You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Happy Father's Day.

lifetime fan

Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there and best of luck to those trying for kids.

Today is the first time I've missed home since I've been out here. My ol fella and brother are golfing for the day in Devon, staying over for the night and going on a cider session. Fuck I wish I was there with them.

• Upvote 6

My Mrs's dad is over helping us with the house, he's an ex plumber so has been sorting all that out.

He's ace. It's fascinating to watch someone who gets on with their dad as I've never really had one. My dad left when I was two. Met him once when I was 17, I've had a 'step dad' since I was 7 but he's a bit of a tit in all honesty and I have no feelings like that towards him at all.

I considered my granddad my dad really. Took some flowers to his grave yesterday with my mum. He was the one who taught me what a dad should probably be like. Not the flash stuff like trying to impress your mates with his car, but fixing your bike and your toys and turning up to sports day with a bottle of pop.

Thinking about it, virtually all other men in my life, except for him and one uncle I'm close to, have been major disappointments, selfish, childish, and generally bums, not protectors or providers. I'd be intrigued to see what Freud would say about this, I suspect it played its part in me being rather negative at times.

• Upvote 2

My Dad gets a card in the post, can't be arsed spending much time with him.

I love those compilation albums they advertise ahead of father's day, Whitesnake, Chris Rea and Journey, if I got my dad one of them he'd tell me to fuck off.

I don't see my dad (seen him twice in 7 years I think) so spending it with the other half's instead, who's on his way to visit us with the family.

To be honest I find the day quite hard, in that old feelings of resentment come to mind, which I try to ignore.

Hope all the dads on here have a good one though.

I've had a nose on face ache this morning and the fawning over some fathers is nauseating. If you've still got a dad that you love and adore, you're a jammy bastard. You should appreciate this every day, not just throw a load of shite on facebook that he's probably not even on. 

I'd never met my biological father, and as many children these days are exposed too, he was what I was told a waster and I wasn't missing out on anything. Well, yes, I was. I was missing out on the chance to decide that for myself. He died in 2001, I still to this day have no idea what he looked like, other than being told I'm the 'image' of him. I hate fathers day for reminding me of what I didn't and don't have. 

Like many others my grandad was my dad, he set the bar on what expectations I had for my childrens father, I fucked up a bit on the biological bit, but the step dad is pretty shit hot. 

So, to you dads, step dads, grandads, and to those of you fighting hard to be a dad, have a lovely day and make some memories. x 

• Upvote 7

My Dad's has had a bit of a shit week, burying one of his oldest friends yesterday, so we went round with cards and sweets and M&S's best selection of cream cakes. I think he loved it.

You don't always know what you have until you hear others' experience of their dads. I couldn't have asked for more and dread the day he won't be around

• Upvote 4

My dad died when I was 12, he was an alcoholic, I've got some fond memories of being around him when I was a kid but he was never really there, split from my mum when I was 2 and left her supporting 3 kids alone, I really should hate him but he wasn't a bad person he was just an alcoholic, and paid the ultimate price for it.

• Upvote 6

My dad died when I was 12, he was an alcoholic, I've got some fond memories of being around him when I was a kid but he was never really there, split from my mum when I was 2 and left her supporting 3 kids alone, I really should hate him but he wasn't a bad person he was just an alcoholic, and paid the ultimate price for it.

As did the rest of you

Are we talking prequels here?

Yea prequels. Now on episode 5, Empire Strikes Back. Ran the story chronologically so the missus would understand and stop asking me questions when she didn't get it. This is all in prep for episode 7 of course.

Rack of Lamb for dinner and a nice bottle of red. Having a wicked one

My Dad died of a stroke when I was 27. Never really close, he was 45 when I was born so I pretty mich messed up their middle years/retirement years as my three older sisters are 14, 18 and 22years older than me.

He worked shift work so alot of times I would not see him, in a secen week cycle he had three weeks of days and the res were midnights or evenings. i always envied other lads who worshipped thier dad but also was glad as I nad just as many friends growing up whose Dad's were abusive, had serious drink problems or were overbearing and cruel to their wives. A few mates had horrible experiences, you could tell by the way the talked about the fathers even if they didnt share all the stories.

My three are 19, 20 and 22. one son and two daughters, i am not parriculary close to my son but we do not share the same interests. He is not i to camping, the football or other sports, is a bit of a jackass but at 19 to be expected.

My daughter's are pretty ace, though. I am certainly not the best dad or even consider myself a great father but I know I have done a decent job and been there for the family. Made some mistakes but in the end I follow a triple A rule for mistakes- admit, acknowledge and atone.

My eldest got me a picture frame with three pics of the greatest dog who ever lived, my black Chesapeake/lab in action on the tundra.

• Upvote 1

My Dad gets a card in the post, can't be arsed spending much time with him.

I love those compilation albums they advertise ahead of father's day, Whitesnake, Chris Rea and Journey, if I got my dad one of them he'd tell me to fuck off.

Fucks wrong with Journey

• Upvote 1

Fucks wrong with Journey

My Dad doesn't like them.

I was having a go at the generic Dad complilations you get, as if once you become a Dad you somehow instantly like middle of the road rock music and want to listen to Layla in your car.

And they're shite.

• Upvote 1

Guest davelfc

I have three very thoughtful and decent kids, or rather young adults. I've always been very close to my kids even though I split with their mother some time ago now. For me father's day is more of a reminder of how lucky I am to have them. 

• Upvote 3

Even some women can't leave it alone on Faceaids for one day. "Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there, stepdads and to all the women who act like dads bringing kids up on their own". Fuck off.

My Dad is a decent bloke, there were five of us and my Dad always worked hard and supported the family, we never had much in the way of disposable income but we never exactly starved. Can remember my Dad losing his job once and he was ashamed that he would have to come home and tell us. Despite the fact that the two fellas who he worked for had been absolute bastards to him for years. My Dad just never showed his feelings as his entire family were like that.

He came on my stag do a few years ago and I warned him that we would be on the ale all day and would he be ok as he has to get a visa off my Mum these days to go out. Most of my mates had spewed up and gone home but my Dad was still out at 4am drinking even though he was nearly 70.

I've hardly ever talked to my Dad about anything private or personal as my Dad quickly changes the subject to old footy stories or talks about Shankly.

• Upvote 3

My dad was a cunt and split from my mother when I was 8. Best thing that ever happened to me cos I could have turned out like him. Instead I've put myself through college, have a wife and kid who I give my entire life to. I thank my mother for teaching me to be this way but paradoxically I have to thank my father for being a cunt or I'd never be the person I am today.

I'm in my 2nd bottle of red so I'm allowed a ramble now, you quims.

• Upvote 3

My kids offered to cook breakfast for me but both could set fire to cornflakes. so i declined and made myself an epic fry (grill) up. Watched Back to the Future, had a nap while the kids played some zombies vs geraniums game on the xbox, then went to the park to play cricket with the kids in the afternoon. I, in true competitive dad spirit, showed their pitiful bowling no mercy and smashed the ball all over the gaff.  And bowled 90 mph beamers at their heads when they were in.

Came home, cooked smoked salmon and pancetta pasta for tea and watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and then golf until the Mrs went to bed, had a quick tommy and retired for the night.  

Decent.

• Upvote 4