You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

3 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

For all those saying “just give him what he wants” I think the answer is clear. He wants to leave this shit hole island and continue earning millions elsewhere. Fair play to him, I’ll bloody miss him though.

Good point.  Given the choice millions would join him rather than live in a country set on self destruct 

3 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I'd rather sell Milner, Keita and Ox to keep him. He is more important that all of them. Sell them, buy some youth and keep Gini

East this transfer shit. 

What do people think on Kalvin Phillips of Leeds looks good the little I have seen of him

He looks very good, but he's on a long contract (2024), so not likely to have a reasonable price. I think Bissouma and Anguissa are more likely Premier League targets. Their teams are more likely to get relegated too. 

1 hour ago, aws said:

He always says 'it's up to the club". I've not heard him say "I really want to stay but it's up to the club".  Which suggests to me that his preference is to go. But it's his choice and good luck to him if he leaves. 

Well I would guess "it's up to the club" would suggest leaving is not his biggesr priority, but the right deal is. But the right deal for Gini might not be the right deal for LFC.

Providing we replace him correctly, I don't think it will be a massive issue because klopp has a record of dealing with these types of problems throughout his career. But here's the thing, will he get the backing he needs if Gini leaves for free? I know he's not the same level, but when Can left klopp was backed  and we got fabinho and we've improved the team. With the right backing, I trust klopp to be able to do it again. 

That's not to say I want Gini to go, because I don't. But we've plenty of time to plan for this and sometimes players just need the deal that's right for them. Let's hope he signs out with us like thiago did with Bayern. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well I would guess "it's up to the club" would suggest leaving is not his biggesr priority, but the right deal is. But the right deal for Gini might not be the right deal for LFC.

Providing we replace him correctly, I don't think it will be a massive issue because klopp has a record of dealing with these types of problems throughout his career. But here's the thing, will he get the backing he needs if Gini leaves for free? I know he's not the same level, but when Can left klopp was backed  and we got fabinho and we've improved the team. With the right backing, I trust klopp to be able to do it again. 

That's not to say I want Gini to go, because I don't. But we've plenty of time to plan for this and sometimes players just need the deal that's right for them. Let's hope he signs out with us like thiago did with Bayern. 

That's about where I am.  I really want him to stay but I trust Jurgen to do what he can to get him a new deal and to replace him effectively if he can't. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He looks very good, but he's on a long contract (2024), so not likely to have a reasonable price. I think Bissouma and Anguissa are more likely Premier League targets. Their teams are more likely to get relegated too. 

Anguissa looks good when I've seen him but is 25 so probably not the profile they will go for. The kid at Ajax could be a monster

43 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Shit source, but not good when rumours have started about his replacement already, especially one so inferior.

If Gini goes to Inter Milan, I will be genuinely shocked at his lack of ambition.

On 20/12/2020 at 12:51, Razoray said:

Anguissa looks good when I've seen him but is 25 so probably not the profile they will go for. The kid at Ajax could be a monster

Ryan Gravenbach? Aye, he looks class. 

He would vastly improve our past record with Dutchmen called Ryan.

Apparently we have 6 first team players who will only have two seasons left on their deals this summer. 

Maybe the owners don’t want to spend the money on Gini knowing the others are going to cost them big increases in their salaries or they’d massively drop in value to buyers. 

They should just fucking spend on both but might explain the impasse. 

11 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Apparently we have 6 first team players who will only have two seasons left on their deals this summer. 

Maybe the owners don’t want to spend the money on Gini knowing the others are going to cost them big increases in their salaries or they’d massively drop in value to buyers. 

They should just fucking spend on both but might explain the impasse. 

There must be loads of seasons that happens though. We have a 20+ squad and the average length must be around 4 years, there's the odd one at 5 (or 5.5 for vvd), but at the other end there's fellas who will be getting shorter deals. I think the club has to be looking at the age of the squad and trying to work out how best to refresh it. 

The article in the Athletic on Gini's contract situation got me thinking.

It can't be a coincidence that he's only really shown this type of consistency in the past 12 months. I never rated him as all that in first 2 years, and he was dropped in his 3rd year for Oxlade Chamberlain.

He had loads of performances where he'd just disappear, particularly away from home. He was even dropped for the Barcelona second leg because he simply did not perform to a high enough standard often enough that season.

He stepped up big time last season and this season especially, and perhaps it's even in small part, due to the contract.

An extra 5 or 10 percent is massive, though. 

There has to be 2 worries from the management. 1 that the minute he signs, his performances drop off and 2, that he won't be used as much.

Fabinho is back in midfield next season, with Thiago (fingers crossed) fully acclimatised and now Jones coming through.

You'd have to assume Milner sees his last year out and that Keita and Oxlade will stay put. With Hendo, that's 7 midfielders.

Minamino and Trent can cover there too, and we can go 4 up top as we did versus City this season.

I understand that he's hardly ever injured, but that's probably the only reason he's been a main stay in the side for so long. Not sure that will be a good enough reason to double his salary and guarantee him 4 more years.

If his performances do drop-off, no one will be stepping in to cover his wages, because he's not a match winner.

A center half plus keeping the front 3 here is the priority this summer, and if that’s where our focus is, there will be no arguments from me.

That's not to say I don't want him to stay, it's just trying to make sense of the club's stance.

• Upvote 3