You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge - 2020

• 2 weeks later...
Daniel Sturridge will push for a Liverpool exit in the January transfer window after falling out of favour at Anfield.

giphy.gif

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out, no seriously don't let it hit you or you'll be out for another 12 months. Malingering twat, good fucking riddance. 

It would appear 'patience' only applies one way for Mr Sturridge. 

• Upvote 1

Hopefully there will be a few teams who will be interested as then we’ll get a fee, as well as the wages off the books. I doubt the fee will be big though. I suppose the main benefit would be freeing up high wages for another striker to come in. Hopefully.

Does anyone think there’s a chance the club will say “no”? There might be a thought that while he’s not the main man, over the course of the season we want him to rotate in, or do some sub appearances, and weigh in with a few goals?

I hope that’s not the thought, as Solanke can do that.

Sell Sturridge if there’s a buyer, even if we can’t get another striker in Jan. Then push the boat out in summer for Timo Werner (autocorrect really wants to make that Time Warner, and if we sign him that’s what I’m going to call him!)

seeing as all of our highly-paid , ‘coaching badged up to the eyeballs’ coaches are too scared to suggest to Moreno that being able to kick a ball 5 yards with his right foot might be useful for a player pocketing £50k a week , I am not holding my breath.

It's not a shitness of modern football thing because it seems to have been acceptable since the year dot. But why is this acceptable? Why has it always been acceptable? Not being able to use his other foot might well have cost Liverpool the European Cup in 2008 when Riise decided to head a ball that was coming into him at knee-height rather than put his weak foot through it. "Right you other-leg-is-to-stand-on twats, you stay there at the end of training for an hour to work on that leg. Kick it against a wall for the hour with that leg if you have to." You can have that spiel for nowt, coaches.

• Upvote 1

I don’t get it either. I play with my lad to help him a bit, and he works on his left all the time. I have him cut both ways to shoot into the opposite corner with either left or right, He’s only eleven but he can pass off either foot or clear it, and if a shot is on with the left he’ll take it. It’s ridiculous how a Premier League footballer can be so one footed.

The interview with Steve Heighway on the LFC channel was really interesting,especially how he spoke about using his left foot as he was a right footed player playing on the left wing. He simply said it just made perfect sense to use his left foot when beating player on his left side and getting crosses and passes into team mates. He became so two footed it was difficult to tell which foot was his strongest once he became well established at the club. Why isnt this the norm? Andreas Brehme was another who springs to mind.

The interview with Steve Heighway on the LFC channel was really interesting,especially how he spoke about using his left foot as he was a right footed player playing on the left wing. He simply said it just made perfect sense to use his left foot when beating player on his left side and getting crosses and passes into team mates. He became so two footed it was difficult to tell which foot was his strongest once he became well established at the club. Why isnt this the norm? Andreas Brehme was another who springs to mind.

I remember hearing a similar thing about pele.

Actually disagree on this weaker foot subject.

Maradona and Messi hardly ever used their weaker foot and managed quite well.

All nice to be able to use both feet, but coaching players weaker foot is hardly the key thing to improve our team.

Of course it isnt but being decent with both feet is something that would help most average footballers improve a fair bit. Using Maradona and Messi is a bit unfair when there are a good proportion of left footed players with Albert Morono's ability.

Further proof (as if any was needed) today that he is just nowhere near able to be an asset to us these days.

He is a deadly and clinical finisher and has an excellent touch, but our game is all about speed, movement and work rate and he is way off in all those areas.

Give his minutes to Solanke. He looks hungry and is trying to make his way in the game. Sturridge’s best days are behind him. Sell, sell, sell!

Hopefully there will be a few teams who will take a punt on him in January, with the allure of 8-10 goals to keep them up or solidify their place mid table, whatever their aspiration might be.

Give his minutes to Solanke. He looks hungry and is trying to make his way in the game. Sturridge’s best days are behind him. Sell, sell, sell!

Hopefully there will be a few teams who will take a punt on him in January, with the allure of 8-10 goals to keep them up or solidify their place mid table, whatever their aspiration might be.

Solanke looks nothing more than a massive rookie and a loan move should beckon. We need better than both Studge and So Lanky at present.

I'd happily sell Origi,Ings and Sturridge to fund a move for Aubameyang. We could probably fund at least half of the 50ml needed and clear most of the wages.

