You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nokia Lumia 820.

Code

Wireless Charging? Now that would come in very handy. Sounds like a cracker wonder if they patented that could give them the edge over other smart phones? What's windows like on a phone? I mean I have seen it but never had a go of it. Is it smooth and fast. Does it crash ever. How do apps and programmes work? Can you put PC games and files on it Pop cap for instance or Football Manager.

Lumia 829 is a good phone but I'll probably go for the 920 instead. 820 is basically a 'dumbed down' 920, in a good way.

Wireless charging is a nice trick, it's not really wireless though and a bit pointless to me. However they have lots of other features and Nokia maps/drive is the deal breaker for me. Code, if the camera is important to you do get the 920 instead.

Out of all the windows 8 phones coming soon, my top two are both of the Lumias. Both are a very good all rounder phone.

Simon, WP8 is a bit of an unknown quantity at the moment but based on WP7, it's going to be smooth, fast and pleasant. The old Lumia with inferior processor is already as smooth and fast as, if not smoother and faster than the best in the market currently. Apps and games are not great for WP7 but things are looking to pick up for WP8. Of course you can't play pc games on it but mobile version of the games should be easily developed as WP8 is using the same coding as Win8.

What I'm trying to say here is WP8 has a big potential and with Lumia 920 and 820 already turning heads and gaining lots of attention, things will surely pick up.

Lumia 829 is a good phone but I'll probably go for the 920 instead. 820 is basically a 'dumbed down' 920, in a good way.

Wireless charging is a nice trick, it's not really wireless though and a bit pointless to me. However they have lots of other features and Nokia maps/drive is the deal breaker for me. Code, if the camera is important to you do get the 920 instead.

Out of all the windows 8 phones coming soon, my top two are both of the Lumias. Both are a very good all rounder phone.

Simon, WP8 is a bit of an unknown quantity at the moment but based on WP7, it's going to be smooth, fast and pleasant. The old Lumia with inferior processor is already as smooth and fast as, if not smoother and faster than the best in the market currently. Apps and games are not great for WP7 but things are looking to pick up for WP8. Of course you can't play pc games on it but mobile version of the games should be easily developed as WP8 is using the same coding as Win8.

What I'm trying to say here is WP8 has a big potential and with Lumia 920 and 820 already turning heads and gaining lots of attention, things will surely pick up.

I was gonna get the lumia 900 but Microsoft don't do free hence me sticking with android to root.

I'm a bit old school when it comes to phones so thats why I have not really upgraded my phone in ages, they have simply become too big now and thats why I will opt for the 820 instead of the 920, its managable while the 920 is way too big.

I remember the good old days when they tried to make the phones as small as possible with models like Nokia 8210 and 8310, both phones I had obviously.

full_nokia8210.jpg

nokia_8310_1.jpg

I'm a bit old school when it comes to phones so thats why I have not really upgraded my phone in ages, they have simply become too big now and thats why I will opt for the 820 instead of the 920, its managable while the 920 is way too big.

I remember the good old days when they tried to make the phones as small as possible with models like Nokia 8210 and 8310, both phones I had obviously.

Yup one clear advantage 820 has over 920 is the size. If it's up to me no phones will be bigger than 4".

In almost all other aspects 920 is better than 820 (screen display & sensitivity, battery, camera, storage). However since you're old school 820 should be more than enough for you. Take note though battery life in WP7 are terrible, for WP8 it remains to be seen.

Simon what do you mean Microsoft don't do free?

Yup one clear advantage 820 has over 920 is the size. If it's up to me no phones will be bigger than 4".

In almost all other aspects 920 is better than 820 (screen display & sensitivity, battery, camera, storage). However since you're old school 820 should be more than enough for you. Take note though battery life in WP7 are terrible, for WP8 it remains to be seen.

Simon what do you mean Microsoft don't do free?

In terms of cheating them.

Until recently I had a Lumia 800. Good phone, but terrible battery life. I'd check out the battery tests in reviews before committing, because Nokia really needed to sort it out.

