You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Diogo Jota

1892-LFCWasBorn

He's just an unbelievably clinical and intelligent footballer. He's never going to be a superstar in the way a Mane, Salah or Torres were but he's just as ruthless and effective as anyone in the final third. I think his link up play and dribbling is completely underestimated he has a bit of Suarez in him, seriously quick minded and anticipation better than anyone on the pitch. Gonna be key for us to win this league.

He reminds me of a less spectacular peak Fowler.

Way he finishes is similar and has similar instincts - not as capable of the spectacular goals as Fowler which is why i say less spectacular but for my money Fowler is the player that always comes to mind with Jota.

45 minutes ago, an tha said:

He reminds me of a less spectacular peak Fowler.

Way he finishes is similar and has similar instincts - not as capable of the spectacular goals as Fowler which is why i say less spectacular but for my money Fowler is the player that always comes to mind with Jota.

My thoughts exactly. He doesn't have Fowler's finishing and style but very similar off the ball and you can forget he's there sometimes until suddenly the ball's in the net. Absolute class player and long may this form continue. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

I thought he was poor today compared to his standards.

But plenty here seems to be saying he was very good. 

He works incredibly hard, and he scores.  He tends to make the right decisions more often than the rest of our forward players, and he's not afraid to take a kicking, or deal one out.

He’s our best striker on current form, and it’s to his credit that, when it’s not him actually scoring, he’s often involved somewhere in another doing so, if not directly then with clever runs off the ball to create space.

There’s a touch of snide about his game that causes opposition players to lose it with him, and it’s likely deliberate and designed to give him an advantage over them, which may be cynical but is also clever.
His decision making, though, is excellent, he doesn’t often go for the poor percentage option, as often as others do, when there’s a player in a better position he’ll try to find them, but he’s pretty clinical as well.

All in all, he’s a much better than others outside the club give him credit for, which is just as well for us because losing Firmino and Mane as we did, it’s allowed some continuity with Salah up front while Nunez, Gakpo and Diaz have been finding their feet.

I only hope his injuries are fewer going forward as, with any player, they disrupt chances to build understanding within the team between players and affect form, but he’s an intelligent footballer, an astute signing, and I’m happy he’s here.

I don't know if it's just me but since his return from injury and that 30-odd match run without scoring, he seems to have added more to his game. He's a lot more involved and even drops deep when the need arises. He's quietly become one of our most important players, definitely the most important forward.

On 11/02/2024 at 10:10, skend04 said:

I don't know if it's just me but since his return from injury and that 30-odd match run without scoring, he seems to have added more to his game. He's a lot more involved and even drops deep when the need arises. He's quietly become one of our most important players, definitely the most important forward.

Nope, that is visually (we’re shit when he doesn’t start) and statistically (we only lose when he doesn’t start) Darwin. Love Jota though 

• Upvote 1

Think he's under appreciated in some quarters here. Brilliant player. He takes risks most other players won't and he's justly rewarded. 

Can't think of many players who'd score that goal against Chelsea the other week, when he wormed his way past the two defenders in close proximity. Great in the air as well!