You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle (H) - Mon 1st Jan 2024 (8:00pm)

Trumo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

This is the problem with slo-mo replays. People project whole chunks of thought and motive into them. They run through a range of options, imagine different decisions, then make a conclusion, entirely divorced from how things work in real time and real life. In real time he moved past the keeper and had the chance to score, and the only instinctive thing to do in that nano second was hit the ball. I don't care how 'slight' the touch seems when frozen in a replay. 

I think he'd overran it and due to the pitch conditions didnt fancy his chances of scoring. I'm surprised we got it.

Just to go back to the GK, I really would love to have seen the outrage when Ivan Katalinic had a blinder for Southampton in the early 80s when stopping Souness,Dalglish et al and Steve Moran nicked a late winner at Anfield. The thread would reach triple figures talking abouy how Dalglish was 'not a natural finisher' or Rush 'will never make it' or Souness is 'a big time Charlie.' 

22 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think he'd overran it and due to the pitch conditions didnt fancy his chances of scoring. I'm surprised we got it.

Just to go back to the GK, I really would love to have seen the outrage when Ivan Katalinic had a blinder for Southampton in the early 80s when stopping Souness,Dalglish et al and Steve Moran nicked a late winner at Anfield. The thread would reach triple figures talking abouy how Dalglish was 'not a natural finisher' or Rush 'will never make it' or Souness is 'a big time Charlie.' 

Again, I doubt he 'thought' much at all in that moment. And even if we can stop time and ponder the move, as TV likes to suggest we can, I rather doubt he would have thought, 'Even though I'm past the keeper and can slot the ball in as I've done many times before, the better bet will be to fall down, risk a booking and leave it to the player who missed his last penalty'.

1 minute ago, gkmacca said:

Again, I doubt he 'thought' much at all in that moment. And even if we can stop time and ponder the move, as TV likes to suggest he can, I rather doubt he would have thought, 'Even though I'm past the keeper and can slot the ball in as I've done many times before, the better bet will be to fall down, risk a booking and leave it to the player who missed his last penalty'.

Ok 'instinct' over then?

Liverpool (and, presumably, other Premier League teams) have teams of statisticians to analyse performances.  Just like Full Kit Wankers fantasise about being players, people who get a hard-on for shit like xG fantasise about being football statisticians.

It's truly tragic.

Punditry used to be Alan Hansen telling you how the winger beat the fullback, now it's Gary Neville in earmuffs in 12 degree weather talking about "XG" while Carragher wrestles you to the floor and spits on your forehead.

• Upvote 1

Surprised so many on here don't think the 2nd one was a penalty or even that it was soft. It's a slight touch by the keeper but it definitely knocks Jota off balance. He tries to stay on his feet so that's why there's a delayed reaction. If the keeper doesn't touch him then he doesn't lose his balance and has the easiest of tap ins. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

From the BBC Live feed today.....

As usual with this stuff, I'm all for the media doing this kind of thing, avoiding the usual flavour of the day Arsenal/Villa/Spurs/City etc. wankathon articles leaves us to quietly continue pushing on without the pressure that comes with those articles being written.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

"XG"

What fresh hell is this? 

Trent's shot from a tight angle was really difficult, not surprised he didn't score that, Nunez shot straight at the keeper was much easier not surprised he didn't score that.

XG summed up, you're welcome.

29 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Punditry used to be Alan Hansen telling you how the winger beat the fullback, now it's Gary Neville in earmuffs in 12 degree weather talking about "XG" while Carragher wrestles you to the floor and spits on your forehead.

It's just putting a value to a statement, it's fine, it won't hurt you.

It's funny watching the 'old school' football types like Alan Brazil and Jeff Stelling rail against things like XG but then say 'he should have scored that' when someone misses a chance they deem scoreable because it's exactly the same thing.

10 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It's just putting a value to a statement, it's fine, it won't hurt you.

It's funny watching the 'old school' football types like Alan Brazil and Jeff Stelling rail against things like XG but then say 'he should have scored that' when someone misses a chance they deem scoreable because it's exactly the same thing.

Football is an art, not a science - otherwise moneyball would actually work. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Football is an art, not a science - otherwise moneyball would actually work. 

Take it up with the clubs who heavily lean towards the science, to put the 'art' in the best position to succeed.

XG is a flawed indicator of how a game should have gone, which is how it's often used, and is just an indicator on the quality of a chance based on probability (which in itself has issues and should be refined).

Nobody should invest too heavily in it but like lots of things more information is frowned upon and people prefer broad soundbites that say the same thing with less actual information behind them.

People will happily say 'that defender had that striker in his back pocket' or have Alan Hansen telling you how the winger beat the fullback, but putting a number to that statement is witchcraft.