You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our midfield

Mil-ing Around

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

He's not a forward, he's not a midfielder, and he weighs about 8 stone wet through. No idea why we bought him. 

He looked great in the Championship, so I’m sure he’ll feel right at hime again, if you catch my drift.

9 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Just been looking thru the ‘Carvalho Welcome to Liverpool’ Topic.

Looks great in the show-reel.

Described as ‘an exciting attacking midfielder. Can play front three. *Coutinho-esque*

Bought to compete against The Ox, , who in turn replaced Coutinho.

Everybody was excited.

WTF HAPPENED?? Why is this guy not in the starting lineup? Another waste if funds? Are we destroying prospects? 

He cost £5mill we don’t play the right formation for him and with the state of our midfield playing him and the same applies to Elliot is throwing him to the Wolves.  He’s the least of our issues.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Its having players with the 'legs' to do it though. Henderson and Fabinho don't have it while the jury is out on Thiago out of possession too. We cant do what we used to in midfield with what we currently have,that needs to change. We could cycle Milner and Henderson but then what about Fabinho,and a tiring Thiago? The last thing we need is a reliance on Keita,or even Jones with his record. Elliott is pretty good in possession but not so much out of it either. I'd say its about finding a style that suits what we have given how unlikely that anybody of note is coming in. I also wish we'd stop trying to make tackles from the 'wrong' side,which all our midfielders are guilty of and especially Thiago.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Its having players with the 'legs' to do it though. Henderson and Fabinho don't have it while the jury is out on Thiago out of possession too. We cant do what we used to in midfield with what we currently have,that needs to change. We could cycle Milner and Henderson but then what about Fabinho,and a tiring Thiago? The last thing we need is a reliance on Keita,or even Jones with his record. Elliott is pretty good in possession but not so much out of it either. I'd say its about finding a style that suits what we have given how unlikely that anybody of note is coming in. I also wish we'd stop trying to make tackles from the 'wrong' side,which all our midfielders are guilty of and especially Thiago.

Why the hell is the jury out on Thiago?  Thiago makes more successful tackles than the rest of them combined.  He's often caught wrong side because he's trying to influence the play going forward.  When he plays deeper, a la Henderson or Fabinho, he isn't caught wrong side.  The evidence is there - I don't know why people wilfully ignore it.  Let's see how Thiago does when he's not doing the jobs of three men.  

Actually we saw it against Wolves last time out.  He was really good.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It is 100% down to not having the legs to do what we used to do so well.

Therefore different answers need to be found, because if we continue asking players to do stuff they simply can't do then we are going to continue to see teams run through, by and over us - and we'll suffer going both ways.

I do agree with the people who say Thiago does win some, but he is being asked to do too much and actually needs freeing to focus on using the ball intelligently and dangersously after getting it from others winning it as opposed to being almost the only one in midfield who does win some.

Our biggest failing is we win next to fuck all from broken play and 2nd balls and when we lose those situations time and time again we are exposed.

2 hours ago, stringvest said:

Thiago has stopped playing that disguised pass he always used to play. He done it in that clip and it reminded me I haven't seen it in months. The one where it looks like it's going to the right wing and he fires into it the right sided centre forward position instead. Probably a lack of movement that has prevented that pass.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, an tha said:

Not that it matters but it would sum up this season perfectly if he finally was fit and was banned...

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2023/01/24/arthur-banned-juventus-illegal-actions/

Sounds like a certain club across the park. They only problem is that they havent got those points to dock!

On 25/01/2023 at 21:42, an tha said:

Not that it matters but it would sum up this season perfectly if he finally was fit and was banned...

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2023/01/24/arthur-banned-juventus-illegal-actions/

It would. Also assume a ban wouldn’t make much of a difference as he’s probably nowhere near good enough to be in the matchday squad anyway. At least not until we get 5 or 6 new injuries, and when that happens he’s probably one of them. 

57 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

The Keita / Thiago / Bajcetic combo is currently our most dynamic effective midfield. They’ll be working their bollocks off for the rest of the season. Or calling in sick.

Hendo was Ok when he came on. We lost all impetus when Fabinho & Jones came on.

• Upvote 1

Hendo will always look ok 'when he comes on' and when playing a max of 1 game a week - he isn't a bad footballer and has not become one overnight.

But ask him to play 2 or 3 games in a week at the highest level now and he simply can't cope and ends up looking awful.

He surely now has to transition into sort of role Milner has held - coming on to help see out games, playing early cup rounds, as a rotation option or for that 1 game in middle of two bigger/harder ones.

The problem is of course the paucity of other options to make this happen in the clusterfuck we call midfield - Summer did not see it being addressed, this window isn't seeing it being addressed - the coming summer simply has to.