You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Oh, I think it was Nike that paid the £12m, not Phil, at least mostly. My point was that it was an "over-and-above" thing that had to come from the player/his reps/his sponsors thing on top of the deal that was agreed with Barcelona.

And that the reason for it was that we needed the extra money to go and get Keita early. I guess we'll see soon enough but if we bring in Keita next week for an additional £15m on top of what we already agreed then I think it's safe to say that money essentially came from the Coutinho deal on top of what we had already told Barca we wanted.

It's absolute waffle. What changed between August and January? Fuck all.

I think Klopp is probably in the best place to judge. We can only guess. Are you saying Klopp is telling fibs, or that the owners sold him from under him or what?

I’m glad he said that we can reinvest the 142 and more. That’s what we need to kick on. I have great faith in Klopp. I think he is the factor that will make the difference over the next few years. As long as he gets the players he wants.

• Upvote 1

I think Klopp is probably in the best place to judge. We can only guess. Are you saying Klopp is telling fibs, or that the owners sold him from under him or what?

I’m glad he said that we can reinvest the 142 and more. That’s what we need to kick on. I have great faith in Klopp. I think he is the factor that will make the difference over the next few years. As long as he gets the players he wants.

I'm saying it's a load of waffle.  I don't want to hear it and think he should straight bat questions about Coutinho, the same way he did before he was sold, instead of spouting a load of nonsense.  We sold him because he might "miss a ball"?  Okay.

What are you missing here? He's a world class player. That much we do know. Only people around the club would know what was going on with the his attitude. He went missing in the summer which when you weigh it up was a disgrace. He went missing again before he left. Klopp doesn't do veering. Why would he.

I guess I just disagree with you, Teek. I’m glad it’s over. With the quality Klopp has attracted so far, this team is starting to look like his team, so I’m excited to see who we bring in with the Coutinho money. I think that’s the last I’m going to say about Coutinho. He’s gone, I’m over it.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone really believe that a manager can stop a sale of 140 odd million when he works for an investment company?. Good luck with that.

So people making the case but but but Klopp is instrumental in the Coutinho sale, Coutinho wanted out etc. Are overlooking the investment company decided Coutinho had reached the maximum value as an asset. If Barca had lowballed and offered say 50million he would still be here even if Klopp was unhappy.

It's the same reason why Sturridge and Markovic and maybe Moreno are here because FSG decide their value hasn't been met. This is what I mean by it's a business decision not a football one, oh and halfway through the season.

• Upvote 2

What are you missing here? He's a world class player. That much we do know. Only people around the club would know what was going on with the his attitude. He went missing in the summer which when you weigh it up was a disgrace. He went missing again before he left. Klopp doesn't do veering. Why would he.

I'm not missing anything, I just think he's waffling.  Why is he talking about him not being a Premier League class player?  Why would Barca pay £142m for someone like that? It's rambling nonsense, one of those long winded type answers that just go on and on and don't make sense.

Not everything he says is going to be right. 

I'm saying it's a load of waffle. I don't want to hear it and think he should straight bat questions about Coutinho, the same way he did before he was sold, instead of spouting a load of nonsense. We sold him because he might "miss a ball"? Okay.

Might be a load of waffle but I expect more truth from Klopp than any other source related to the club.

I took it as Phil refused to play for us anymore, Klopp wouldn't come out and directly say that though would he? It would just create antagonism between the fans, the club and Phil, nothing to be gained from doing that.

Plus other players would look at Klopp and think he's the type to go spouting off to the media after every backroom conversation or bust up. That's Mourinho behaviour.

I'm not missing anything, I just think he's waffling. Why is he talking about him not being a Premier League class player? Why would Barca pay £142m for someone like that? It's rambling nonsense, one of those long winded type answers that just go on and on and don't make sense.

Not everything he says is going to be right.

Klopp has obviously spoken to Coutinho and decided the position is untenable. He needs players who have their head and their heart in the game, and he couldn’t guarantee Coutinho’s commitment to the cause. If he no longer trusts a player, what do you expect him to do?

I have absolutely no problems with what he’s saying, there. Makes perfect sense mate.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone really believe that a manager can stop a sale of 140 odd million when he works for an investment company?. Good luck with that.

So people making the case but but but Klopp is instrumental in the Coutinho sale, Coutinho wanted out etc. Are overlooking the investment company decided Coutinho had reached the maximum value as an asset. If Barca had lowballed and offered say 50million he would still be here even if Klopp was unhappy.

It's the same reason why Sturridge and Markovic and maybe Moreno are here because FSG decide their value hasn't been met. This is what I mean by it's a business decision not a football one, oh and halfway through the season.

Now THAT is some waffle.

Klopp has obviously spoken to Coutinho and decided the position is untenable. He needs players who have their head and their heart in the game, and he couldn’t guarantee Coutinho’s commitment to the cause. If he no longer trusts a player, what do you expect him to do?

I have absolutely no problems with what he’s saying, there. Makes perfect sense mate.

As I say, I don't see how it differs from the situation in August when the same thing happened but he wasn't sold.  

But it's probably best not to dwell on it.

How difficult is the league right now, btw. The top six is a different standard to previous years. City are just ridiculous.

Yeah it’s a different landscape to even when Rafa was here. I was saying to a mate yesterday that you can finish 6th now and still say that you didn’t have a bad season.

Mad really.

Yeah it’s a different landscape to even when Rafa was here. I was saying to a mate yesterday that you can finish 6th now and still say that you didn’t have a bad season.

Mad really.

Yeah, it’s very difficult to compete. The sheer amounts of money, that once would have bankrupted clubs, and bought clubs, is being thrown around by three or four clubs per window. The way City spend consistently is incredible. We’ve spend a lot lately too, in pure outgoings.

I think developing players is vital to getting an upper hand now on. If we could add a quality keeper and striker from youth sides, it could save us 150m. That frees up money to use elsewhere.

If we could add a quality keeper and striker from youth sides, it could save us 150m. That frees up money to use elsewhere.

Similar to what i said about the van Dijk fee

Yes he was expensive but even if you went out and spent 50ml on a really top class keeper and could get di Vrij in to replace Lovren(do not see him sticking around on the bench) the back 5 would still be cheap by todays standards with Matip,Gomez,TAA,Robertson costing 12ml between them.

I prefer to look at costs as the unit. If you can get a few on the cheap it gives you the resources to splash out elsewhere

I still can take believe how lucky we are to have Klopp. There’s a small interview with Phil Thompson on Sky with him and he talks about coming here and that it never felt right to go anywhere else while he was at Dortmund and then the Liverpool job comes up and he couldn’t say no. He’s up there with Guardiola as one of the top two managers in the world in my opinion. It shows the type of man he is that he’s here rather than at City or another club with infinite resources and the attraction to players that brings.

He talks about players wanting to come here despite other clubs wanting them as well and that’s massively down to him. I liked Rodgers and I felt he was playing the same bad hand well himself but you felt when Suarez left he just didn’t have the thing Klopp has to not let it effect the team. He’s built the team now so that we aren’t relying specifically on any one player and it’s why I’m not as arsed about Coutinho going because I know Klopp will sort it.

We can piss and moan about the decision or the things he’s saying about the decision but from our experience of Klopp the guy just doesn’t make bad decisions at that level. If he’s telling me he felt Coutinho needed to go then he needed to go. There could be any manner of things which have gone on behind the scenes which have made him think that way and I’m happy to not question him on it.

• Upvote 7