You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nike deal

6 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yes, but the response that's coming will be 'yeah, but the club brief them on that' and the counterpoint is 'ok, who and when' to which the reply is 'you're stupid if you don't think...'. What it really boils down to is that it's a guess.  A guess from somebody who clearly fucking hates the owners and has shown that over the last X amount of years. That's fine, they're businessmen - who gives a fuck if somebody hates them - but let's not pretend he's some objective source of information, he's twist anything to show the owners are a massive bunch of shithouses. 

I completely agree with you this will turn out to be a very good deal and make us a shit load more money. 

But this is just bullshit. 

It’s been the reporters at the Echo who have direct access to the top of the club and have continually blown smoke up their arse. 

You’re doing exactly what you accuse others of and taking an opinion and twisting facts to back you up. 

11 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I completely agree with you this will turn out to be a very good deal and make us a shit load more money. 

But this is just bullshit. 

It’s been the reporters at the Echo who have direct access to the top of the club and have continually blown smoke up their arse. 

You’re doing exactly what you accuse others of and taking an opinion and twisting facts to back you up. 

Erm... you just did exactly what I said. 

10 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

You’re not fucking daft, why pretend to be? 

This is going exactly as I just said!! 

Read the bit you bolder, then your responses. It’s exactly what I described. I’m not daft and I’m not going to pretend to be just to be in agreement with you. 

23 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

This is going exactly as I just said!! 

Read the bit you bolder, then your responses. It’s exactly what I described. I’m not daft and I’m not going to pretend to be just to be in agreement with you. 

Then leave it. 

If you fail to acknowledge the club use the Echo to put out information they want heard then there’s no point going any further. 

I'm really sad. I really like New Balance trainees and own loads. I see Nike as the playground bully of sportswear; they're right gobby fuckers. New Balance are like the new kids who've come into the school half-way through the term. And a good proportion of New Balance stuff is made in the UK. Other than an old pair of shinnies, I can't think of anything Nike I own. Swoosh my arse. 

I don't know the detail of the court case but backing out of an existing contract to go with Nike seems like yet another way in which we lose our identity of doing things differently. Call me old-fashioned. 

38 minutes ago, rb14 said:

I'm really sad. I really like New Balance trainees and own loads. I see Nike as the playground bully of sportswear; they're right gobby fuckers. New Balance are like the new kids who've come into the school half-way through the term. And a good proportion of New Balance stuff is made in the UK. Other than an old pair of shinnies, I can't think of anything Nike I own. Swoosh my arse. 

I don't know the detail of the court case but backing out of an existing contract to go with Nike seems like yet another way in which we lose our identity of doing things differently. Call me old-fashioned. 

The current NB deal expires in summer 2020. They have a matching clause in the current contract which means that while Liverpool can negotiate a deal with a different company (ie, Nike) from summer 2020, NB have the right to see the terms and match them. If it's shown that they can, then they have the right to automatically renew (for another 2 years I think). It's not just a case of matching the amount offered, but other aspects like distribution, % of royalties, and in the case of the Nike offer, bringing on board non-football athletes and influencers of the calibre of Serena, LeBron and Drake to help promote LFC worldwide. It doesn't mean that those 3 would specifically be on board (although LeBron's stake in FSG suggests he would be almost certain to be included, and he's a very big deal in terms of recognition, influence and sales) but that Liverpool would have tie-ups with Nike-affiliated people of similar high profile. That's what Liverpool felt NB could not bring to the table, and the court agreed with that viewpoint last week.

Come what may, NB and Liverpool still have to maintain a working relationship between now and next summer. In light of the court case, I can't see the partnership being extended anyway.

I agree that NB's products are of very high quality judging by the items I've bought. I can only speak for the home shirts and a pair of trainers, but all have proved impressively durable, especially the trainers which simply refuse to fall apart. I haven't bought anything by Nike in a long long time but if the quality is at least on par with what NB have given us, then that's a good thing.

• Upvote 1

I really couldn't give a shite about Liverpool fc being linked to US sports stars who most in the UK barely give a shit about or have hardly heard of. I don't like Nike as a brand and have never had new balance stuff either. I just hate that modern football has turned into a corporate shifest and our club is a major part of turning English football into a business bun fight for about 5 or 6 clubs. Fuck corporate cunts and let's get back to wearing kits that fade in the wash and where the shorts turn pink. They would match some of the fannies that wear them.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I really couldn't give a shite about Liverpool fc being linked to US sports stars who most in the UK barely give a shit about or have hardly heard of. I don't like Nike as a brand and have never had new balance stuff either. I just hate that modern football has turned into a corporate shifest and our club is a major part of turning English football into a business bun fight for about 5 or 6 clubs. Fuck corporate cunts and let's get back to wearing kits that fade in the wash and where the shorts turn pink. They would match some of the fannies that wear them.

That’s a touch dramatic Vlad and uncalled for. Our boys have proven time and again that they’ve got the cojones.

40 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

That’s a touch dramatic Vlad and uncalled for. Our boys have proven time and again that they’ve got the cojones.

Yes but the amount of money being showered on the top flight as a whole is obscene. Outside about 4 teams everybody else is simply trying to stay in the division and so the cup competitions are treated with contempt as simply staying in the PL is deemed more valuable than winning a trophy. This simply leads to two or three leagues within a league and only about a dozen matches a season meaning anything. Its not necessarily LFC's fault of course but it does make football in general much less interesting for me.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Fugitive said:

New Balance currently make our kits in the Philippines. I’m guessing they will not be on great money and working short days.

The Philippino economy is not some dogshit 3rd world economy. It's actually quite booming. The club is signed up to making sure its suppliers pay a living wage for some years now after it came out manchester united were paying sweatshop rates to the people making footballs to sell in its mega store.

One would presume Liverpool would hold Nike to the same conditions as the rest of their suppliers.