You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

3 hours ago, TK421 said:

There's a winter break this season. 

Its 10 days which we might not get as we will be 2 games behind everyone else and the champions league knockout rounds are scheduled during the before it ends

8 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Its 10 days which we might not get as we will be 2 games behind everyone else and the champions league knockout rounds are scheduled during the before it ends

Klopp has indicated that Origi and Brewster have big parts to play this season, if we sign another forward it wouldn't be fair on them as they might have sought a move elsewhere.

We're well stocked in midfield so don't really need to strengthen there.

There is a case for getting someone in to provide cover for Robertson.  

I think too much is being made of all this.

There will be money there, but clearly not to the extent of last summer because a shitload has been laid out on new contracts and the wage bill will have gone up as a result of that. The other thing is that Klopp is different to most other managers in that the money doesn't burn a hole in his pocket.

If GH or Rafa had £2m left in the kitty, they'd go out and buy someone for £2m just because. Klopp operates differently, as we've seen.

Hypothetically, let's say he has a budget of £50m this summer. He wouldn't spend that just because he could. He'd see who he wanted and if they were either unavailable or too expensive, then he'd rather wait and keep that £50m to add to the budget he'd get in the next window.

Plus we have no idea what's happening behind the scenes. What if they're trying to get Coutinho back but know it's a delicate situation and they have to play a waiting game? Maybe they'll need to hold funds back for that, in which case why would they go out and buy someone now who they don't want as much?

I'm happy to just let it all play out and see where we are at the end of it. I've doubted Klopp's decisions before but he's generally been proved right, so I'm just going to relax and let him get on with it.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I mean, this is absurd. Just taking your full back example from a prior post, you really think the reason we haven't signed a backup left back is because we couldn't even afford the 10m fee or whatever little amount that player would cost?

Obviously not. He just doesn't want to sign one at the moment. His mind might change at some point, but it's not because there's no money. 

We've been linked with 2 left backs this summer to my knowledge. That firpo or whatever he was called at 45m and that one over the last day or so (max?) At 25m. So it's not 10m. 

1 hour ago, an tha said:

There has to be money available - haven't we just seen record revenues?

If we don't spend money surely it is because Klopp thinks we don't need to, not because the money isn't there or he's been told he can't have any.

As far as I know it's not a fear of spending as we expect to sell, it's the wage bill which the owners believe has gone up too much too quickly since the signings of vvd, Keita and alisson, plus renewal contracts of the 3 main forwards and others. The planning coming into this summer was the wages must come down. So far we've shifted Moreno and sturridge off the wage bill at a saving of what, about 240k per week? I know we've shifted some players off the books, but we weren't paying wages on them as hey were loaned before - maybe we can include solanke's wages (certainly from when I was told the wages were coming down), but he can't have earnt much. My guess is unless there's a player sale of a really high earner, we'll sign nothing that allows wages to go more than 100k and I guess that Dutch lad has already taken a small slice of that?

6 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

We've been linked with 2 left backs this summer to my knowledge. That firpo or whatever he was called at 45m and that one over the last day or so (max?) At 25m. So it's not 10m. 

None of those are reliable links. We're not going to spend big money on a left back or buy a Junior Firpo, who is a really good player who could start for most clubs in the world when Robertson is the clear first choice. 

We would've bought Lloyd Kelly for 10-15m but he went to Bournemouth. That was reliably linked. You think we can't afford or don't want to pay 10-15m? Crazy talk from you. 

BeefStroganoff is spot on. The congratulatory tone will disappear when we start falling away in the league though. Remember the posters who told us that the capitulation against Real Madrid in the group game at the Bernabeu was a great performance? Or the ones who attacked the fans for refusing to back Rodgers after he got pumped by Stoke, calling them hysterical fannies?

Pat yourselves on the back because half way through the season you'll miraculously forget that you praised the club for not spending this summer. There is no reason for this whatsoever. We recorded £250m in TV revenue alone. In 1986/1987 after we finished second to Everton we went out and bought Aldridge, Barnes and Beardsley and kicked on. Madness to win the European cup and just rest on our laurels. Now is the time to buy real quality to consolidate our position.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

None of those are reliable links. We're not going to spend big money on a left back or buy a Junior Firpo, who is a really good player who could start for most clubs when Robertson is the clear first choice. 

We would've bought Lloyd Kelly for 10-15m but he went to Bournemouth. That was reliably linked. You think we can't afford or don't want to pay 10-15m? Crazy talk from you. 

If you read my last post I think we're not too arsed about fees. They have a way of balancing that with incoming sales and the strange way players value is amortised etc. The concern are wages. My understanding (from someone who's never got anything wrong strategically from these owners) is we want wages down this summer - I was told that last autumn. I dare say if there is someone at 10m, who's wages equate to what a 10m signing is these days, so probably less than robbo when he joined, we'll do it. But there aren't too many players about who go at those sort of fees. FFS, it's a world where Tyrone Mings is going for 25m and he is absolute shite. 

