You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

Let’s face it, you’d be insane to turn down £30 million a year for playing footy. Bananas money. I remember a back page in the Daily Mirror, must have been in the late 70s, it’s headline was something like ‘Liverpool Stars to earn 3 1/2 Times Average National Wage’

2 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

This is a good point. They’re young often badly educated men with a singular talent of kicking, hitting or throwing a ball. We then build this entire superstructure of values and ideals about the team or the individual on this flimsy foundation and get disappointed when they don’t adhere to the fantasy image we’ve constructed. 

They do have parents and family who are often well aware of the world outside football though. The players live in a bubble but not on the moon. If Henderson hadn't made these stands over LBGT and so forth then very few would care too much,but he did and very publicly too.

If Henderson turned it down and lost out on all that money, would the world be any better for it? Would it change anything in Saudi Arabia? I suspect all that'd happen is a few people would Tweet appreciation for the gesture then forget all about it pretty quick. Then he'd turn up as a pundit on BT Sport and get hounded to hell on Twitter for anything he says. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

He strikes me as the classic "company man"

When the PR team at the FA needed someone to front this particular issue he'd have stepped up no problem- whatever you need boss.

Eg- to compare with Rashford who has campaigned on issues that affected him personally growing up and the passion was there to see 

Im sure he will ride it out for a year and then come back and purchase Scotland      

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

I don’t think its fair to say that it was virtue signalling.

I think that he’s realised that he isn’t good enough for top level football anymore and so has taken the offer of a massive pay day, knowing that if he doesn’t the alterative is to spend two years being a bit part player and becoming a bit of an embarrassment.  

I do not, for one moment, think Henderson will stand out in the Saudi league or his new Saudi team.

It's more likely that he gets his feet lopped off in the public square than it is for him to collect the motm award.

CD'S STATS might have to go on tour.

On 04/08/2022 at 16:06, LFC 6 Times said:

I think it’s really difficult to quantify how good Henderson really is. His attitude and work ethic are absolutely top class and his range of passing, athleticism and crossing are excellent. But he is very much a cog in a wheel in our side.

l2JJwnj5lnUPfMlFK.gif

19 hours ago, stringvest said:

I’m excited for the new season, I only wish we were being proactive in dumping the underperformers rather than us looking like cucks here

Don’t you think, in the case of Henderson, there must have been some proactivity ? Hendo, Gerrard and Klopp all have common contacts and each others number. I can’t help think that some of it was done in the background first, they just forgot about a fee. Maybe I’m wrong 

He’s not getting £700k a week it’s £350k according to this website 

“This Is Anfield has now learned that the number is far lower than those headline figures and are closer to £350,000 per week, tax free. 

This is where the confusion appears to have been, with that amount still almost quadruple his current wages when taking into consideration the tax implications.”

14 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

He’s not getting £700k a week it’s £350k according to this website 

“This Is Anfield has now learned that the number is far lower than those headline figures and are closer to £350,000 per week, tax free. 

This is where the confusion appears to have been, with that amount still almost quadruple his current wages when taking into consideration the tax implications.”

I have mentioned earlier that I don't care about the wages but I'm very disappointed in Henderson for going this way. He is still good enough to play in the Prem if he so desired. Money doesnt matter as an established pro is rolling in it anyhow. I suppose we should just ignore this now in the same way we ignored a dissenting journalist getting himself dismembered by the people who bought another Premier Leagur team? In fact let's just ignore it all as I'm sure it will all turn out fine. 

4 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

The whole thing is a mess. The midfield situation is a mess. Klopp is as culpable as anyone, if not moreso than anyone else. 

Can you give a rationale as to why other clubs that had seen almost universally their turnovers reduce in the Covid period would have bought Keita and Chamberlain and their associated significant wages?

The fault is with those two initial hefty 5 year contracts for players with poor injury records. One of which was well detailed in advance of signing said contract and the other sustained a major injury, which presumably the club thought he could rebound from.

Perhaps Klopp was involved in those decisions it would be interesting to know how they were arrived at.

15 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Tainted legacy.

End of. 

I don’t get this. He will be remembered as a good, steady, reliable midfielder who made 490-odd appearances for Liverpool, captained the side for years, and won the Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup and a couple of League Cups.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I don’t get this. He will be remembered as a good, steady, reliable midfielder who made 490-odd appearances for Liverpool, captained the side for years, and won the Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup and a couple of League Cups.

Is right.

I hear he likes the odd custard cream, picked onion space raiders and has a turd brown leather sofa in his games room at home too.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

The whole thing is a mess. The midfield situation is a mess. Klopp is as culpable as anyone, if not moreso than anyone else. 

stop it.  It's actually the most excited I've been about a season for years.  Fabinho, Henderson, and other non-performers out the door, and players who can make a positive contribution coming in.  I'm sure we haven't finished in the market either. We're already a better team than we were last year.

45 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I have mentioned earlier that I don't care about the wages but I'm very disappointed in Henderson for going this way. He is still good enough to play in the Prem if he so desired. Money doesnt matter as an established pro is rolling in it anyhow. I suppose we should just ignore this now in the same way we ignored a dissenting journalist getting himself dismembered by the people who bought another Premier Leagur team? In fact let's just ignore it all as I'm sure it will all turn out fine. 

Should Liverpool be refusing the money?

4 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Genuine question. If Henderson went missing as often as people such as yourself claim, why did Klopp play him as often as he did?

My dad drives a Toyota Yaris.

That doesn't mean it's a good car, it's just the only option he has.

• dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)