You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spurs(a) match thread

LFC 6 Times

Feels a bit like a loss, but a draw away here isn't too bad.

Two difficult away games done.

That fucking loss to Burnley is why we're behind the likes of Tottenham and Arsenal already.

EDIT: Matip seems like he could turn out to be useful. He seemed a bit shaky (nervous?) in the first half, but improved in the second.

a point away at spurs isn't a bad result but we seem to find a way to make it one..

i'll bet the top sides go there this season and create less than us, come under more pressure but find a way to win...like de gea for example you just know would save that goal today and win them the points in doing so...

where exactly was our left back in the build up to that goal?

it is these things that keep stopping us from winning games and kicking on as a side.

if they happened just every now and then you'd say fair enough but they happen far too often - we aren't a bad side, but we are so brittle and either fail to put games to bed when bossing them too often and then let in bad goals.

the start of this season has seen that pattern continue...it would be nice to see some evidence that we are solving the problems that plague us

I know what you are saying. I just knew we didn't have enough about us to close out a 1 - 0 win. That second half performance in Basel they served up will haunt me for the rest of my life. For me the lack of a ball winning hard bastard in midfield is just as big a concern as the left back situation. The bottom line is we've played a good team away from home and in my opinion we outplayed them and were very unlucky not to take the 3 points. As the season is only 3 games old I'm going to try and remain optimistic and focus on the positives...for now.

thought we played well

scored 2 goals (1 wrongly disallowed) should have had a pen

coutinho missed a sitter

they didn't create much, I can only recall the fucking idiot in our goal having 4 shots on target 3 half decent saves at comfortable heights and his piss awful attempt at saving a scuffed shot from a shit left back

More worrying for me is jurgens belief that we can go though the season without playing a centre forward,,we haven't got 1 decent midfielder and we only 1 decent full back on the books and he is in average/poor form

I admire his build from the front style - but it's ultimately going to see us finish mid table

These Yank cunts just want profit - yet another season of mediocrity I reckon until these yank cunts spend some money

They've got plenty of cash to put into their baseball franchise though ... probably the TV money from LFC.   twats

I'm not sure what feed people were watching this on and if it's different to the UK, but I'm in Japan at the min and it wound me up in the first half when the ref ordered a retake from a corner when Matip was clearly being grappled and he pointed at the Spurs man and signalled 'one' as if one more and then pointed at the spot.

After the Stoke v City game last week, I don't think anybody's arsed if these are regularly given, hence the constant cry for consistency, but how the hell do you you get a ref going 'one more of those and its a pen'? A pen is a pen like that, surely, if it's first offence or last? Seems like more bullshit from the refs after a supposed clampdown. Mike Dean clearly wanting to get himself on telly last week.

If Klopp really did drop Sturridge in order to 'teach him a lesson' then he can fuck off with that shite. The same goes for his treatment of Sakho.

I'm not interested in our manager stroking his own ego - I'd rather he concentrated on winning us games and ultimately, honours.

Matip and Lovren looked solid together. They look likely to form Klopp's main CB partnership.  It will always be Lovren plus one, Sakho has a mountain to climb to save his Liverpool career. 

I watched the game in the pub before going to Goodison.

How you didn't win was ridiculous-but a few observations.

1.You seemed to tire badly in the latter stages-maybe having trouble keeping your energy levels up after pressing so hard and so well previously.

2. I was surprised that Klopp never took Mane off earlier ,as he was treading a very thin line for a sending off. 

3.Spurs aren't all that. They may be the latest London media darlings, but they won't finish above Arsenal (again ) this season.

Matip and Lovren looked solid together. They look likely to form Klopp's main CB partnership.  It will always be Lovren plus one, Sakho has a mountain to climb to save his Liverpool career. 

Yeah, I think Matip will be quite a useful player for us. I think Sakho's Liverpool career is finished in all honesty.

• Upvote 1

1.You seemed to tire badly in the latter stages-maybe having trouble keeping your energy levels up after pressing so hard and so well previously.

