You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Saudi Arabia

Captain Turdseye

12 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Let me ask you something, do you honestly believe, hand on heart, that what Iran and its proxies and allies have been doing over tha past three months is simply a reaction to the current Israel's Gaza operation? That this is the only context?

I don't know 

This is what I was saying yesterday,the whole issue is ridiculously complex. 

How far do you want to go back?

The Americans and British overthrowing the democratically elected leader in Iran?

All I know is for certain is its not a black and white issue and what is happening in gaza is fundamentally wrong on every level.

3 minutes ago, M_B said:

I don't know much, but I do know capitalism protects itself. The Red Sea is a major transit route, so if they don't stop then the US will bomb the fuck out of them till they do. I might be wrong, but I'd bet on the country that spends over $750 billion on defence annually.

But haven't Saudi been bombing them for years,and they have just got stronger?

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

But haven't most countries condemned what's happening?

It's not just the west is it?

But condemnation is a form of intervention I think. It’s all just so fucking messy - I regret adding anything to the conversation as I hit so many different limits with it all pretty early into any discussion. Any vague level of clarity of thought I have is cloudier than a chlamydia piss sample almost immediately 

5 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Yeah, but their defence spending is a mere 50 billion annually and they don't have aircraft carriers, stealth bombers, B-52's, cruise missiles, drone swarms, submarines.....

Plus the US isn't trying to defeat the Houthies - it's trying to stop them attacking ships.

Edit: In the end, the US will probably just give the Iranian's another bag of cash and everything will be done.

Just now, M_B said:

Yeah, but their defence spending is a mere 50 billion annually and they don't have aircraft carriers, stealth bombers, B-52's, crusie missiles, drone swarms, submarines.

Plus the US isn't trying to defeat the Houthies - it's trying to stop them attacking ships.

They had all that and still couldn't beat the taliban though?

Though obviously a land invasion is completely different.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of it,I doubt very much if its going to desecalate the situation  

4 minutes ago, Curly said:

But condemnation is a form of intervention I think. It’s all just so fucking messy - I regret adding anything to the conversation as I hit so many different limits with it all pretty early into any discussion. Any vague level of clarity of thought I have is cloudier than a chlamydia piss sample almost immediately 

Its incredibly complex 

Personally speaking for me,the priority should be stopping the slaughter in gaza  

I think that's way too late now though.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

They had all that and still couldn't beat the taliban though?

Though obviously a land invasion is completely different.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of it,I doubt very much if its going to desecalate the situation  

They aren't trying to beat the Houthies; they are trying to stop the attacks.

And the attacks will stop. Whether it's because the attackers are all dead or because they are all rich remains to be seen.

15 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

whole of the middle east needs their wings clipped and global influence reduced. quicker we go to sustainable energy and reduce our reliance on their oil the fucking better. 

Your not suggesting the west care about anything but defending itself from the “bad guys” are you????

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Your not suggesting the west care about anything but defending itself from the “bad guys” are you????

Don't tell code but I'm jealous of Norway

Our reliance on agreements with the arab states fucking stinks, Bizarely America's reliance on them and then close alliance with Israel is just fucking weird - well maybe not f you just consider the world in $$$$$

11 hours ago, Arniepie said:

11 hours ago, M_B said:

And the attacks will stop. Whether it's because the attackers are all dead or because they are all rich remains to be seen.

MB, like a Btec John Bolton who thinks the Yanks and their mates can solve every problem by dropping bombs on them. He's learnt nothing fom Ukraine, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya. Syria. Gaza. Vietnam etc

20240114_034321.jpg

Ifs probably his wishful thinking when he ridiculously says the Yanks will "kill them all"..here's the reserves. 

Good luck. 

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

MB, like a Btec John Bolton who thinks the Yanks and their mates can solve every problem by dropping bombs on them. He's learnt nothing fom Ukraine, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya. Syria. Gaza. Vietnam etc

20240114_034321.jpg

Ifs probably his wishful thinking when he ridiculously says the Yanks will "kill them all"..

Good luck. 

And we’ve got the China Crisis 

12 hours ago, Arniepie said:

I don't know 

This is what I was saying yesterday,the whole issue is ridiculously complex. 

How far do you want to go back?

The Americans and British overthrowing the democratically elected leader in Iran?

All I know is for certain is its not a black and white issue and what is happening in gaza is fundamentally wrong on every level.

And I think it will get more complex. Regional powers are clearly getting more ambitious every year, just look at Turkey. Ever since the Americans decided to withdraw from Afghanistan in the way they did and the situation it created there is a clear willingness on the part of various players to test their strength and resolve as well as stress test the entire established order, when they feel they can profit from proving that the balance of power has shifted or international power structure changed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, M_B said:

I suppose time will tell

33 minutes ago, SasaS said:

And I think it will get more complex. Regional powers are clearly getting more ambitious every year, just look at Turkey. Ever since the Americans decided to withdraw from Afghanistan in the way they did and the situation it created there is a clear willingness on the part of various players to test their strength and resolve as well as stress test the entire established order, when they feel they can profit from proving that the balance of power has shifted or international power structure changed.

I saw Erdoğan warning against the bombing the other day.

I suppose another aspect Is just how much you trust this government?

• Upvote 1

Nobody saw that coming.

I simply can't believe that escalating the violence hasn't worked out for us. If only we had some evidence of bombing parts of the Middle East in the recent past to show us what usually happens.

It's the obvious trade off for arming, funding, and providing propaganda for a genocidal Israeli regime. Someone will have crunched the numbers, I guess.

Our continuous quest to create generation after generation of people in the region who understandably despise us.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Nobody saw that coming.

I simply can't believe that escalating the violence hasn't worked out for us. If only we had some evidence of bombing parts of the Middle East in the recent past to show us what usually happens.

It's the obvious trade off for arming, funding, and providing propaganda for a genocidal Israeli regime. Someone will have crunched the numbers, I guess.

Our continuous quest to create generation after generation of people in the region who understandably despise us.

No no, it's because they hate our freedoms.

Herp 

I was about to say oil was back down to about $71-72 and there does not seem to be much anxiety over what Yemeni rebels are plotting to do next, when they hit another ship. No damage they are saying.

55 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I was about to say oil was back down to about $71-72 and there does not seem to be much anxiety over what Yemeni rebels are plotting to do next, when they hit another ship. No damage they are saying.

Biden (or more accurately the bloodhounds behind him) launches attacks against Yemen when Petroleum reserves are at their lowest for forty odd years. 

20240115_163010.jpg