You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

On 10/10/2023 at 07:41, GR10 LFC said:

Thanks - not sure I could have maintained that pace for another 10 miles on Sunday but well on track for sub 4 hours, which I would happily take!

Focus is now on my running streak - I have ran a minimum of 5km per day since 18th January 2021 and I am due to hit day 1000 this coming Saturday.  

Nice one...i think you saod before about this streak and had a plan for when you were gonna hit it at a parkrun....some feat.

On 25/09/2023 at 19:01, sir roger said:

Brother in Law ran the Berlin marathon yesterday, where the Ethiopian girl obliterated the womens world record by two and a half minutes after only graduating from 800 metres last year.

My immediate reaction is that it is very fishy and my thoughts turn to drugs, but my BIL reckons these new bouncy trainies can make a massive difference, and given Berlin is a very fast, flat marathon he is giving her the benefit of the doubt.

What do the runners on here think ?

The shoes are deffo a big factor - they even help ordinary runners - they help you run better for longer - maximising how long can hold good form for, offering better energy return, helping keep legs fresher longer and therefore helping hold that better form longer and ultimately post better times.

The girl who won in berlin was in a new adidas shoe and the feller winning big marathon in america just this last weekend was in a new nike prototype....both posting new time standards.

The technology in these carbon plated/rods shoes and their extremely light weight are helping people post these improved times.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/67062551

• Upvote 1

10 mile race today - previous race PB over distance was 1:16:44 set on 4th June.

Today ran 1:11:06....so over 5 mins lobbed off PB.

Made up with that.

Could have got a faster time too - but got to start line a bit later than should have - start very, very narrow and spent first couple of miles or so weaving around 'traffic' - but happy with overall run....think could have gone 1:10:00 though, but no sweat....next time.

Screenshot-20231015-124626-Connect.jpg

• Upvote 7

Managed to complete my 1000 day streak last Saturday! The family made a bit of a fuss, along with my local running group! 
Started on 18th January 2021 - ran a minimum of 5K per day, a total I have clocked up 8,423km (5,233 miles). 
The streak is continuing - I have no intention to try and match this in the future so gonna clock up as high as I can get!
387865546_10162553396102573_100853282151

• Upvote 13

11 hours ago, GR10 LFC said:

Managed to complete my 1000 day streak last Saturday! The family made a bit of a fuss, along with my local running group! 
Started on 18th January 2021 - ran a minimum of 5K per day, a total I have clocked up 8,423km (5,233 miles). 
The streak is continuing - I have no intention to try and match this in the future so gonna clock up as high as I can get!
387865546_10162553396102573_100853282151

Great work....keep going, lad.

• 1 month later...

Been putting in the work - banging the miles out - doing cross country runs (fuck me they are a different beast) and just trying to get better.

Ran a half today in milton keynes - cracking race 2,095 entrants - managed to finish 254th.

1:34:32 - half marathon race PB by over 3 mins.

Made up.

Screenshot-20231210-123615-Final-Surge.j

• Upvote 5

• 1 month later...

13 weeks to Manc Marathon.

Been ticking over nicely and no letting up over Christmas and that - but now it gets serious...Hard training in the shittest months of the year....Long runs in the cold, the wet etc.

Kept the miles high in Nov and Dec...128 in Nov, 148 in Dec and up to 56 already in Jan.

Got a 30 mile 'ultra' next Sun, but it is not a race it is done slowly and due to terrain some of it has to be walked, but is a good time on feet test - fellers doing it with say looking at around 6 hours so slow and steady but gruelling. Bit apprehensive to be honest, never been that far or spent that long moving!

Completed 3 years of my running streak today. Well chuffed and still can’t believe I have managed to maintain this every day! Weather the last couple of days has been a challenge but still managed to get out. Got my very first marathon (Manchester) in April and I’m hoping I can still keep the streak going during my training

• Upvote 5

On 17/01/2024 at 22:06, GR10 LFC said:

Completed 3 years of my running streak today. Well chuffed and still can’t believe I have managed to maintain this every day! Weather the last couple of days has been a challenge but still managed to get out. Got my very first marathon (Manchester) in April and I’m hoping I can still keep the streak going during my training

Nice work - really is some run that.

I'm doing manc marathon in april as well.

Your streak may need to come to an end in marathon training IMO...

You need rest days - rest and recovery days are a big part of marathon training especially as you get into your longest long runs and the taper.

A 20 mile long run towards end of training block really needs a rest day the next day.....you don't want heavy legs on raceday because you haven't given self enough rest and recovery time.

Rest and recovery in marathon prep is a critical part of maximising performance.

Yeah. A few people have said that. I’ve done upto 18 miles in the past without feeling too bad the day after etc. 

Decision to be made in the next couple of weeks - I was hoping to get to 1st April as that’s my Forest Gump day (in the movie he ran for 3 years, 2 months and 14 days)!

Main focus is just completing the distance - my first (and probably only) marathon, although I have got my eye on around 4 hours. Will be running for Marina Dalglish Appeal as one of our closest friends is just going through her recovery from breast cancer and they also donated to Broadgreen urology department for a robot that was used on my dad a few years back. 

