You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Glen Johnson get a new contract?

tlw content

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Intelligent argument as ever. Read your posts back and look what you offer. Fuck. All. No argument. No debate. No intelligence. Just insults and bluster. Fuck off.

• Upvote 1

Intelligent argument as ever. Read your posts back and look what you offer. Fuck. All. No argument. No debate. No intelligence. Just insults and bluster. Fuck off.

You fuck off, you utter cunt. Hey, why don't you do another one of your "we're going to lose" posts. They're REALLY funny!

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You fuck off, you utter cunt.

Fucking moron.

Cymbal-bashing, spastic, monkey motherfucker.

I think you'd better calm down. You seem to take things a little too seriously.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

More like amazing how a couple of poor months which where caused by injury can make a lot forget about 4-5 years service where he has been one of our best players.

A couple of months? Please. What he did five years ago is of no more relevance than what Reina did five years ago.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A couple of months? Please. What he did five years ago is of no more relevance than what Reina did five years ago.

Repped you by mistake there.

He started the season well, he was motm against the mancs, he got injured came back early and did not play well as a result.

He took time out to sort his injuries and since back has played well every game and is gradually improving.Lets see come the end of the season how he has performed injury free, hes due a goal aswell and I wouldn't be surprised to see him score an important one soon.

• Downvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Repped you by mistake there.

He started the season well, he was motm against the mancs, he got injured came back early and did not play well as a result.

He took time out to sort his injuries and since back has played well every game and is gradually improving.Lets see come the end of the season how he has performed injury free, hes due a goal aswell and I wouldn't be surprised to see him score an important one soon.

He has been drifting from poor to inconsistent for two seasons. At his best he's a really good player. The issue is, we see that very rarely. We need depth and quality there. That's not meant to be original or insightful, it's just what we quite obviously need in that position. If he halves his wages, I've no issue with him staying. He's 29 and not been performing and on huge wages. Come on, think about it. People like TK are swayed by who they like and don't like, those things don't matter - it's what they consistently offer the team. I like Johnson, I think he has been good for the club. For the last couple of seasons we've been looking at a very inconsistent performer. Giving him another few seasons - into his 30s - doesn't make a lot of sense unless it's at a reduced amount.

He has been drifting from poor to inconsistent for two seasons. At his best he's a really good player. The issue is, we see that very rarely. We need depth and quality there. That's not meant to be original or insightful, it's just what we quite obviously need in that position. If he halves his wages, I've no issue with him staying. He's 29 and not been performing and on huge wages. Come on, think about it. People like TK are swayed by who they like and don't like, those things don't matter - it's what they consistently offer the team. I like Johnson, I think he has been good for the club. For the last couple of seasons we've been looking at a very inconsistent performer. Giving him another few seasons - into his 30s - doesn't make a lot of sense unless it's at a reduced amount.

I disagree, I think for most of the time he has been here he has been one of our best players, you say he has been off the last two seasons but I have seen a lot of people say last season was his best, he even seemed to win over some of his critics that season.

I'll never understand this argument, a player is either good enough to play for Liverpool or he's not. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'll never understand this argument, a player is either good enough to play for Liverpool or he's not.

Players fulfil a role in the side and get paid accordingly. I want him to perform a different role now he's ages and regressed. Pay surely reflects ability and status. His has changed.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I disagree, I think for most of the time he has been here he has been one of our best players, you say he has been off the last two seasons but I have seen a lot of people say last season was his best, he even seemed to win over some of his critics that season.

Well, I've never been in the 'critics' category until recently, and he has been trailing off in my opinion. This season has been poor, injured or not. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

So you'd be happy to pay Luis Alberto 250k per week? Of course not. Players fulfil a role in the side and get paid accordingly. I want him to perform a different role now he's ages and regressed.

That's a bit of a stupid example in all fairness but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if Luis Alberto was getting 250k as long as he was earning it, in fact it would make a lot more sense than giving him his current wage for the square root of fuck all.

Keeping Johnson because he's 50% cheaper says you're happy to play a player who's talent is dwindling for the sake of a few quid. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

That's a bit of a stupid example in all fairness but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if Luis Alberto was getting 250k as long as he was earning it

It wasn't an example of anything, stupid or otherwise. It was an illustration - which I then edited - of exactly what you just said. I've also no problem paying a player any amount as long as they're earning it. Pay is reflective of status and contribution. For me, Glen Johnson isn't a 110k per week player. Certainly not any more.

