You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Windows 11- Cunt of an OS

Mudface

No, I don't want to sign in with a fucking Microsoft account. I want a local, offline sign in to my own fucking PC, not some stupid PIN. No, my recovery email address is not my son's fucking XBox Live account email, why the fuck are you mixing the two up? Why would I want a code sent to his address to allow me to access Gamepass? And why when I try and change my profile is it going to take a whole fucking month to sort out my details. Absolute cunt of a process- this is my PC, I'm licensing your dogshit software, I'm paying for XBox Ultimate, stop frigging me around.

I knew when they made Windows 10 free it was too good to be true.

I mean, I hate to say I told you so… so I won’t, I’ll let it fester. 

I’m not sure about since this latest update, but you used to be able to get around the signing-in thing it was just hidden and annoying. It’s pretty shit. Windows is so stuck in the past. It has put lipstick on a pig for so long that there’s more lipstick than pig and the pig wasn’t very good to begin with. Then to double down with the ‘would you like to share all of your data or just some of it’ bullshit, well, they can get fucked. But the thing that really gets me, like really, really gets me is that that don’t allow you to uninstall certain things. Important cornerstones of the operating system, like gamebar and Microsoft fucking edge. Good one. Oh, and not allowing me to delete things or stop running processes. It’s gone too far! Oh, and fuck the registry. Fuck the entire fucking registry with a rake.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Oh, and the hidden contextual menu. Gooood job. 

The first time I right-clicked on a file to copy it elsewhere I thought I didn't have permission to do so as I couldn't see the Copy command in the pop-up menu. Took a wee while to realise it's now at the top disguised behind an utterly meaningless icon, along with some other commands. Why, Christ knows, you'd think they'd put the less commonly used commands up there instead.

4 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I mean, I hate to say I told you so… so I won’t, I’ll let it fester. 

I’m not sure about since this latest update, but you used to be able to get around the signing-in thing it was just hidden and annoying. It’s pretty shit.

I think it's been removed, I had a look around and the options in that Godawful Settings bit were different to what was referenced online. I don't mind having a Microsoft account to sign in to Gamepass or One Drive, but there's some fuckery going on as it seems to associate my gmail account with my son's gmail account he uses for his XBox. Having to wait a fucking month for a simple security change to the account profile is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Mudface said:

And fuck the taskbar too. Where's the context menu that allowed me to show the desktop or open Task Manager?

Oh, yeah that’s just stupid. It’s talking away something… for what benefit? Apparently they’ve given users a shift+click for full contextual menu. Because I use a fair amount of Linux and *nix-like OSes I already use key shortcuts or scripts for certain tasks as a general way of using a PC so the contextual menu stuff didn’t annoy me too much. The privacy stuff, the accounts, the lack of control and customisation - something that Windows users would rightly point to as benefits of Windows are being locked down. I don’t know why they’re trying to turn their main PC OS into something a bit more like a mobile OS or tablet OS. 

As a user, I want an OS to be as simple and easy to use for daily stuff but as powerful and open as possible when I want to do something else. That’s really it. No need for the rest of the bullshit. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Oh, yeah that’s just stupid. It’s talking away something… for what benefit? Apparently they’ve given users a shift+click for full contextual menu. Because I use a fair amount of Linux and *nix-like OSes I already use key shortcuts or scripts for certain tasks as a general way of using a PC so the contextual menu stuff didn’t annoy me too much. The privacy stuff, the accounts, the lack of control and customisation - something that Windows users would rightly point to as benefits of Windows are being locked down. I don’t know why they’re trying to turn their main PC OS into something a bit more like a mobile OS or tablet OS. 

As a user, I want an OS to be as simple and easy to use for daily stuff but as powerful and open as possible when I want to do something else. That’s really it. No need for the rest of the bullshit. 

It's mad, there's no way they can break back into mobile devices, that ship has long sailed. Maybe they want 'power users' to upgrade to Pro?

34 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I'm wondering if there's benefits to installing SteamOS instead  of Windows...

Depends what else you do, I guess. I need SQL Server and Visual Studio on mine and I'd rather not jump through further hoops to get them working with something else. If you're just playing games, then it could be a good option or as a dual boot.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Torvald Utne said:

You don't need a Microsoft account for Windows 11, you can bypass it during setup.

There's also a very simple registry change that amends the context menu to show in full every time 

Yeah, I saved off a couple of batch files to toggle back and forth. The only useful thing the new menu has is that Copy as Path is there without having to press the Shift key-

https://www.wintips.org/how-to-restore-right-click-context-menu-in-windows-11/

How's this sitting with you now you've used it for a while, @Mudface? I'm considering re-upgrading to 11 now they've pushed an update or two. I always have a clean install, so it won't technically be an upgrade, but I'm bored and it's Christmas. I've got my son and GF here, so I need some time to myself to do man things. In the quiet. 

24 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

How's this sitting with you now you've used it for a while, @Mudface? I'm considering re-upgrading to 11 now they've pushed an update or two. I always have a clean install, so it won't technically be an upgrade, but I'm bored and it's Christmas. I've got my son and GF here, so I need some time to myself to do man things. In the quiet. 

It's kind of OK now I've set things up how I want them and it's keeping out of my way. I just don't like the integration of programs with the OS, e.g. XBox Gamepass is under my son's account, and for some reason his email username became attached to mine when I sent emails through Windows Mail- even though it's a GMail account. So an email to my energy company appeared to have been sent by Mark Zuckerberg... Some of the window handling seems pretty odd too; if I'm full screen watching the football via a browser or playing a game and alt-tab out, then I lose the taskbar, pretty sure that didn't happen under Windows 10. And the division between the settings app and the old control panel is as infuriating as ever, that really needs consolidating so you can do everything in the one place. Aside from that, m'eh, 'salright I suppose, just don't see the need for it over W10 as it doesn't appear to offer me anything extra or better.

7 minutes ago, Mudface said:

It's kind of OK now I've set things up how I want them and it's keeping out of my way. I just don't like the integration of programs with the OS, e.g. XBox Gamepass is under my son's account, and for some reason his email username became attached to mine when I sent emails through Windows Mail- even though it's a GMail account. So an email to my energy company appeared to have been sent by Mark Zuckerberg... Some of the window handling seems pretty odd too; if I'm full screen watching the football via a browser or playing a game and alt-tab out, then I lose the taskbar, pretty sure that didn't happen under Windows 10. And the division between the settings app and the old control panel is as infuriating as ever, that really needs consolidating so you can do everything in the one place. Aside from that, m'eh, 'salright I suppose, just don't see the need for it over W10 as it doesn't appear to offer me anything extra or better.

Yeah, this move away from control panel to settings, whilst still having control panel... it's actually spread through the OS. Lots of new ways to do thing without removing the old ways. It's really fucky. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, this move away from control panel to settings, whilst still having control panel... it's actually spread through the OS. Lots of new ways to do thing without removing the old ways. It's really fucky. 

Especially when the older stuff has more functionality but still looks nearly the same as it did in XP... If they're not going to have everything consistent then they really should split the OS and have a separate Touch/ Tablet Windows version and stop fucking around with the desktop OS.