Though i doubt the yanks like the idea of a super talented 28 year old on big wages coming in on a big fee

Might as well stick this here as it concerns our forwards -

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/liverpool-latest-divock-origi-wolfsburg-considering-life-after-anfield-a8080536.html

Liverpool's forgotten man: Divock Origi enjoying Wolfsburg challenge as he considers life after Anfield

Exclusive interview: The forward opens up to The Independent about life in Germany, his time at Liverpool and what the future holds

Divock Origi can remember watching lots of YouTube clips when he was a youngster. Specifically, he would spend hours observing the best forwards in the game. He admired the attackers who were “technical, brave and strong players, who made a difference in the football world”: Ronaldo, Cristiano RonaldoZlatan Ibrahimovicand Belgium’s assistant coach, Thierry Henry, who is now tasked with nurturing Origi’s talent. “He is all about, ‘Divock you have to make the runs behind and you have to stretch the play,’” says the 22-year-old at Wolfsburg’s training ground.

“You have to play with your qualities. In the last game that we played, he was talking about this. That’s the most important thing for me, that when I use my qualities in this way and coming to the ball, it creates more space to be creative. I need to make these runs and be generous.”

The forward, who is on-loan at Wolfsburg from Liverpool, is relaxed and composed as he sits in the media area, which overlooks the training pitch at the VFL-Center. He seems happy and content with his start to life in the Bundesliga, which came about after a deadline day move in the summer.

“It’s a different way of living, a different culture,” he tells The Independent. “It’s a great club. We visited the Volkswagen factory and you see how they work. You see more of the city and you understand where they come from. The supporters have always been supportive of us. They have always been a helping hand and I think that I am in a nice environment here.”

Wolfsburg generate a family atmosphere which is incomparable to other football clubs. They have play areas around the Volkswagen Arena, table-tennis facilities and the Wolficlub for children. There’s even part of a stand inside the ground, where the kids can play and watch their idols simultaneously. “That’s nice. They think of everything. There’s a slide. It’s a different culture and it’s nice.”

Origi has only been at the club for three months, but he has already made a significant impact. He has scored four goals in his last eight starts for the Wolves. “I think basically it has been me being focused and wanting to improve in every game. I have been analysing my game a lot. I have been working on a lot of stuff on the pitch and off the pitch. Just paying attention to detail and in the beginning, I needed to adapt, but the results have come and I’m happy about that.”

He has also received praise from sporting director Olaf Rebbe. “It’s complimenting because it’s always nice that people appreciate what you do. At this age, it’s a compliment that somebody like Olaf can value you at this point.”

Wolfsburg ended a run of seven consecutive draws with a 3-1 win over Freiburg earlier this month, but then lost at the weekend to Augsburg 2-1. Origi has been used on the right-wing by new manager Martin Schmidt having previously played more centrally under former coach Andries Jonker. It’s a position he is familiar with after learning his trade out on the flanks when still in France at Lille.

“There are a lot of things you learn from playing wide,” adds Origi. “You also understand the way that you can coordinate with the front three or front two. When you come in from the wide position you don’t feel awkward, but at the same time playing as a striker for a while now at Liverpool made me learn more about the striker position, so it’s about combining it.

“There are not a lot of strikers that play this way. I am lucky for example that I have someone like Henry at the national team, who also played on the wing and then as a striker.”

Origi revealed that it was his decision to seek a loan move, with the striker falling down the pecking order at Anfield. Liverpool signed Mohamed SalahDominke Solanke and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in the last transfer window to add to the already impressive attacking options at Jurgen Klopp’s disposal.

So, what did the German manager say to the Belgian forward about the move? “When I made my choice, whatever choice I make, if the club is ok with it they will agree with it. I think he was behind my choice and he wished me good luck.”

Origi was very complimentary of Klopp and believes that what the public see is exactly what you get with the coach. “I think most people know how he is - energetic, passionate, loves football and a leader, a real leader. He is very personable, warm person. A real leader that you need to identify yourself with and people can identify with.”

The striker enjoyed his time on Merseyside, but is unsure where his long-term future will be. “It’s difficult to say, what I can say is that I want to one day show my talent at a constant level. That comes from playing, learning, expressing yourself and going through good and difficult moments.

“That’s what I am experiencing now at Wolfsburg. It can come quickly or it can take some more time. Everything can happen, I can have injuries or whatever, but of course I try to make the most of it. One thing for sure is that I believe in my ability and we will see where it goes.”

Origi admits that he has been distracted by what has been said or written about him in the past, but has now found a way to concentrate on his development and ignore the negative press. He is now relishing his time in a new country and league.

“I’m happy. I’m in a place that I can grow, I can play and I can learn a lot. It’s a very big league, with interesting games. I can only see it in a positive way and I’m just trying to take the maximum out of it.”

• Upvote 1