You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New manager, new expectations.

Code

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good reply' date=' agree with some and not all, but still repped.

I read that Rafa thread and I think Rafa had a few clever digs at Rodgers in there, I might be the only one to have noticed this though.[/quote']

I dont normally post, but I am a long time lurker, reason I don't post is because a lot has been covered previously and i dont like to repeat what other people have said, but fuck me I feel compelled to reply as Code you are a serious head fuck. You talk utter shite day in day out. Yes we get it, you don't like Rodgers, but your views would make a lot more sense if you didn't let your obvious hatred of him cloud your judgement and come across like some jilted lover who has just walked in on your mrs been arse fucked by some other bloke. Your love of Dalglish is understandable, we all love him to bits and always will. However last season was a disaster and not acceptable. Yeah we had success in the cups but some of the performances in league were an absolute joke.

At times it looked like we had no plan what so ever and we had a manager, either afraid to change things, or didn't know how to change things when games were so obviously running away from us. Dalglish was great in his first stint, but that was before the media hyperbole that football is now, and before tactics became so important in the game. He just couldn't adapt to the modern game.

Kenny coming in after Hodgson in a caretaker role was perfect and worked a treat, but it should of been left at that. The point your missing is we as fans, myself included, demanded he was given the role full time, but this was on the back of a wave of emotion that our King was back and we would return to our former glories on romance alone. A good Hollywood blockbuster no doubt, but the nagging feelings behind the romance came to fruition after Xmas last year. We had a manager out of touch with the demands of the modern game, unable to take a step back from the emotion. All this after spunking our biggest war chest in a generation. It is not Rodgers fault that he is now paying the price for us spunking near on a 100 million up the wall. FSG never planned to give the job full time but could you imagine the uproar if they hadn't? Our romantic story never unfolded deal with it.

The reality is our club has been run shite for years, FSG are doing the right thing by clearing the decks, getting our wage bill down, before building from a stronger position. The amount of millions we have wasted is a disgrace. Joe Cole is the perfect example of this. Business men, especially successful business men, don't make the same mistake twice. Rodgers has been dealt a tough hand and is having to make do with what we have until we get some sort of order in our wage bill. We have wasted literally millions on players that have contributed the square root of fuck all and unfortunately some of the blame is at Kenny's door. Judge Rodgers once he gets the sort of backing previous mangers have had, not now 3 months into his first season.

As for your hatred of Rafa, have you ever thought your displeasure of our current predicament is born from the fact that Rafa gave us a little taste of the promised land?? Who are you judging Rodgers against Rafa or Kenny?

This forum used to be a good read, but it's a sad state of affairs that one of the best posters is a fucking city fan.

The first half of last season was great, but why not compare it with the second half of last season? I know, because it was shit and doesn't look so bad.

Winning isn't everything, I'd rather we built a system whereby we could win more games over a longer period. If the short term issue is that we don't win as many games as some blood and thunder wankers like West Brom, I don't mind that. We're looking at laying something successful down for 10 years or more, not living from season to season. Installing a philosophy and style of playing and recruitment, whereby we future-proof the club and make it not only competitive but also not in need of constant big money signings and contracts.

Look at Newcastles great season last season, and where are they now? Short termism. Some decent players putting in good shifts, but once the players can't be arsed, or lapse into a comfort zone, there's nothing else that can be done except talk about buying new players.

Possession football, that's the lesson we're in now, and it's starting to stick. Once the possession football is second nature then the players will be able to interpret their roles better and start to bend the system in ways that enable us to be more flexible and win more games. But the philosophy is to keep the ball, rest with the ball, change tempos, dictate the game, control the game, you can't control a game without the ball. We're not brilliant at it yet but we will get there, and it'll take more than four months.

I dont care if you don't get it, or don't want to get it.

BR's great plan isn't some kind of Holy Grail or *The Secret* that we and we alone are privy to (even if BR is making the players frigging meditate like a bunch of hippies as part of their so called 'training'), no, every club and its mascot is out to master possession football, manage flexibility, keep the ball, rest with the ball, change tempos, dictate the game & control the game. It isn't fuckin rocket science, and some teams will get it quicker and more effectively than other teams. Results speak for themselves in a results business.

Sure, we'll put up with mediocrity for a while, on the road to glory, waiting for things to gel, but the gnawing doubt here, rippling under the surface of every fan's emotions, is that the long term plan for us, is to walk an infinite uphill road made of smelly shite, to arrive at nowhere.

I dont normally post, but I am a long time lurker, reason I don't post is because a lot has been covered previously and i dont like to repeat what other people have said, but fuck me I feel compelled to reply as Code you are a serious head fuck. You talk utter shite day in day out. Yes we get it, you don't like Rodgers, but your views would make a lot more sense if you didn't let your obvious hatred of him cloud your judgement and come across like some jilted lover who has just walked in on your mrs been arse fucked by some other bloke. Your love of Dalglish is understandable, we all love him to bits and always will. However last season was a disaster and not acceptable. Yeah we had success in the cups but some of the performances in league were an absolute joke.

