You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When Fernando Torres wasn't shit

Antynwa

Been watching some videos on Youtube and this show on EPSN.

Take away he's a back stabbing shithouse who will probably not score another goal again in his career.

Just how good was he? I was watching his goal v Blackburn that turn and volley. Absolutely fantastic, it still hurts a bit considering how he left. But when he was good, he was absolutely terrific, pace technique and an excellent all round player.

I have no clue what has made him the player he is today. Injuries, greed and generally losing the qualities which made him the player he once was.

Either way it's sad for him he'll never be considered a Liverpool legend, because he really had it all. His attitude Pre Hodgson was spot on, everything about him oozed class. Ultimately it's his loss, and we have been laughing all the way to the bank.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the first game that the 'Torres Bounce' got going at Anfield & the excitement on the Kop & the feeling I got after his performance at Reading in the League Cup & realising we had a superstar on our hands & I find it hard to hate him.

Agree with this. Shouted a fair amount of bile at him from the Upper Shed on his Chelsea debut, but with winning that game, and Suarez going on to be amazing, I lost any anger towards Torres very quickly. I pretty much wished him well after that. I hoped he could score 15 goals for them that might have helped them stop Man Utd winning the league.

He was absolutely fucking brilliant. A joy to watch before Hodgson took over.

Fuck him. He could've had it all here and he fucked it up.

Him and Suarez would be amazing together, though.

Don't agree at all there... I think he was pretty dire throughout the previous season, injuries and loss of form (and being overplayed by club and country) took a toll on his physique (and therefore pace). His goals (we were basically set up to feed him though) masked over a lot of the deficiencies in his overall play imo. The ones having bothered to read any of my previous posts know that I don't rate strikers on goals alone...

The sulking made by him in Rafa's last season made the loss of a once great player much easier to get over... There were other notable culprits back then, but watching Torres' decline that season combined with his body language made me think we did a decent deal back in January, getting Carroll in. The latter still has the jury out on him, but I don't think we'll see him pouting his lips and shaking his head at the manager anytime soon...

He's only had one great season in his career and that was 07/08 where he was just immense.

Still good for us after that, but only in terms of sticking the ball in the net. He wasn't as explosive or unplayable as he was that season.

This I agree with, especially the part in bold.

A slight detour, but are anyone else a bit worried about our training methods/dieting etc. When I see the physique of some our rivals players compared to ours I tend to think we don't put enough emphasis on weight training and sprinting. The fact that a few of our players seem to be in better physical condition before they come to us than after being with us for a while worries me (and has done for the last couple of decades)... The same goes for coming back from injuries. Perhaps I'm making things up?

Edited by lebron

Ye its strange though I have been waiting for him to magically just get again but doesn't look like it will ever happen.

Anyone still backing him to come good for Chelsea?

It has been the most rapid decline of any 'world class' striker I have ever seen, particularly one of his age.

I think quite a few people in my FF superleague were putting him in their teams the other week as Chelsea had two "easy" home games against WBA and Norwich. I still didn't fancy him and low and behold he proved me right.

It was so depressing the season we finished 2nd to the Mancs.

The second half of the season was truly epic.

Him, Stevie, Xabi, Mascher, Kuyt, Carra, Arbeloa plus most of the squad when called upon were amazing.

I really thought we had something special going.

Then it all went to shite. :(

This year since January is the first time I've felt anything close to that and ever since then I can feel it building. We're making the right moves and if we keep going we'll be a real force again soon.

It was so depressing the season we finished 2nd to the Mancs.

The second half of the season was truly epic.

Him, Stevie, Xabi, Mascher, Kuyt, Carra, Arbeloa plus most of the squad when called upon were amazing.

I really thought we had something special going.

Then it all went to shite. :(

This year since January is the first time I've felt anything close to that and ever since then I can feel it building. We're making the right moves and if we keep going we'll be a real force again soon.

Our defensive mistakes lost us the league that year. Especially against Arsenal.

Without having any stats to hand I remember someone making a good point once that he's always had a very average goal scoring record apart from one particular phase in his career and that was his time under Rafa.

Fernando Torres - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Years Team Apps (Gls)

2001–2007 Atlético Madrid 214 (82)

2007–2011 Liverpool 102 (65)

2011– Chelsea 19 (1)

Despite losing at least 12 months to pissing around and sulking, he still got 65 goals in 102 games for us. That is simply phenomenal. For almost all the period between the League Cup hat-trick at Reading and beating the Mancs 2-0 at Anfield in October 2009 he was a joy to watch and a nightmare to play against.

Even the way he left can't taint the happy memories of the good times.

(He's a cunt now, mind.)

At his best, he is the best striker in the world.

That hasn't been seen for 18 months, an eternity in football, which makes the £50m we duped Chelsea out of all the better.

The impact of Suarez has negated any bad feelings I had about him going.

Our greatest ever piece of transfer business, all considered?