Is this not a problem for all smart phones, when we were in London last weekend my mates were running around looking for places to charge their Iphones all the time.

In terms of cheating them.

Yeah no pirated apps for WP7 yet as far as I know.

It was a particular problem on the 800, even by smartphone standards.
So did it last a day or less? I need battery thats for sure.

Yup, my bro had a HD7. The battery was a joke. Only last half a day. Not sure if this will be fixed in WP8, but almost all the announced WP8 phones have big capacity battery so far. Lumia 820 has the smallest capacity if I'm not mistaken but Nokia says it can still last a day for average users (but of course they will say that).

Pretty much all modern smartphones have appalling battery consumption.

Large backlit displays, 3 / 3.5G radio and heavy processing all add up to approx 1 day usage if you're lucky.

In the old days, you could go a full week! (and battery technology has improved!)

The other absolute killer of course, is rogue / badly configured apps, that prevent your phone from going into low power states... the obvious ones are email clients that keep waking up your phone to 'poll' for new mail. Or news apps that 'poll' for new content.

Even push email takes a toll.

In all honesty, people would be better off having a smartphone as a 'PDA' and keep a tiny phone for proper phone usage!. You can't beat an old Nokia or Ericsson in the rain, dropped, and lasting a week on a battery.

p.s I'm on a One X and I'm getting about a day's use with say 30 mins surfing, 30 mins music, 30 mins gaming and some general 'messing with it'. The rest of the time it's in standby.

This is the big problem with smartphones... you charge it up in the morning, and you daren't actually use it if you're out all day. Once you start surfing, or checking football scores, etc, you're worried that it won't last the night for a taxi home. That can't be right.

So did it last a day or less? I need battery thats for sure.

Well less than a day if you happened to spend 45m on the internet. You'd end up with battery critically low messages. There is plenty of stuff on the internet if you Google 'Lumia 800 battery issues.'

I'm using a Galaxy S3 now and I love it. Holds it's charge so much better than the Nokia.

My better half have had both a Sony Experia and a Samsung Galaxy S2, both lost and both paid for by me obviously, but the battery was shite on both from my experience.

But I'll look into it as there is no way I'm going to buy a phone if the battery does not last a day with normal use.

Pretty much all modern smartphones have appalling battery consumption.

Large backlit displays, 3 / 3.5G radio and heavy processing all add up to approx 1 day usage if you're lucky.

In the old days, you could go a full week! (and battery technology has improved!)

The other absolute killer of course, is rogue / badly configured apps, that prevent your phone from going into low power states... the obvious ones are email clients that keep waking up your phone to 'poll' for new mail. Or news apps that 'poll' for new content.

Even push email takes a toll.

In all honesty, people would be better off having a smartphone as a 'PDA' and keep a tiny phone for proper phone usage!. You can't beat an old Nokia or Ericsson in the rain, dropped, and lasting a week on a battery.

p.s I'm on a One X and I'm getting about a day's use with say 30 mins surfing, 30 mins music, 30 mins gaming and some general 'messing with it'. The rest of the time it's in standby.

This is the big problem with smartphones... you charge it up in the morning, and you daren't actually use it if you're out all day. Once you start surfing, or checking football scores, etc, you're worried that it won't last the night for a taxi home. That can't be right.

Beofre I got the iPhone I used to carry a spare BlackBerry battery in my trouser/jeans pocket ready charged.

Sadly this isn't an option any more.

• 2 months later...

I'm actually waiting for this phone to get released still, that cant be a good thing can it.

The 920 came a while a go, but the 820 is yet to be released in Norway at least.

It feels like Apple will have released two Iphones from I first read about it until it gets out in the shops.

Wahaay went to a shop today and they had got one there, but the guy in the shop did not know how to sell it to me since I was going to have it through our company, both the phone and the use.

I will have to go back tomorrow when his boss is there, I think I will manage.

Stick your 800 where the sun dont shine Robbie, 820 is the way forward.