You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leaving aside the hilarity of whether the itk is actually an itk or just another Walter Mitty, the thing I would find most bizarre about this isn't even whether or not Ancelotti would take the job.

It's the fact that of the two managers that are most often talked about as being at the top of fans wishlists, one of them is known for developing a competitive side in a league where he was never able to spend the kind of money that the top side were and habitually lost his best players to other teams, whilst the other has an undoubtedly fantastic record but has achieved his success in the main at clubs where he had very significant financial backing and was able to attract top-class players being paid top-class wages.

One of those men seems far more suited to the requirements of the Liverpool manager's job within the context of the PL today and it's not the Italian.

• Upvote 6

The latest from him.

Are we finally getting our man Curbishly.

Hi All,

Interesting times ahead..

I believe that there have been talks with one manager who is on a sabbatical, early stages i know, and it isn't Klopp, watch this space

Cheers

Macca

Then when it doesn't come off he ignores all his minions in Twitter asking why it never happens. He then deletes his account for six months then starts it up again and puts out more bullshit to get more followers. Not him especially but most alleged ITK's

I think that hugely underplays Ancelotti's tactical ability.

Wasn't supposed to be a slight on him in any way, although with hindsight I can see how it could come across like that.

He's obviously one of the best managers working in world football.  Milan are the only team I really keep an eye on other than us and what he did there was fantastic, not least in being the man who looked at Pirlo and decided he might do OK in a deep-lying midfield role.  I have no doubts whatsoever about his tactical acumen, other than the fact his side did shit the bed once in a cup final...

I just meant that he is used to managing at clubs with a certain amount of draw and a willingness to pay top whack wages to get the right players in for him.  I think he would get the best out of his squad pretty much anywhere but frankly, I don't have much confidence that the best our current squad could deliver would be good enough anyway, at which point we're into transfers and that hasn't been our finest hour recently.  There's no point in getting an F1 technician in to service a 14 year old Toyota Corolla.

I do wonder how much he'd be interested taking into account the scale of the job. He doesn't strike me as someone that will be managing in his late 60s, and therefore everything from now on will be a bit "winding down". 

He wouldn't necessarily kick off, doesn't appear to be his style, but I'd imagine he'd detest our current owners.

I think whilst our squad is very unbalanced, generally too inexperienced, and too soft, we could still be doing considerably better now with a manager that picked a formation to suit the squad, played players in their correct position, set up a defence properly, picked forwards to suit the style of football we're trying to play, etc, etc. Simple stuff.

The changes we need to make in the transfer market don't appear to be likely to happen. Stop buying children. Stop buying players that don't suit however we're going to play. Stop buying 7/8 players every summer. Stop loaning out players that we need to make a proper decision on.

Nah, not sure Ancelotti could be arsed with this shit. Couple of years back at Roma or Milan followed by 30 years drinking wine in Tuscany.

• Upvote 3

Why are these ITKs always afraid to 'name names'? It's all a bit attention seeking isn't it?

'I'm led to believe we've been in talks with an arsenal player whose name sounds like a county of England, but that's all I can say right now in case it scuppers the deal'.

Fuck off.

If Liverpool didn't exist these people would be blogging about Roswell.

• Upvote 6

I do wonder how much he'd be interested taking into account the scale of the job. He doesn't strike me as someone that will be managing in his late 60s, and therefore everything from now on will be a bit "winding down". 

He wouldn't necessarily kick off, doesn't appear to be his style, but I'd imagine he'd detest our current owners.

I think whilst our squad is very unbalanced, generally too inexperienced, and too soft, we could still be doing considerably better now with a manager that picked a formation to suit the squad, played players in their correct position, set up a defence properly, picked forwards to suit the style of football we're trying to play, etc, etc. Simple stuff.

The changes we need to make in the transfer market don't appear to be likely to happen. Stop buying children. Stop buying players that don't suit however we're going to play. Stop buying 7/8 players every summer. Stop loaning out players that we need to make a proper decision on.

Nah, not sure Ancelotti could be arsed with this shit. Couple of years back at Roma or Milan followed by 30 years drinking wine in Tuscany.

Fully agree with highlighted bits and said the same many times . Rodgers teams are always less than the sum of their parts, Hope Ancelotti sees the potential .

Very long shot but we deserve a break

Leaving aside the hilarity of whether the itk is actually an itk or just another Walter Mitty, the thing I would find most bizarre about this isn't even whether or not Ancelotti would take the job.

It's the fact that of the two managers that are most often talked about as being at the top of fans wishlists, one of them is known for developing a competitive side in a league where he was never able to spend the kind of money that the top side were and habitually lost his best players to other teams, whilst the other has an undoubtedly fantastic record but has achieved his success in the main at clubs where he had very significant financial backing and was able to attract top-class players being paid top-class wages.

One of those men seems far more suited to the requirements of the Liverpool manager's job within the context of the PL today and it's not the Italian.

Would Klopp want to work with such constraints again? I'm not so sure given he will most likely have better offers on the table than FSG's clusterfuck.

Why are these ITKs always afraid to 'name names'? It's all a bit attention seeking isn't it?

'I'm led to believe we've been in talks with an arsenal player whose name sounds like a county of England, but that's all I can say right now in case it scuppers the deal'.

Fuck off.

If Liverpool didn't exist these people would be blogging about Roswell.

They wander round communicating to each other in riddles.

I have no idea whether this has an ounce of truth in it but Ancelotti is absolutely the type of manager we should be going for.

He's one of the top 5 managers in the world, in my opinion, so if there is even the smallest chance we could get him then we should move heaven & earth to make it happen

He would improve us in every aspect of the game

• Upvote 1

Would Klopp want to work with such constraints again? I'm not so sure given he will most likely have better offers on the table than FSG's clusterfuck.

Good question.  He will definitely have bigger offers in the summer but if things carry on the way they are (and we have some dodgy games coming up) I can't see Rodgers still being here at Christmas.  He strikes me as someone who will wait for the right opportunity though so that probably doesn't help us anyway.  Perhaps he's a total masochist and would love the chance to work with a bang average squad and a transfer committee populated by morons, who knows?

No it isn't likely is it?  Damn.

When they sack Rodgers surely it means their abortion of a project is over right.

They wanted to implement a transfer policy and buy fewer players, 30 odd players later with many of those purchases rarely kicking a ball or the majority performing lesser than at previous clubs. Even they can't be so pig headed to follow the same road to ruin.

One of the main reasons it has failed is because of Rodgers inexperience

Why would they do the same thing again, do they like setting fire to money?

I don't trust the owners at all but even they can't be happy with the numerous players sent out on loan or players locked in basement as the manager changes ideas every other day.

As for Ancelotti we are the 7th biggest spenders in football and he has managed half of the ones above us. Apart from Bayern or Manchester City where else can he go. After Guardiola, a few reports suggest Bayern will go German again leaving the Manchester City job which some say is reserved for Guardiola.

Surely the owners would give Ancelotti a man who has coached in 4 countries with great success more than the former Playoff winner.

I also think Ancelotti's ability to work with tyrants like Berlusconi who walks into the changing room and offers tactics and Abramovic at Chelsea would appeal to the owners. After Berlusconi, dealing with some nobhead baseball men would be a walk in the park.

It's also worth remembering Ancelotti worked his way up got promoted then had a pretty exceptional season with Parma before he got the two big jobs at Juventus and Milan. He did what Rodgers did by 1998.

I don't think we will get Ancelotti but more as we would go about it in a clumsy manner. We should be asking Kenny to meet up with him and make him an offer he can't refuse. Let Kenny do the bidding not Mike Williams.

• Upvote 3