You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

There's no way we're getting him now with Pellegrino there. Could you imagine the headlines: "Former Liverpool defender and coach sells star player to his former club!!!" The fans would turn on him instantly.

Nah that won't matter. Southampton will know he is off but they want a bidding war and also to be at least seen to try and keep their best players. A 60 million pound take it or leave it offer should get it done. I badly want us to sign him. Him and Matip would be our best cb partnership since Carra/Hyppia

• Upvote 3

Nah that won't matter. Southampton will know he is off but they want a bidding war and also to be at least seen to try and keep their best players. A 60 million pound take it or leave it offer should get it done. I badly want us to sign him. Him and Matip would be our best cb partnership since Carra/Hyppia

Isn't that the whole reason that the shit hit the fan in the first place, When VVD stated that his preferred destination was us, that in turn stopped any auction in its tracks. Southampton saw their arse and we shit our pants.

• Upvote 1

I agree , watched them both at St Mary's last year in the 0-0 ithink and thought exactly the same thing , running out of things to say down here but can't exactly seeing him playing for Saints next season because of this , then again there's plenty of players that have wanted away yet carried on for a while at the club they wanted to leave.

I've got little sympathy for Southampton. They seem to have knowingly watched us tapping up their player and sat on that info for a while, hopeful it'd add one more club to the bidding war. The leak fucked it all up, and they hadn't accounted for VVD being so keen to come here, but I've little doubt there'd be evidence that Chelsea and perhaps City both made contact in some manner that would breach the regulations. We were just dumb enough to get caught.

I reckon we have to go back for him, partly because he was Klopp's primary target and FSG want to be seen to back him, and also because if we get a reputation for unsettling players and then leaving them in the lurch it could be hard to sign others.

Largely agree; they have been too cute for their own good.  Been fucking about too long now. I would give them a take it or leave offer with a couple of days validity then go shopping elsewhere

If they sell him, Southampton will make it a point to send him anywhere but LFC unless we pay 70m. And if no one else comes in for him they'll keep him just like they kept Scheniderlin and Wanyama for an extra season when they wanted to leave. No doubt in my mind.

• Upvote 1

If they sell him, Southampton will make it a point to send him anywhere but LFC unless we pay 70m. And if no one else comes in for him they'll keep him just like they kept Scheniderlin and Wanyama for an extra season when they wanted to leave. No doubt in my mind.

It's on

That is the sort of reasoning that wont see us win the title and continue to struggle to hit top 4 consistently. Our competitors get their first choice targets and we get our second to fourth choices. If we have the Money to make a push we should do it.

If the player has his heart set on playing for Klopp and refuses to talk to Chelsea they wont want to turn down £60 mill and have an uninterested player on their hands. 

The ball is in VVD's court now, its up to him how much he wants the move to happen.

Putting down a take it or leave it offer is premature at this stage. This potential tranfer has become a war of attrition. If we put down a take it or leave it offer right now, Southampton will leave it and claim a massive PR victory. If VVD is our top defensive priority, much better to let it rumble and see if they crack. VVD has some ability to apply a little pressure as well, should it come to it.

I'd do it for £60M even if the money is madness. In this instance it's about the quality, and I don't see any better than VVD out there.

For those who are unduly worried about the price, selling Sakho will offset it, and if you factor in Matip, on a free, then all of a sudden the defensive unit looks reasonably priced, even if VVD himself will be a lot.

Pace, power, decent on the ball, good in the air... get it done!

• Upvote 1

If the player has his heart set on playing for Klopp and refuses to talk to Chelsea they wont want to turn down £60 mill and have an uninterested player on their hands. 

The ball is in VVD's court now, its up to him how much he wants the move to happen.

That seems logical but Southampton's have painted themselves into a corner, They cant be seen to playing hardball and reporting us to the FA one minute then selling him for less than their stated min price the next , Chelsea are not a factor as long as VVD only wants a move to Anfield. Hard to see how they can dig them out the hole unless we give them a fig leaf.

Expect Liverpool will pay a little more to get the deal done this window   

This is it though we always complain that the club won't go big on quality players but now we maybe are people are saying we shouldn't. These are the tactics that get you success, you identify a player you want anc you put your hand in your pocket to get said player.

This is it though we always complain that the club won't go big on quality players but now we maybe are people are saying we shouldn't. These are the tactics that get you success, you identify a player you want anc you put your hand in your pocket to get said player.

Is a fair comment. It just depends whether you think van Dijk is the level of quality that warrants the club going that big on the fee. Personally, I dont.

People might want to chuck stones in as a comparison. Well, Id say city were rinsed by the shite across the park because city had more money than sense.

£60m is crazy but on the other hand he's clearly more than £10m better than John Stones.

Clearly, but that's just an indictment of Manchester City. Unlimited money, a hyped-up manager and they still can't attract the very best players in the world.

City got rinsed because they bought a CB in stones whose technically a good footballer but can't actually do the basics of defending like reading the game, marking players and tackling. VVD is at least a CB that has all those attributes and is brilliant in the air.

For 60-70m even in the stupid climate that exists now we really should be able to sort out at least a couple of our very obvious problem areas not just one of them.

The only area i'd personally agree with that sort of money for one player would be when you are looking at a game changing attacker - I just don't think a centre half at that sort of money is right.

I fully understand the hesitance given the VVD fee. But out of interest, who are the other central defenders who are good enough to improve us enough, and who offer better value for money?

The whole world knows we have cash and need a central defender. I suspect we would be quoted stupid money for even modest defenders.

I would pinch my nose due to the stench of the game and its largesse, then I would slap the money down to sign VVD.

Mind you, I really like the look of Nathan Ake. Would Chelsea do business with us? How much would he cost? He has pace and is an athletic sort of central defender. VVD is clearly better in the air, but I think Nathan Ake is a good player.

I fully understand the hesitance given the VVD fee. But out of interest, who are the other central defenders who are good enough to improve us enough, and who offer better value for money?

The whole world knows we have cash and need a central defender. I suspect we would be quoted stupid money for even modest defenders.

I would pinch my nose due to the stench of the game and its largesse, then I would slap the money down to sign VVD.

Mind you, I really like the look of Nathan Ake. Would Chelsea do business with us? How much would he cost? He has pace and is an athletic sort of central defender. VVD is clearly better in the air, but I think Nathan Ake is a good player.

Better than Lovren, and better value than signing Van Dijk for £70m?

Fifth_Element_General_Belt_1_4957.jpg

• Upvote 4