At times it looked like we had no plan what so ever and we had a manager, either afraid to change things, or didn't know how to change things when games were so obviously running away from us. Dalglish was great in his first stint, but that was before the media hyperbole that football is now, and before tactics became so important in the game. He just couldn't adapt to the modern game.

Kenny coming in after Hodgson in a caretaker role was perfect and worked a treat, but it should of been left at that. The point your missing is we as fans, myself included, demanded he was given the role full time, but this was on the back of a wave of emotion that our King was back and we would return to our former glories on romance alone. A good Hollywood blockbuster no doubt, but the nagging feelings behind the romance came to fruition after Xmas last year. We had a manager out of touch with the demands of the modern game, unable to take a step back from the emotion. All this after spunking our biggest war chest in a generation. It is not Rodgers fault that he is now paying the price for us spunking near on a 100 million up the wall. FSG never planned to give the job full time but could you imagine the uproar if they hadn't? Our romantic story never unfolded deal with it.

The reality is our club has been run shite for years, FSG are doing the right thing by clearing the decks, getting our wage bill down, before building from a stronger position. The amount of millions we have wasted is a disgrace. Joe Cole is the perfect example of this. Business men, especially successful business men, don't make the same mistake twice. Rodgers has been dealt a tough hand and is having to make do with what we have until we get some sort of order in our wage bill. We have wasted literally millions on players that have contributed the square root of fuck all and unfortunately some of the blame is at Kenny's door. Judge Rodgers once he gets the sort of backing previous mangers have had, not now 3 months into his first season.

As for your hatred of Rafa, have you ever thought your displeasure of our current predicament is born from the fact that Rafa gave us a little taste of the promised land?? Who are you judging Rodgers against Rafa or Kenny?

This forum used to be a good read, but it's a sad state of affairs that one of the best posters is a fucking city fan.

It's all relative, and last season could easily look rosy compared to the foundations being prepared right now.

well we still have an emotional man in charge who only has a plan A and doesnt change games with his subs or tactics and who talks in an unmodern manner.

I doubt we will get the cups. Is getting 4th and hanging Suarez out the dry stillvthe minimum requirement?

Yet he has preached his 4-3-3 since he came, but realised in the derby we were getting overrun, so changed to 3-5-2 at half time. Did that not change the course of the game? A game we would of won if the linesman didn't shit himself? Is that not a sign of his willingness to change in the face of the glaring obvious??

I'm judging Hodgers against Roy as it would be insulting to compare him with anyone else.

Guest San Don

Makes me smile these people claiming rodgers can 'change a game' while Dalglish could not.

That would be the same rodgers who said he doesnt need a plan b since he believes in his plan a and if plan a isnt working, it's because the players arent making it work?

Oh, except he did change against the shite. Im not knocking rodgers but he really should be more guarded in what he preaches.

It's all relative, and last season could easily look rosy compared to the foundations being prepared right now.

£100+ million spent in 9 months with the majority of it on shit, 8th in the league and a league cup. We'd have to be relegated to make last season look rosy in my eyes.

Rodgers warns of battle to keep Suárez

Tony Barrett, Rory Smith

The headlines have already started and we are only just in November, people keep talking about transition, how long do you think that transition will take if you end up selling your star players year after year.

Rodgers needs to start getting results and back to back wins sooner rather than later because an exodus of players will make this season the norm.

If you're the Liverpool manager and you have 11 points from the first 10 games of the season , it won't make any difference who the fuck you are or how long you've been in the job , your competence is going to come under question . If as in Rodgers case he has little or no achievements to point to , then I find it perfectly acceptable if people are worried . I know I am . Here's a question for all the be patient people , when do you expect us to reach the magical 40 point mark , that being the normally accepted safe cut off point . On current form I see it being reached in April , again unless the goalposts have been changed , that's totally unacceptable.

I get the point that he hasn't got anything in his cabinet that we can point at that will give us some solace and put us at ease. Hiring Rodgers was a massive gamble but he cannot be judged yet.

The squad has been decimated, rightly in my eyes, because of the millions been spent on wages for players who contribute nothing. It needed culling and there are still high earners on the books contributing very little, Carragher, Cole, Downing, etc. That isn't Rodgers fault. FSG sanctioned a war chest for Kenny which didn't work out, do you really think they would allow something like that to happen again? No they are going to build slowly and gradually.

After Chelsea the run of games should start seeing us pick up wins, after Jan we should see some attacking talent compliment Rodgers philosophy. A philosophy that needs good players for it to work.