1 minute ago, Boss said:

BeefStroganoff is spot on. The congratulatory tone will disappear when we start falling away in the league though. Remember the posters who told us that the capitulation against Real Madrid in the group game at the Bernabeu was a great performance? Or the ones who attacked the fans for refusing to back Rodgers after he got pumped by Stoke, calling them hysterical fannies?

Pat yourselves on the back because half way through the season you'll miraculously forget that you praised the club for not spending this summer. There is no reason for this whatsoever. We recorded £250m in TV revenue alone. In 1986/1987 after we finished second to Everton we went out and bought Aldridge, Barnes and Beardsley and kicked on. Madness to win the European cup and just rest on our laurels. Now is the time to buy real quality to consolidate our position.

No one likes the self-congratulatory articles. People are just rationalizing what Klopp is obviously thinking which is that there is no one on the market who is worth the big fee and that he'll still be here 3 years from now so he doesn't have to buy this summer. Most people aren't agreeing with it, they're just pointing out what's going on and because we were great last season, people are also positive about the current situation.

This is simple, I don't get why there are these types of posts every day. 

Just now, Barry Wom said:

If you read my last post I think we're not too arsed about fees. They have a way of balancing that with incoming sales and the strange way players value is amortised etc. The concern are wages. My understanding (from someone who's never got anything wrong strategically from these owners) is we want wages down this summer - I was told that last autumn. I dare say if there is someone at 10m, who's wages equate to what a 10m signing is these days, so probably less than robbo when he joined, we'll do it. But there aren't too many players about who go at those sort of fees. FFS, it's a world where Tyrone Mings is going for 25m and he is absolute shite. 

Oh ok. "Hey Jurgen, after a season where you won the Champions League, we don't want you to buy a backup left back because most of them cost too much in wages." Got it. Makes loads of sense. 

8 minutes ago, Boss said:

I kind of get what your saying and fully agree that we should be looking to improve even though the market for improvement is a lot smaller than previous years because of how fucking good we are... but.... And this echoes a lot of your posts lately...

Its the way you say it. 

11 minutes ago, Boss said:

Our business model is not about winning. It's about making our owners rich and it's working marvelously. A 250m investment worth 2bn. We'll dine out on number 6 for at least a year from a PR perspective and when that starts dropping off, they'll try to find another PR drive, which will probably be about he 12th man, which they've dined out on since they arrived. Now and again if we stick ourselves thereabouts we'll win something, especially with such an outstanding talent in charge of our team. The aim certainly isn't to build something that competes every year. That just doesn't give the same financial returns. 

But it's alright, every one enjoyed number 6, it doesn't matter if we throw it all away now. We won number 6, we're smarter than everyone. 

No one likes the self-congratulatory articles. People are just rationalizing what Klopp is obviously thinking which is that there is no one on the market who is worth the big fee and that he'll still be here 3 years from now so he doesn't have to buy this summer. Most people aren't agreeing with it, they're just pointing out what's going on and because we were great last season, people are also positive about the current situation.

This is simple, I don't get why there are these types of posts every day. 

There is no-one on the market who is worth the big fee and will still be here in 3 years?

Pepe

Atal

Werner

Coutinho

Dembele

Ziyech

Fernandes

Are you saying that none of these players would improve the squad and go on to justify the outlay?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Boss said:

There is no-one on the market who is worth the big fee and will still be here in 3 years?

Pepe

Atal

Werner

Coutinho

Dembele

Ziyech

Fernandes

Are you saying that none of these players would improve the squad and go on to justify the outlay?

I have repeatedly said most of these players would improve the squad. Notably Pepe, Atal, Dembele and Ziyech. Unfortunately, the club don't care what you or I think. I'm saying although things are fluid and he may feel differently a year from now, it's obvious Klopp doesn't feel they are worth paying big money for at this moment in time because of the market, because we have a set first 11, because we won a big trophy last year, because he believes in the young players.

Reckon Dave has hit the nail on the head. Gone are the days of us signing players for the sake of us beefing up the squad. If we don’t sign anyone it will because the manager doesn’t think they are a big enough improvement on what we currently have for the money we are being asked to stump up. Pretty simple really and a view that I’m fine with. It’s his job to make the big decisions and he has generally been proved to make the right ones more often than not 

Champions of Europe getting slagged off for cashing in on it in a money driven business...... "Don't pat yourselves on the back" Fuck off. I hope the club milk it because we don't have oil barons running us. 

Its not like the 80's when Ronnie Moran would throw the medals out and say forget them its a new season. We haven't won a thing since we beat Cardiff to win the league cup almost 10 years ago. Fucking right we should be milking it. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Elite said:

You don't love Klopp? You heartless bastard

ha ha of course I like him, probably badly worded, but what I mean is i don't see him as flawless. You can't get too attached. If you get too attached you can't rationalise. Klopp does some great things but he also does some weird things too that I can't get my head around.

Once you stick the boss on a pedestal you can't question him.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

That's pretty much what you said. You think we're not buying a left back because we're suddenly cheap on wages. 

