You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football 2016/17.

Trumo

Not sure where this belongs, but just finished watching that Sky programme where Carragher and Neville go to St. George's Park to train with the referees and to get an insight into the analysis concerning their performances. Very good watch. If you missed it, it's well worth catching up with. Quite interesting to see the human side of the refs and the work that goes on behind the scenes.

It's probably a sign of me becoming an old fart, but I'm becoming increasingly sympathetic of the refs. I just don't like how they've become a convenient punchbag to cover up the ineptitude of a lot of managers. By all means, a poor decision should be called out (one of the programme's interesting features was watching Anthony Taylor criticise his own performance when he awarded Burnley a pen v Swansea despite Sam Vokes handballing it in the Swansea area; explaining what was going through his mind at the time and understanding how he came to such a poor decision), but the vast majority of these instances are variable, dependent on a number of split-second factors and even after watching it in slow motion from a number of angles, you're still none the wiser. It's just bad snide behaviour and I have more sympathy for the refs in that situation as opposed to a manager who has a week to do his homework and can mull over possible tweaks in a game.

One I remember years back was when Allardyce was West Ham manager and they were leading Spurs at White Hart Lane. There was a minimum (the operative word, which many seem to forget) of three minutes to be added on. The ref played about 30-40 seconds over, during which Spurs equalised. Inevitably, Allardyce was raging about that, when with about 10 mins to play, he'd been subbing off attackers for defensive players and his side we're consequently sitting deeper and inviting pressure. Not that the interviewer mentioned this to him.

Similarly, and it's something I've intimated, is how they're thrown under the bus on MOTD or other footy programmes. You have somebody like Shearer having the luxury of watching a decision in slow motion from a number of angles and sees fit to castigate the ref for decision that still looks anything but clear cut. There was an ace John Nicholson piece on Football 365 regarding this that's well worth seeking out. Like managers use them to exonerate their own ineptitude, it seems an easy get-out for pundits who can't be arsed commenting in any detail on tactics or the pattern of the game itself; a cheap focus on the narrative as opposed to the technicalities of the game that just demeans the intelligence of the viewer.

Anyway, thought the programme itself was a very interesting watch. Defo recommend it.

Yeah I saw that.

First thing I picked up on when they were talking about the Barkley on Henderson tackle was that yes, he (the ref) put his hands up and said he got it wrong, but on the reply you can see the lino with a clear view of it and he shit out (or bottled it as they don't like to hear).

Secondly, Sian Massey looks a bit rough now.

Guest Pistonbroke

Arsenal fans have had years of qualifying for the CL but won next to fuck all, the first season that they might not have CL and they turn into spoilt brats, the cunts deserve all they get. Hope they sack Wenger and bring in a big name failure whilst spunking a fortune on dross. Out of all the so called top six they are every bit as vulnerable as ourselves for falling by the wayside. Fuck em and their fancy cunting stadium. 

Barca 2-1 now against lowly Granada. come on Granada. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Its' been great, hasn't it?

Two quality teams trying to win the game.

Yeah, have it on with commentary and the Granada v cunts game on but with mute. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Cracking equaliser

Hamsik always chips in with a fair few goals for a MF, think he has 11 or 12 again this season. 

Hamsik always chips in with a fair few goals for a MF, think he has 11 or 12 again this season. 

He's only a few goals short of a the record goalscorer for Napoli. Currently held by an Argentinian called Diego Maradona. Not a bad record to be chasing.

Guest Pistonbroke

He's only a few goals short of a the record goalscorer for Napoli. Currently held by an Argentinian called Diego Maradona. Not a bad record to be chasing.

He's been at Napoli for an age like, nearly 10 years isn't it? Still, fair fucks for scoring 80+ goals from MF

He's been at Napoli for an age like, nearly 10 years isn't it? Still, fair fucks for scoring 80+ goals from MF

Around that length of time, certainly has shown loyalty so deserves the captaincy and fair play to him if he breaks the record.

Guest Pistonbroke

Around that length of time, certainly has shown loyalty so deserves the captaincy and fair play to him if he breaks the record.

I like him, always puts in a good shift and not scared to tackle. Only 29, still got a few years in him.