You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Players Who Never Fulfilled Their Potential

Bjornebye

27 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Bit of a controversial one perhaps - Ross Barkley.

Not really. Flashes of his talent, I just don't think he's got the mindset and he seems quite thick and all. He might not be thick but he doesn't seem driven to do his best. I thought he could have been a bit of a coup for Chelsea. 

On 28/07/2022 at 07:26, 3 Stacks said:

Curtis Jones.

He really needs a good season. Especially now with both Harvey and Carvalho as competition for the attacking CM roles and they’re both younger than he is. Almost a make or break season for him. 

4 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Him and delle alli seem to be the type of players that get to a certain level and just don't progress.

Not sure if it's a mentality thing?

Collymore the best example of mental health curtailing a player’s potential. I felt for him even though he was hated in the dressing room. I read he used to go back to the dressing room surreptitiously and piss on the other players clothes. He wasn’t right in the head and couldn’t handle the stress. Poor guy. 

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

Collymore the best example of mental health curtailing a player’s potential. I felt for him even though he was hated in the dressing room. I read he used to go back to the dressing room surreptitiously and piss on the other players clothes. He wasn’t right in the head and couldn’t handle the stress. Poor guy. 

Collymore was a different kettle of fish

Didn't he come and say he had serous mental health issues at the time?

It's weird because now he would probally get all the help in the world,whilst back then which wasn't that long ago,he was probably just left to it

16 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

This… doesn’t make me sympathise with him. 
There are Gascoigne stories where you can see he took things too far (hiding a fish inside Gordon Durie’s car, telling the Lazio chairman that his daughter had nice tits, “Fuck of Norway” etc) but he seems like a puppy that bites with over-excitement. 
Both Gazza and Stan beat women, both have mental health problems, but it’s an awful lot easier to warm to Gascoigne. Just because you’re mentally ill doesn’t mean you’re not a cunt too. 

4 minutes ago, Ron B said:

There are Gascoigne stories where you can see he took things too far (hiding a fish inside Gordon Durie’s car, telling the Lazio chairman that his daughter had nice tits, “Fuck of Norway” etc) but he seems like a puppy that bites with over-excitement. 
Both Gazza and Stan beat women, both have mental health problems, but it’s an awful lot easier to warm to Gascoigne. Just because you’re mentally ill doesn’t mean you’re not a cunt too. 

To be fair you’ve also made Gazza look like a total cunt there. 

• Upvote 1

On 27/07/2022 at 22:53, Bjornebye said:

Not really. Flashes of his talent, I just don't think he's got the mindset and he seems quite thick and all. He might not be thick but he doesn't seem driven to do his best. I thought he could have been a bit of a coup for Chelsea. 

He went from being a big fish in a little pond to a little fish in a big one.

He had loads of potential but moved to a club where he was never going to shine brighter than the rest of them.

He could have been much more at a different club imo.

2 hours ago, Ron B said:

My favourite Gaza story was him breaking in to Ali McCoist’s house at 3 am just to rearrange cans of Diet Coke in the fridge so the labels lined up the right way. Apparently Ali had offered him a drink earlier that afternoon and Gaza couldn’t sleep for the memory of the sight of the unordered cans. 

4 hours ago, aRdja said:

To be fair you’ve also made Gazza look like a total cunt there. 

Yeah, for my money the Gazza stories tend to get filed under ‘He’s gone too far’ ‘Not my humour, but other players seem to be find bit hilarious’ etc. 

Pissing on your colleagues’ clothes? There’s no joy or glee. Just the actions of someone who nobody liked.

Is it pedantic to distinguish between a cunt and a fool? 

• Upvote 1

Real Balompedica Linense have signed former Liverpool and Manchester City striker Bobby Duncan.

Duncan, who is a cousin of Reds legend Steven Gerrard, is now 21 and has penned a four year deal with the Spanish outfit.

Real Balompedica Linense, which play in the Tercera Division, confirmed his arrival, saying: "Real Balompédica Linense is pleased to announce the signing of British midfielder Bobby Duncan until 2025.

"The new and talented attacker is a footballer with great projection, with good individual technical quality, offensive combination capacity and final pass, precision with his left foot and a goalscorer."

The striker played under Wayne Rooney at Derby County for the last two seasons but made just one appearance.

He also struggled in his year at Fiorentina, failing to break into the first-team and only scoring four goals in 12 games for the under-19s.

24 minutes ago, amli said:

Real Balompedica Linense have signed former Liverpool and Manchester City striker Bobby Duncan.

Duncan, who is a cousin of Reds legend Steven Gerrard, is now 21 and has penned a four year deal with the Spanish outfit.

Real Balompedica Linense, which play in the Tercera Division, confirmed his arrival, saying: "Real Balompédica Linense is pleased to announce the signing of British midfielder Bobby Duncan until 2025.

"The new and talented attacker is a footballer with great projection, with good individual technical quality, offensive combination capacity and final pass, precision with his left foot and a goalscorer."

The striker played under Wayne Rooney at Derby County for the last two seasons but made just one appearance.

He also struggled in his year at Fiorentina, failing to break into the first-team and only scoring four goals in 12 games for the under-19s.

21 and he’s on his 5th club? I remember all the talk about him but that number of moves doesn’t bode well.

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Watch him more. He's brilliant. When fit. 

I watch a fair bit of Arsenal, I have a soft spot for them, as I lived in Angel for a bit. He’s a decent enough left back, not near as good as Robbo or even Tsimikas.