Keeping Johnson because he's 50% cheaper says you're happy to play a player who's talent is dwindling for the sake of a few quid.

No it doesn't. It means that players are paid accordingly. Anything really is stupid. I'd keep him because he'd be a good squad member. Squad members past their prime are paid differently from first-teamers in their prime. Does this really need explaining? It's standard business practice. It's standard practice in football clubs.

Is Glen Johnson a 110k per week player to you?

It wasn't an example of anything, stupid or otherwise. It was an illustration - which I then edited - of exactly what you just said. I've also no problem paying a player any amount as long as they're earning it. Pay is reflective of status and contribution. For me, Glen Johnson isn't a 110k per week player. Certainly not any more.

No it doesn't. It means that players are paid accordingly. Anything really is stupid. I'd keep him because he'd be a good squad member. Squad members past their prime are paid differently from first-teamers in their prime. Does this really need explaining? It's standard business practice. It's standard practice in football clubs.

Is Glen Johnson a 110k per week player to you?

He is 29, you're speaking about him like he's as old as Giggs. He will be nearly 31 when his contract expires, if he's performing at his current level (last 3 or 4 matches) consistently next season then I would give him another year at his current wage, not because he's worth it or ever was but because it would be unproductive to offer him anything else. Steven Gerrard is not the player he once was but the idea of approaching him and offering him a pay cut would be outrageous.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He is 29, you're speaking about him like he's as old as Giggs.

When a player turns 30 by start of the season, age becomes a concern when offering new contracts. Come on, No2. This is just common sense stuff. We're talking about contracts worth nearly £6,000,000.00 a year here.

]He will be nearly 31 when his contract expires, if he's performing at his current level (last 3 or 4 matches) consistently next season then I would give him another year at his current wage, not because he's worth it or ever was but because it would be unproductive to offer him anything else.

So you wouldn't do anything this summer? Not contract talks at all? Just pay him another 6m next year in the hope that the last couple of matches 7/10 performances are repeated consistently next year? Yeah, okay. I don't think we're going to agree and I think your position lacks any thought or logic. Certainly business sense.

Steven Gerrard is not the player he once was but the idea of approaching him and offering him a pay cut would be outrageous.

You mean Steven Gerrard who has scored 10 goals and assisted 9 from the DM spot? What are you going on about. You had the temerity to talk about stupid examples?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

When a player turns 30 by start of the season, age becomes a concern when offering new contracts. Come on, No2. This is just common sense stuff. We're talking about contracts worth nearly £6,000,000.00 a year here.

Which is why I said offer him another year if he preforms well next season.

So you wouldn't do anything this summer? Not contract talks at all? Just pay him another 6m next year in the hope that the last couple of matches 7/10 performances are repeated consistently next year? Yeah, okay. I don't think we're going to agree and I think your position lacks any thought or logic. Certainly business sense. 

I've already said I wouldn't offer him anything now, I'd sell before I'd extend but my preference would be to let it run and see where we are in a years time. If he's not happy with that and wants out then I'm fine with that too.

BTW Are you suggesting we try and renegotiate now and reduce the wages on his current contract?

You mean Steven Gerrard who has scored 10 goals and assisted 9 from the DM spot? What are you going on about. You had the temerity to talk about stupid examples? 

Are you new to watching football? You think Steven Gerrard is as good as he was in 2005? How about 2006 or even 2009? You honestly believe that?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

'something you didn't say'

'something else you didn't say'

'you honestly believe those things you didn't say, that I made up'

'well, you must be fucking stupid and only have just started watching football'

To see you try to be condescending with imaginary nonsense is a bit cringeworthy. I'm out.

'something you didn't say'

'something else you didn't say'

'you honestly believe those things you didn't say, that I made up'

'well, you must be fucking stupid and only have just started watching football'

To see you try to be condescending with imaginary nonsense is a bit cringeworthy. I'm out.

I'd rather you stay a little bit longer and answer the last question about Gerrard and in particular the mong suggestion that we motivate our rightback by offering him a pay deduction on his current contract.