If after all this we are still sat looking at the same points return per game, then is the time to start looking at the situation.

I'm judging Hodgers against Roy as it would be insulting to compare him with anyone else.

Pathetic Code, you really are clueless. Hodgson was 37 years into his management career and achieved the square root of fuck all meaningful. He annoyed the fans and his tactics were stuck in the 70's. I really think deep down your comparing him to Rafa.

I get the point that he hasn't got anything in his cabinet that we can point at that will give us some solace and put us at ease. Hiring Rodgers was a massive gamble but he cannot be judged yet.

The squad has been decimated, rightly in my eyes, because of the millions been spent on wages for players who contribute nothing. It needed culling and there are still high earners on the books contributing very little, Carragher, Cole, Downing, etc. That isn't Rodgers fault. FSG sanctioned a war chest for Kenny which didn't work out, do you really think they would allow something like that to happen again? No they are going to build slowly and gradually.

After Chelsea the run of games should start seeing us pick up wins, after Jan we should see some attacking talent compliment Rodgers philosophy. A philosophy that needs good players for it to work.

If after all this we are still sat looking at the same points return per game, then is the time to start looking at the situation.

Maybe instead of FSG/Rodgers getting rid of the likes of Kuyt and Maxi they could have shifted Downing and Henderson who were both known not to be fancied by the manager before the window closed.

They got rid of players who actually contributed and kept ones that didn't because it would have cost more shifting the likes of Downing etc.

I'm baffled by who you think we will beat in the run of games after Chelsea when we can't even get past the mighty Stoke and Swansea at home.

So Rodgers needs good players for his philosophy to work, isn't that true of any managers 'philosophy'.

It's a fucking atrocious start to the season and he should be grateful he is still in a job, and I put that at the owners door aswel the fucking gang of clueless idiots, 101 ways to devalue your asset. Hire a even bigger gang if idiots to run your asset who won't pull your incompetence to pieces because they feel lucky to be in their position.

Maybe instead of FSG/Rodgers getting rid of the likes of Kuyt and Maxi they could have shifted Downing and Henderson who were both known not to be fancied by the manager before the window closed.

They got rid of players who actually contributed and kept ones that didn't because it would have cost more shifting the likes of Downing etc.

I'm baffled by who you think we will beat in the run of games after Chelsea when we can't even get past the mighty Stoke and Swansea at home.

So Rodgers needs good players for his philosophy to work' date=' isn't that true of any managers 'philosophy'.

It's a fucking atrocious start to the season and he should be grateful he is still in a job, and I put that at the owners door aswel the fucking gang of clueless idiots, 101 ways to devalue your asset. Hire a even bigger gang if idiots to run your asset who won't pull your incompetence to pieces because they feel lucky to be in their position.[/quote']

Any managers tactics would work better with better quality players, but one based on passing and the technical side of the game, even more so.

However tactics such as what Pullis and Fat Sam deploy can work to a successful level with shite players. There tactics are based on percentages and the less technical side of the game. Hit and hope passes, set pieces, roughing up the opposition etc are far less demanding on a players technical ability.

I not in anyway 100% behind Rodgers, my choice in the summer would of been Rafa, but I do think there are promising signs for the future.

Who the manager is becomes immaterial when all our rivals are making multiple £20/£30 million signings every summer (from a position of strength) and the club are making noises of "we'll spend £20 million on a player again when we're in the top 4"....if FFP isn't introduced and properly implemented, and FSG stick around, we'll just have to get used to more seasons like this one.

Yea in no way could they have been convinced to stay instead of having 2 £20 million signings on the bench every week,

First of all... Who are the two 20m signings?

Second... Maxi is fucking done as a footballer. I wish people would stop bringing him up. Only watching Joe Cole labour after a few minutes hurts me more than seeing Maxi totally fucked after about 30 minutes of football.

Third... Kuyt's deal was DONE when Rodgers arrived.

Guest San Don

So Rodgers needs good players for his philosophy to work, isn't that true of any managers 'philosophy'.

It's a fucking atrocious start to the season and he should be grateful he is still in a job, and I put that at the owners door aswel the fucking gang of clueless idiots, 101 ways to devalue your asset. Hire a even bigger gang if idiots to run your asset who won't pull your incompetence to pieces because they feel lucky to be in their position.

Bit harsh but at the same time, pretty much on the money.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Yea in no way could they have been convinced to stay instead of having 2 £20 million signings on the bench every week,

It's hard to convince somebody to stay when they've moved clubs. It's also hard to move players like Downing when nobody wants them or wants to pay their wages.

I suspect that KK needed good players too.

I do not see the fixtures after Chelsea as being easy, more of a litmus test of where we are.

The January window is likely to be awkward. I see no big net spend. I do think that Rodgers will have to take a punt on some Swansea style purchases. Whether they come off ot not will determine if he is here next season.