You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What makes someone a good actor?

Section_31

Based on something Vlad said on the Stallone thread, I wondered how people judge whether someone is a good actor or not?

For instance, I think Al Pacino has got massive screen presence and I love hs films, but I don't think he's a diverse actor.

But someone like Sean Penn can take on an incredible variety of roles, look, act and move differently when he embodies a part - but is that acting or merely simply doing an impression of someone, is there a difference?

If you can believe they are what they are pretending to be then they are a good actor, Slyvestor Stallone was immense in Rocky and totally believable so therefore he is a good actor. Just because he can't play a Mr Darcy doesn't mean he isn't a good actor in the same way Hugh Grant couldn't play a John Rambo or Rocky Balboa.

There are some people who cross over a bit but not many do totally from one end to the other, it's horses for courses.

Penn is probably the best example of what I consider to be a good actor in that he doesn't have any specific mannerisms that are unique to him. You never get the feeling you're watching a 'Sean Penn performance', rather you are watching a superbly nuanced character in whatever film it is. Day-Lewis can do this too.

I think both Hanks and Cruise are good actors, as is Crowe, but all three bring a particular persona that is very much theirs to all their characters. Whether they intend to or not, and even though that persona has basically been gifted to them by how they are portrayed by the media, you still end up watching 'them' playing the role. Their celebrity status dictates this, and the same is true of both Pitt and Di Caprio who are also both good actors, even though both have made more conscious choices to try and get away from their public persona.

I guess it really comes down to how much of a 'star' you are seen to be in the public eye. Penn and Day-Lewis seem to bring a character actor ethos to every role, even when they play the lead role, because neither have a public perception as movie stars. Guys like Pacino, Nicholson and De Niro used to do this too, but at some point - perhaps thanks to their longevity - their performances have become overshadowed by their public persona.

I think Gary Oldman is quality even in his advert his acting is superb. It doesn't feel like an act. The best actors play diverse roles and are believable. Some actors like de Niro and Pacino they just seem to play themselves they're bigger than the role. Day Lewis is the best though.

Yep, Gary Oldman is very good.

Based on something Vlad said on the Stallone thread, I wondered how people judge whether someone is a good actor or not?

For instance, I think Al Pacino has got massive screen presence and I love hs films, but I don't think he's a diverse actor.

But someone like Sean Penn can take on an incredible variety of roles, look, act and move differently when he embodies a part - but is that acting or merely simply doing an impression of someone, is there a difference?

I agree with you on that, I didn't realise he was actually in Carlito's way till the second time I watched it. Not sure if that translates neccessarily in him being a more memorable actor but definitely more diverse

Some of my favourite actors are limited.

Kevin Costner for example. He can only act one way, yet he has been in some great films and he has been key parts of those films being successful.

I think somebody who can play a wide range of roles well. John Hurt is very good for this reason imo.

This is a very fair and good point.

My biggest criteria is those who you can believe in the role and in particular are very natural and dont appear to be acting.

Natural is the key,not having to over sell your role and letting the audience believe you are actually that character.

The problem comes when the characters and their escapades are just so unrealistic that its never going to happen so you cant really blame the actors too much just the writers.

I agree with you on that, I didn't realise he was actually in Carlito's way till the second time I watched it. Not sure if that translates neccessarily in him being a more memorable actor but definitely more diverse

I took my ex bird the pictures to see Carlito's Way and on the way out she said to me "I thought you said Sean Penn was in it?"

Not sure if that says more about him or her (see my contributions to 'world of a woman' thread) but either way it was an astonishing performance.

Diversity(not the pop act) is a great skill in an actor.Anthony Hopkins and Ben Kingsley stand out as two actors who have played many different types of role and been excellent in most.

There are a lot of excellent character actors who dont get too many leading roles but always give a good performance.

David Strathairn is one of many who only get the recognition they deserve later on in their careers.