2. I was surprised that Klopp never took Mane off earlier ,as he was treading a very thin line for a sending off. 

3.Spurs aren't all that. They may be the latest London media darlings, but they won't finish above Arsenal (again ) this season.

Good to hear and think once Joe Allen settles he will do well for you....

We didnt win because one lino decided lallana was offside when he wasnt and the other lino decided dier wasnt offside when he was.

I didnt think we tired. Klopp didnt have to take mane off and he didnt get sent off.

• Upvote 1

If Klopp really did drop Sturridge in order to 'teach him a lesson' then he can fuck off with that shite. The same goes for his treatment of Sakho.

I'm not interested in our manager stroking his own ego - I'd rather he concentrated on winning us games and ultimately, honours.

Laughable.
  • Upvote 1

Balance in centre mid is atrocious. Lallana and Wij aren't even centre-mids and Henderson isn't a defensive mid. Soft as shite and just a very very odd selection process going on there.

No problem with 'dropping' Sturridge. Firmino was great in the first half, and the pace of the game  totally justified Klopp's decision. Daniel carrying the extra weight of  his zimmer frame would have been blowing out his arse after twenty minutes.

I can't see anything wrong with what sturridge said during the week,to me he's wasn't having a pop at anyone,he was just stating that he prefers to play up front and finds it difficult to play out wide,he is our best finisher by far and bringing him on with a couple of minutes left was a waste of time....

• Upvote 1

Origi was on fire towards the end of last season, banging in goals - he's ahead of Sturridge for this reason.

Firmino runs to press, has skills, assists and goals in him - he's ahead of Sturridge for this reason.

The only way Sturridge can get back ahead of them is either to run to press, use his skills for the benefit of the team, make goals or bang them in. Klopp is doing this right.

As average as our midfield is, I thought they did really well in this game. Individually, I thought only Henderson actually had a good game, but collectively they got the better of Wanyama and Dier. I don't really think we need a defensive midfielder. Against Arsenal and Spurs they did a reasonable job of restricting chances and the goals conceded have been more due to individual mistakes rather than a lack of protection from midfield or a systemic issue.

The missing piece is a player who is good on the ball and can move the ball quickly against teams who defend deeper and that can play in tight areas against the teams who press higher. I'd also like to think we'll eventually buy a box-to-box midfielder who can actually tackle, but one thing at a time I guess.

I'm not sure what feed people were watching this on and if it's different to the UK, but I'm in Japan at the min and it wound me up in the first half when the ref ordered a retake from a corner when Matip was clearly being grappled and he pointed at the Spurs man and signalled 'one' as if one more and then pointed at the spot.

After the Stoke v City game last week, I don't think anybody's arsed if these are regularly given, hence the constant cry for consistency, but how the hell do you you get a ref going 'one more of those and its a pen'? A pen is a pen like that, surely, if it's first offence or last? Seems like more bullshit from the refs after a supposed clampdown. Mike Dean clearly wanting to get himself on telly last week.

That was a nailed on pen that mate. I'd need to watch it back but I'm pretty sure the ball was live just as he blew up as well.

architects of our own downfall again though....same old story and why we are the mid table team we are.

yeah we are nice to watch, but we can't close games out often enough have a porous defence, are full of errors and have a keeper who is a liability.

you can bet that city, utd, and chelsea will go spurs this season and create half what we do, play much worse and get better results...repeat that half a dozen times a season and there is the difference...

Think it's a case of glass half full m8, I agree with your post. We are improving under Klopp we could go toe to toe with the best teams in Europe are attacking play is incredible.

The problem is gonna be breaking down the teams who park the bus as we don't have the world class quality individuals to pull us out.

Balance in centre mid is atrocious. Lallana and Wij aren't even centre-mids and Henderson isn't a defensive mid. Soft as shite and just a very very odd selection process going on there.

No problem with 'dropping' Sturridge. Firmino was great in the first half, and the pace of the game totally justified Klopp's decision. Daniel carrying the extra weight of his zimmer frame would have been blowing out his arse after twenty minutes.

M8. We bossed the whole match. On another day we would of won 4 the midfield done its job

• Upvote 1