It's not at all what I said. I'm bored with you now as you're clearly unwilling to accept klopp has a salary budget he has to work within and he got the renewals he wanted last year on the basis of this year was a summer of cuts. It's like nobody wanted to believe Rodgers job was to cut costs when he joined, until he was sacked and admitted that's why he was hired that he was willing to work like that. I remember getting told on here I was wrong about that. I also remember getting told I was wrong that we wouldn't sign keita and VVD without selling coutinho, because apparently we were loaded then because the echo propaganda machine said so. The echo propaganda machine is now telling everyone we're only not buying because we've outwitted the world of football and we're that fucking brilliant we don't need anyone. It's fucking nonsense. We're not buying because anyone who'd be worth bringing in would bust our wage budget. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Boss said:

Not only that mate we sold Rush and bought Aldridge as the replacement. But we supplemented the team with three other quality buys thats pushed us another level. I mean at one point we had Dalglish and Rush as our forwards, probably one of the greatest partnerships ever and we had one sub slot. We didn't, as a Club say, "well we can't do any better than these two, so lets keep our powder dry" we went out and purchased Wark and Walsh.

Anyway just my two penneth. Klopp has done amazingly well and I think its more to do with him than the owners, but we'd need another flawless season this time with practically zero mistakes to take that league crown, and I don't think this squad is capable of that. But we'll see.

11 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

It's not at all what I said. I'm bored with you now as you're clearly unwilling to accept klopp has a salary budget he has to work within and he got the renewals he wanted last year on the basis of this year was a summer of cuts. It's like nobody wanted to believe Rodgers job was to cut costs when he joined, until he was sacked and admitted that's why he was hired that he was willing to work like that. I remember getting told on here I was wrong about that. I also remember getting told I was wrong that we wouldn't sign keita and VVD without selling coutinho, because apparently we were loaded then because the echo propaganda machine said so. The echo propaganda machine is now telling everyone we're only not buying because we've outwitted the world of football and we're that fucking brilliant we don't need anyone. It's fucking nonsense. We're not buying because anyone who'd be worth bringing in would bust our wage budget. 

Oh you're bored of me? You've had the same shtick for years, Barry. Come on. Who's boring who?

I've said a million times Klopp operates under a budget, we're sell to buy. I've said that. We need a forward and a backup full back this summer. It's reasonable to believe we aren't buying a top forward because we don't believe any are worth the money, fee and wages, but if you think we're not buying a fucking backup left back because we extended all our top players and have no more money, that's just a crazy statement. 

9 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

That piece in the Echo of everyone running scared in Europe was the best yet. The whole bunch of them at the Echo are some of the worst journalists I've ever had the misfortune of reading. I used to work above them and occasionally see the likes of Pearce and co about, idiots the lot of them.

They are nothing but shills to the club now, theres no independent thought. And that goes for the Twitterati and your fan subscription services. Once they are in bed with the club getting the exclusives, thats it.

I think its a disgrace that our net spend is what it is for a Club of our stature, economic pull and history.

• Upvote 1

Oh you're bored of me? You've had the same shtick for years, Barry. Come on. Who's boring who?

I've said a million times Klopp operates under a budget, we're sell to buy. I've said that. We need a forward and a backup full back this summer. It's reasonable to believe we aren't buying a top forward because we don't believe any are worth the money, fee and wages, but if you think we're not buying a fucking backup left back to the best in the world because we extended all our top players and have no more money, that's just a crazy statement. 

There's a lot more truth in Barry's posts than you're letting on. The owners have always been obsessed with the wage bill. The wage bill has escalated due to renewing contracts for star players. That will affect the transfer budget. I don't think Klopp is the one keeping the powder dry. I think Klopp has been told in no uncertain terms that the budget is very small due to the spiralling wage bill. 

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I've said a million times Klopp operates under a budget, we're sell to buy. I've said that. We need a forward and a backup full back this summer. It's reasonable to believe we aren't buying a top forward because we don't believe any are worth the money, fee and wages, but if you think we're not buying a fucking backup left back because we extended all our top players and have no more money, that's just a crazy statement. 

I have absolutely not said that. I said I reckon from what I've been told, we probably have scope to spend about 100k on wages. I posted that just 2 or 3 posts back. But it is also clear we don't see someone out there who we're willing to spend 100k wages on. I'm not advocating the mad full back buying of Rafa, but I would think for 100k we could find someone of sufficient quality if we really wanted. Everyone wanking about our stats team needs to remember they gave us etoo and balotelli as options to replace Suarez. Klopp has more balls than Rodgers and can say no and my guess is right now that's where we're at, the players presented to him by the stats pack, he thinks offer him less than we have in the club. But do you really think there's not a player out there who we can get who would be better than what we have now, which is milner or kids without a game behind them? 

I would also argue, we should have the money to buy the decent forward cover you mention. We should be rolling in it. But I absolutely think we're not in for a forward because our budget does not allow.