You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

1 hour ago, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

Poor Joel. Hoping he makes as speedy a recovery as possible. 

Do we buy in January or put faith in Quansah to be an able back-up option? 

Either way, I think we’ll be looking at centre backs in the summer, if not sooner. 

It will be absolute negligence if we don't.

Feel really sorry for Joel, despite his injury record it has looked like he'd got over it somewhat over the last coilke of seasons, this is a tough one.

24 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Let's face it, he's played his last match for the club, unless he makes an amazing recovery and gets 5 minutes on the last day of the season or something.

Terrific player, but unfortunately made of crisps.

Isn't it usually 8/9 months for a torn ACL?

26 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Let's face it, he's played his last match for the club, unless he makes an amazing recovery and gets 5 minutes on the last day of the season or something.

Terrific player, but unfortunately made of crisps.

I think we need to bring someone in, in January so will probably have to remove him from the squad.

• Haha 1

Surely we gotta bring someone in in Jan. Konate can’t play 2 or 3 consecutive games, nevermind 2 a week, Gomez injury record isn’t the best & we’re gonna need him as cover for the FBs too. Leaves us with Quensah, he looks very good but if we really wanna be competing for the League you can’t be giving him 5-10 games. And that’s reliant on Virg staying fit too. And don’t wanna see Endo playing CD. Where’s Rhys Williams & Nat Phillips these days. 

That sucks, I feel bad for him too and hope he recovers well enough to play for us again at some stage. He's mostly been a player I've liked but over the last year or so I've been less sure about him and have preferred Konate. I know that Konate is also capable of making mistakes but I prefer his style of play. I definitely think Matip is a big loss though and agree that looking for a defender in Jan is probably needed.

The clip I heard yesterday was Klopp saying he'd give him a new deal but it's not up to him. 

Don't think we should personally unless we plan to spend on a 6 amd another forward rather than start rebuilding the defense. I guess if he's 5th choice next year and Quansah progresses then maybe it makes sense

12 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

The clip I heard yesterday was Klopp saying he'd give him a new deal but it's not up to him. 

Don't think we should personally unless we plan to spend on a 6 amd another forward rather than start rebuilding the defense. I guess if he's 5th choice next year and Quansah progresses then maybe it makes sense

Quote I heard was along the lines of were a quality club and the quality thing to do would be to look after him with another deal but that’s up to the club and not him. 

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

The clip I heard

49 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Quote I heard 

“I’m pretty sure the club will show their class, just how they should do,” Klopp said in a press conference ahead of a trip to face Crystal Palace in the Premier League on Saturday. “I’m pretty sure the club told Joel already that whatever happens so long as he is injured. Now we have to make decisions together with Joel, how it looks after that. That’s a normal thing to do. But yes he deserves all the support from us and he will get it."

Asked if that meant the club would give him a new contract, Klopp replied: “I would say so but it’s not my decision in the end. I cannot sign the paper.”

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/12/2023 at 20:29, lifetime fan said:

Quote I heard was along the lines of were a quality club and the quality thing to do would be to look after him with another deal but that’s up to the club and not him. 

All noble and that - but lets face it with the money modern players earn there really isn't any need for this sort of thing - especially if doing it means we can't spend money elsewhere.

Sentiment etc is all well and good - but a new deal for a 33 year old with a terrible injury record with a new serious injury is just not a good idea even on reduced terms and as i say given how we operate it is money that we would be better served using elsewhere.

2 hours ago, an tha said:

All noble and that - but lets face it with the money modern players earn there really isn't any need for this sort of thing - especially if doing it means we can't spend money elsewhere.

Sentiment etc is all well and good - but a new deal for a 33 year old with a terrible injury record with a new serious injury is just not a good idea even on reduced terms and as i say given how we operate it is money that we would be better served using elsewhere.

This 100%.

Matips has earned tens of millions from his career, dont really see any need for the club to ‘take care of him’

• 2 months later...