing is, if it was just people who were genuinely sound back then I'd consider it, but the sound people by and large won't be there.

My Dad (and another classmate) put their reunions together twice a year,the next one is in a couple of weeks. These of course are now 80+ years of age so the numbers vary, but about 12 to 18 turn up each time.There will be one less this time as Jarvis Cocker's mum was one of the regular attendees,but she sadly passed away earlier this year.(Dad and few others attended her funeral)

I wouldn't go to one personally. I've had no desire to meet any of my school friends,it was what it was back in the 80's and can stay that way.

I went to one organised for my old secondary school 8 years ago and it was shit. Was good to see half a dozen or so people I'd not seen in years, but mainly chatted to people I still kept more touch with until the point where the music became unbearably shit and loud at which point it was better to hang around outside. 

Listened to a few lads talk about getting bullied while some of the lads that bullied them insisted they didn't, then I drunkenly snogged a bird I vaguely remember but hadn't remembered the reputation of and sulked off back to hers round the corner at the night drifted to a close before having to do a walk of shame back to my parents house early next morning and take my daughter to a friends daughters 3rd  birthday party.

Three of the girls ended up in a&e, can't remember why but one was definitely a bad drunken fall.

• Upvote 1

I went to one when I was 39 years old having left school at 18. Got quite a boost as a few lads came up to me and knew my name. I was scratching my head thing who the fuck are you but then they did introduce themselves and I remembered their names. They had

lost their hair, I hadn't. Still had my boyish good looks. (still have before anyone takes the piss)

Met a couple of the girls who I once had the hots for and any adolescent fantasies where well shattered there.

8 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Within seconds of me joining, actual seconds, the last person I had a proper fight with messaged me 40 years later to say no hard feelings so that was a result of sorts.

Fucking hell. He’s still telling that story at 3am with a bluey hanging out of his nose isn’t he?

43 minutes ago, Bob said:

Three of the girls ended up in a&e, can't remember why but one was definitely a bad drunken fall.

Sounds like an attempt at an alibi this.

”The defence draws attention to article 3.4 - a post made by the defendant on a f*o?b&ll forum”

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

I went to one when I was 39 years old having left school at 18. Got quite a boost as a few lads came up to me and knew my name. I was scratching my head thing who the fuck are you but then they did introduce themselves and I remembered their names. They had

lost their hair, I hadn't. Still had my boyish good looks. (still have before anyone takes the piss)

Met a couple of the girls who I once had the hots for and any adolescent fantasies where well shattered there.

Hard to fancy a bird whose been mummified mate 

15 minutes ago, Curly said:

Sounds like an attempt at an alibi this.

”The defence draws attention to article 3.4 - a post made by the defendant on a f*o?b&ll forum”

My actual alibi was harder to live down than that would've been.

• Upvote 1