6 hours ago, GR10 LFC said:

Yeah. A few people have said that. I’ve done upto 18 miles in the past without feeling too bad the day after etc. 

Decision to be made in the next couple of weeks - I was hoping to get to 1st April as that’s my Forest Gump day (in the movie he ran for 3 years, 2 months and 14 days)!

Main focus is just completing the distance - my first (and probably only) marathon, although I have got my eye on around 4 hours. Will be running for Marina Dalglish Appeal as one of our closest friends is just going through her recovery from breast cancer and they also donated to Broadgreen urology department for a robot that was used on my dad a few years back. 

Trust me - rest is needed and especially if want to run as well as can on big day!

Good luck!

Always happy to discuss training and that here...

Did 31 and a bit miles 'ultra' today.

Took 6 hrs as so much of it was just not runnable - had to go through loads of gates and over those is it stiles they call them where climb over onto a ledge and down...?

It was mainly through woodlands and fields - did over 2,500 feet of climbing.

Some really, really boggy bits and some parts where running was just not an option and as it was an unmarked, self guided route (via wrritten instructions you had to follow) had to have a few stops along way to work out where going.

Plus there were checkpoints you had to get scanned in at we were at one for over 10 mins as a queue and then getting bottles filled etc.

My feet are trashed - got a blister on one toe that looks like Rudolph's nose and sore feet all over - i ran in innov8 mudclaws which were great for the muddy bits of which there were many as so much was woodland and fields - but they are not a cushioned shoe and on the road parts in last 7 miles or so it was hurting - could feel lugs and just not soft enough. They just aren't a great shoe for 6 hr jobs.

But all in all, enjoyed it, massive learning curve and got a lot out of it.....felt ok most of way, but constantly going through gates etc was a pain at times and the technical parts and the walking was at times harder than the running - but had to do that at times as it was what was required and that was with a man who does ultras for fun has done the 268 mile spine sunmer race and 100 mile jobs many times - he said it is all part of how these sort of things are.

Think we scraped a top 20 finish out of around 200.

Glad i did it.....I think.

• Upvote 2

Getting back to running after piling on the weight and being a lazy fuck.

Starting back with 5ks, 3x a week and 9:30 miles pace. Its grueling and slightly depressing when I used to run much faster, with less suffering. But it is what it is, I have to get through the start to get the habit back.

10 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Starting back with 5ks, 3x a week and 9:30 miles pace. Its grueling and slightly depressing when I used to run much faster, with less suffering. But it is what it is, I have to get through the start to get the habit back.

It'll come.

I was doing couch to 5k a little more than 3 years or so ago and shitting myself at thought of running for 10 mins without a stop.....

Stay consistent - keep plugging away and you'll improve bit by bit! Don't try for too much too soon though - if it feels too much now then dial it back a bit and build up a touch more steadily - week by week.

22 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Rick, that's the start of my week this week word for word. 

Started to up the mileage after struggling to train over Christmas but my calves have tightened again so just tried to get out and do a small 4.5 mile but stopped straight away as they didn’t feel right. Bit of a shitter really as my legs have felt good recently having had a few issues for a few years. Gonna book some acupuncture and a massage over the weekend and have to up the strength training. 12 weeks on Sunday until the London marathon. 

IMG_7230.png

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Went out for a long run on Saturday morning with no real route in mind. Ended up heading towards the footy grounds and then decided to look at the new pit at BMD. From there headed along the waterfront. Never done a 30k before so realised I would be on track for that as I headed home and then added a bit extra to get me over the 20 mile mark! 32.25km - so just over the 20 miles - was made up with that - 3:05 hours
screenshot-2024-02-14-094108.png

12 hours ago, GR10 LFC said:

Went out for a long run on Saturday morning with no real route in mind. Ended up heading towards the footy grounds and then decided to look at the new pit at BMD. From there headed along the waterfront. Never done a 30k before so realised I would be on track for that as I headed home and then added a bit extra to get me over the 20 mile mark! 32.25km - so just over the 20 miles - was made up with that - 3:05 hours
screenshot-2024-02-14-094108.png

Nice work.

Change of plan for me - had to cancel manc marathon as will clash with a game and taking the lad (otherwise would have swerved game, but he only gets to go a couple of times or so a year)....Now doing Milton Keynes marathon instead in early May.

Should be in decent shape hopefully - already done over 200 miles this year.

146.2 in Jan

65.8 so far in Feb

Be time to start to ramp it up in March/April before tapering end of April.

• 1 month later...

Inspired by champ posting about her lad doing london (go and donate if haven't!) I thought i would update this thread.

6 weeks to go now to my marathon - training is going dead on at present...

Got a 20 mile race on Sunday which i am using as a training run but one to see what sort of time i might be able to aim for.

I have in my head an idea i might be able to go under 3:20 for marathon but we'll see.

Racking the miles up and getting in loads of tempo and threshold work and feeling good.

Ended up with 153.6 miles in Feb

Already on 125.4 this month....will be tapering in about 3-4 weeks but these next 3-4 weeks are big ones.

Sunday will give me a good guide as to where i am - the distance is no sweat - i did 18 miles last sunday, but i will be pushing a bit harder and want to see where i am at. 

• Upvote 3