You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Average players you REALLY wanted us to sign....

aRdja

Inspired by an exchange in the members forum between The Woolster, 9 God and myself. I’ll start...

Franck Queudrue. A decent enough player. Good size, a good footballer, but he wasn’t any better than Riise.

Laurent Robert. A magnificent set-piece taker, and a natural wide player. Never really lived up to his initial promise I don’t think.

• Upvote 1

Phil Babb after building on his league form with a wonderful world cup

and we did sign him

and he seemed disinterested and was fuckin shit and the only memorable thing he did here, outside of the white suit, was to smack his balls into the post.

PS and that wee Norwegian fella who was tearing it up at Wimbledon and we signed him and he was that ordinary that I can't even remember his name.

I remember seeing a striker play really well for Derby County back in the 90s. Derby County were OK as a team but certainly nothing special and for a striker to play well for them was hardly a demonstration of anything other than being above average. But when the rumours started that Liverpool were after Dean Saunders it seemed to be a signing that made perfect sense and couldn't wait until the signing was confirmed. I think he was also the record signing at the time also.

For me personally though, he really did personify the average striker who performed exactly to the level he promised.

Phil Babb after building on his league form with a wonderful world cup

and we did sign him

and he seemed disinterested and was fuckin shit and the only memorable thing he did here, outside of the white suit, was to smack his balls into the post.

PS and that wee Norwegian fella who was tearing it up at Wimbledon and we signed him and he was that ordinary that I can't even remember his name.

Leonhardsen.

Alun Armstrong. Forward who played for Boro. Had a brief purple patch and I was convinced he was going to be boss.

Martin Reuser. Ipswich wide midfielder. Scored some belters which kind of gave an unwarranted high impression of him.

Philippe Albert. Not sure he was that bad. But, I thought he was a lot better than he actually was.

And, one we did sign...Markovic. I fell for the YouTube compilation fallacy. That makes a player look better than they actually are. I was convinced that Markovic had all the attributes to be boss and would step up a level with us. Alas....